Pilots Find Mysterious Metal Monolith in Desert

Doc Reeves

1 hour ago, next2naus said:

if the ricks are already there, and there by nature, and someone simply organizes or collects them into a stack/cairn...how is that litter?

Because it’s interfering with the beauty of nature.  No one goes to a park or forest to see stacks of rocks that people made so they could post on Instagram.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

Because it’s interfering with the beauty of nature.  No one goes to a park or forest to see stacks of rocks that people made so they could post on Instagram.   

I'd agree on the spots where people are building lots of them just because.  But a single cairn in the right spot to help identify where a trail goes is perfectly acceptable.

I'd agree on the spots where people are building lots of them just because.  But a single cairn in the right spot to help identify where a trail goes is perfectly acceptable.

Meh. We hiked up to a glacier with a rocky beach on the little outflow beach in Norway last year. There were some great stones to stack, so the boy did so (it was pretty impressive, actually). I’m sure someone came along later that day and knocked it down and made another. It’s a harmless small piece of creativity that doesn’t leave a permanent mark on the land. And if the sight of it bothers you, you can knock the stones back to the ground with a flick of your foot. Y’all need to freaking relax.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Ha ha. You just KNOW that it's sitting in somebody's dorm room.

I just hope whoever took it puts it somewhere new and then releases clues on Twitter. That would be a fun treasure hunt to follow. Of course some idiots would kill their selves so probably a bad idea. 

On 11/24/2020 at 1:31 PM, ztejas said:

Lol. Way to be a sheep and advance the narrative that they want you to.

Clearly what happened was the cloaking field was somehow compromised, making it visible to both satellite photography and the human eye.

It's pretty assuredly been there for thousands if not millions of years. All of my Scientologist buddies agree.

I'm so glad I'm not alone here grasping the reality of the situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m skeptical that a flight crew spotted it from the air. Sure they could have seen sunlight reflected and investigated but it’s more likely those guys knew it was there. And it could have just been that a buddy found it, and told one of them the location.

They were counting big horn sheep in a helicopter; pretty low level flying.  Probably no more than a few hundred feet up.  

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Meh. We hiked up to a glacier with a rocky beach on the little outflow beach in Norway last year. There were some great stones to stack, so the boy did so (it was pretty impressive, actually). I’m sure someone came along later that day and knocked it down and made another. It’s a harmless small piece of creativity that doesn’t leave a permanent mark on the land. And if the sight of it bothers you, you can knock the stones back to the ground with a flick of your foot. Y’all need to freaking relax.

I knocked over some cairns near Zion NP. It was an overlook mini hike off a parking lot, so the cairns served zero functional purpose. 

i didn’t know some teenager and her mom Karen nearby were the cairn “artists”.  

They asked “why did you do that”, I answered “leave no trace, right?”  they started following and berating me all the way down to the parking lot.   “that’s not a rule - nobody says that”.  I suggested they check with the ranger station at the lot. They didn’t. They got in their SUV and flipped me off on their way out. 

Nice gals, those 2

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It's all cool until someone following the cairns that are supposed to be there gets off trail and ends up spending a week in the desert with nothing but a little bacteria filled water to wet her mouth every now and then.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m skeptical that a flight crew spotted it from the air. Sure they could have seen sunlight reflected and investigated but it’s more likely those guys knew it was there. And it could have just been that a buddy found it, and told one of them the location.

21 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

They were counting big horn sheep in a helicopter; pretty low level flying.  Probably no more than a few hundred feet up.  

This. You're flying across the desert and you see a flash, you go back and investigate. It could be someone stranded.

21 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nobody should be stacking anything in a national park ever unless it's firewood in a designated campsite.  

Hell they've discontinued battlefield horseback tours at Gettysburg because they were worried about the horses trampling the blades of grass, and creating paths on the battlefield.

Yankees are aggy?  

28 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

I wonder what happened?

Someone came and picked it up. Where did it go?

I want answers!!!!

Here's your answer -- it went to Romania.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9001495/Now-mysterious-Arthur-C-Clarke-style-monolith-appears-ROMANIA-vanished-Utah.html

img_1606749956656_851.jpg

We can stop worrying about the pandemic - the alien enslavement campaign will take us long before COVID will.

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Here's your answer -- it went to Romania.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9001495/Now-mysterious-Arthur-C-Clarke-style-monolith-appears-ROMANIA-vanished-Utah.html

We can stop worrying about the pandemic - the alien enslavement campaign will take us long before COVID will.

Not if COVID kills the aliens...

3 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

I wonder what happened?

Someone came and picked it up. Where did it go?

I want answers!!!!

Its now on the surface of Jupiter, replicating at an exponential rate. Once the entire planet is covered, the monolith will cause the hydrogen in Jupiter's atmosphere to begin fusing into helium,  thus forming a second sun in our solar system. The heat and light from this new sun will allow intelligent life on Europa to evolve.

Duh.

Turns out shitheads from TikTok took it down because they are white knights and have shit else to do.

I propose we erect a larger, shittier monument in its place to the memory of the Utah Monolith.

The mysterious monolith discovered last week in a Utah desert just disappeared -- but it wasn't taken by aliens or government conspiracies. It was moved by another phenomenon: TikTokers.

Colorado adventure and outdoor lifestyle photographer Ross Bernards told CNN he saw the monolith being removed by a group of four last Friday night.

Bernards, who has about a decade of experience in hiking and navigating deserts, set out to capture photos of the world-famous monolith with a group of friends last Friday after determining its location earlier in the week.

After he and his friends had reached the location of the monolith and had been taking photos for over an hour, they heard the voices of a new group rounding the corner toward the location. Bernards assumed the group of four was there to take photos as well, but that was not the case.

"They immediately started really pushing on it, like throwing their whole-body weight into it," said Bernards. "It took them maybe three big pushes to get that thing to pop up a little bit and start turning on its side."

As soon as they were able pry the entire monolith loose, it fell straight on the ground and made a loud bang. It sounded as if someone threw their largest stew pot off a ladder as hard as they could, Bernards said.

"Once that happened, one of them said this is why you don't leave trash in the desert," said Bernards.

The group of four took the big pieces of the monolith and placed them in a wheelbarrow and said "leave no trace" as they rolled it away, said Bernards.

According to Bernards, the phrase "Leave No Trace," is a known principle in the outdoor community that encourages people who visit the outdoors to protect the environment by minimizing their impact.

Bernards and his friends did not stop the group from removing the monolith because they agreed that it needed to be removed because the area is not set up for the type of attention it was receiving and could cause damage that would negatively impact the land, he said

"It was a cool thing to see, but it also just needed to go," said Bernards. "The wilderness areas -- Mother Nature is the artist up there and we need to leave the art to her."

One of the individuals who helped remove the monolith announced in a post on social media Tuesday that he and a team were responsible for removing the monolith on the night of November 27 at around 8:30 p.m.

Sylvan Christensen, who has almost 30 thousand followers on TikTok, posted a video of the monolith strapped to a wheelbarrow and carried away with the faces of the individuals removing the structure blurred. The post has since been viewed almost 200 thousand times on TikTok.

"Don't abandon your personal property on public land if you don't want it to be taken out," Christensen wrote in a caption along with a hashtag #LeaveNoTrace.

Christensen identifies himself as a guide for Moab Adventure Tours, according to his social media.

"We removed the Utah Monolith because there are clear precedents for how we share and standardize the use of our public lands, natural wildlife, native plants, fresh water sources, and human impacts upon them," the group said in an emailed statement to CNN. "The mystery was the infatuation, and we want to use this time to unite people behind the real issues here -- we are losing our public lands -- things like this don't help

Something like that probably falls into the category of art and has been in place for years should not be subject to removal by vigilantes. Let the land managers make the decision of whether or not the area can sustain the increased attention it receives. This smacks more of a group of people who think they have more rights to public land because it is in their backyard than the rest of the general public. 

• Hook 'Em 2

-Or that their personal philosophy allows them to appreciate nature more than the layman and entitles them to do shit (on camera) that’s definitely not shallow as fuck and only for Instagram likes or TikToc subscribers

im sure those guy picked up all the trash and bits of plastic they passed on the way out there and back

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You probably don't believe in Santy Klauss either....

He commits wide scale criminal trespass and enslaves factory workers so that he could ingratiate himself to children. 

i don’t see why that should be celebrated

• Haha 1

My money is on the group of people that filmed themselves taking it down so they could virtue signal to the internet about how much they respect and love nature are the very same people that put it there in the first place.

Arrest them and charge them with theft, then when they reveal that they put it there to begin with and therefore it is not theft nail them for it.