DT: COVID-19 - Let's talk about Fat fucks

BabaYaga

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The problem is we're still old and fat

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Look around at the fucking mall, bingo parlor, or Chili's or wherever you go today.  Our health care system isn't even built for our obesity, propensity for cancer,

For the 1,000th time, it would be amazing if just a handful of federal or international health experts came out and had "the talk" with this segment of the population about preventative measures they can take to reduce their chances of a severe reaction to this virus or others.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not sure how you'd reconcile obesity in adults with school lunches, but ok?

You avoid children becoming obese adults by starting them as kids with healthy eating habits.  Plus a large percentage of those kids with obese parents eat 3 meals a day at school.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

For the 1,000th time, it would be amazing if just a handful of federal or international health experts came out and had "the talk" with this segment of the population about preventative measures they can take to reduce their chances of a severe reaction to this virus or others.

It would be amazing.  Like what if we started talking to people while they were kids about healthy eating habits and exercise?  We already spend billions doing that and it's gotten us nowhere.  A lot of that old/fat segment just don't like to be told what to do.  They don't want to change their habits, be safer, be kinder, or even to wear masks.  "I've made it this far, aint' gonna change now" is pretty much their mantra.  I understand you mean we need the most vulnerable to the virus to be thinner right now...but that's just as hard.  These people are't gonna shed 70 pounds before the vaccine gets here.  They can't stop being hispanic or black before the vaccine gets here.  I've lost about 10-15 since pandemic started, but I still need to drop another 20+ but I doubt I get there before vaccination.  And I can't stop from being half-Hispanic.  And I can't go back in time and not get pleurisy in my lungs which could effect how I react to Covid-19.  But I sure as shit can social distance, wear a mask, insist others wear masks around me, not gather unneccesarily, and just not be an idiotic asshole in general 

True story---I was working 90 hours a week for a Fortune 100 company and was gaining weight.  Eating late and sitting at a desk, too tired to exercise when I got home.  Repeatedly seeing Pres. Bush jogging and mountain biking though.  I figured, "If he has the time with the demands on him, even at his age, to get on the bike or jog a couple miles...I can sure as shit do it with my schedule."  And I stuck with it a couple of years until life just got in the way again.  But it felt good to look up to him like that, it felt like when I was in grade school and got my Presidential Fitness gold medal from Reagan (along with a million other kids).  Guess what I'm tempted to do these days?  

Edited by Lobo

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You avoid children becoming obese adults by starting them as kids with healthy eating habits.  

Fine Captain Obvious.  We're talking about a current pandemic that decimates a current demographic of the population - unless we are intimating this virus will be with us decades later when these school aged children grow up?

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

It would be amazing.  Like what if we started talking to people while they were kids about healthy eating habits and exercise?  We already spend billions doing that and it's gotten us nowhere.  A lot of that old/fat segment just don't like to be told what to do.  They don't want to change their habits, be safer, be kinder, or even to wear masks.  "I've made it this far, aint' gonna change now" is pretty much their mantra.  

True story---I was working 90 hours a week for a Fortune 100 company and was gaining weight.  Eating late and sitting at a desk, too tired to exercise when I got home.  Repeatedly seeing Pres. Bush jogging and mountain biking though.  I figured, "If he has the time with the demands on him, even at his age, to get on the bike or jog a couple miles...I can sure as shit do it with my schedule."  And I stuck with it a couple of years until life just got in the way again.  But it felt good to look up to him like that, it felt like when I was in grade school and got my Presidential Fitness gold medal from Reagan (along with a million other kids).  Guess what I'm tempted to do these days?  

Again, all well and good - and decade later it might bear fruit.  I'm talking about the jelly-bellies in the population TODAY.  Those with the laundry list of comorbidity factors that are at the highest risk.  Those that COULD change their habits, to your point, with a little federal or international attention.  It's maddening.  We tell them wear a mask, then check the list and move on while they are at risk for dozens of other complications.  

I get what you're saying and I agree in part.  But in a matter of months, you want 100 million adult Americans who are overweight to change course?  That's insane.  How do that many people lose that much weight?  How do that many people eliminate their co-morbidities?  How do that many people reverse the fact that they are over 55?  And how is all of this done, at scale, in a matter of months?  If you have any thoughts on how to do this, I am all fucking ears.  

There's a reason Fauci calls it Mitigation, not Elimination or even Prevention (and probably why so many people want him dead apparently).  We're gonna lose people no matter what from morbidly obese 80 year olds to healthy 3 year olds, sadly.  But what most of us can do is step up and help not get the old and/or fat people infected. 

Sidenote-I am not judging, I gotta drop 15-20 pounds before my next birthday.  I really never paid much attention to other people while I'm out in public unless it's got a nice ass on the back of it.  But I am just in shock at the number of really obese people over 60 out and about lately.  I mean, not the grandpa with the belly or the pear-shaped woman from HR who's getting to retirement age.  I mean like 300lbs+ and well north of 55.  Just out in hordes lately.  I guess they were always out, but you hear about comorbidities and age risk for a year, you're gonna notice 'em.  And they are out in force.  

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I get what you're saying and I agree in part.  But in a matter of months, you want 100 million adult Americans who are overweight to change course?  That's insane.  How do that many people lose that much weight?  How do that many people eliminate their co-morbidities?  How do that many people reverse the fact that they are over 55?  And how is all of this done, at scale, in a matter of months?  If you have any thoughts on how to do this, I am all fucking ears.  

There's a reason Fauci calls it Mitigation, not Elimination or even Prevention (and probably why so many people want him dead apparently).  We're gonna lose people no matter what from morbidly obese 80 year olds to healthy 3 year olds, sadly.  But what most of us can do is step up and help not get the old and/or fat people infected. 

Sidenote-I am not judging, I gotta drop 15-20 pounds before my next birthday.  I really never paid much attention to other people while I'm out in public unless it's got a nice ass on the back of it.  But I am just in shock at the number of really obese people over 60 out and about lately.  I mean, not the grandpa with the belly or the pear-shaped woman from HR who's getting to retirement age.  I mean like 300lbs+ and well north of 55.  Just out in hordes lately.  I guess they were always out, but you hear about comorbidities and age risk for a year, you're gonna notice 'em.  And they are out in force.  

To change course means to start.  That's what we want.  A start.  You'd be surprised how much weight you can actually drop when you have the discipline to get it done.  Kids lunches.  Fine.  Teenagers that are becoming at risk.  Fine.  The biggest demographic however are the older adults that are slowly dying from all the bullshit they shove down their pie-holes.

It will fall of deaf ears for most.  But some will make the change.  

33 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Exactly - Baffles me how there is such a level of social disdain for smoking, but not for stuffing a bag of Arby's down your throat and a XL Coke.  As for the highlighted part, that is what I'm getting at; yet not seeing for any major health outlets, domestic or international?

Arby's has better commercials. I mean, THEY HAVE THE MEATS.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Complete horseshit, of course, but slipped in there for appeal to emotion.

Yeah it would be terribly tragic if children died.  Even sickly ones.

But know how many healthy 3 year olds died because of Covid? How many people under the age of 20 died in this great battleground of El Paso county? none. 

In my entire country?  NONE.  2 deaths to people under the age of 39.  Total.  For the year.

Maybe they'll develop irreparable lung damage and speak in tongues for the rest of their lives.  Maybe.  And that would be worthy of consideration, when supported by facts and evidence.  But throwing outright lies around like this doesnt at all help the conversation.

21 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

We get it. America is fat. Fat people are more at risk of Covid. So what? What's your point? 

You don't have one. It's one more in a line of posts attempting to obfuscate the real issues behind Covid. "Look, a squirrel!". It's not a productive conversation - but you already know that. That's sort of the point. You and the "Covid is the flu!" crew continue to throw dumb ass low-information nonsense at the wall and then pivot when you're repeatedly proven wrong. 

Besides the general point of how useless the conversation around fat people is, who do you think has caused more Covid deaths? Fat people, or "muh freedoms" people like you that feel like it's totally okay for you to go and engage in needlessly risky activities and ultimately create more virus spread? 

We all know the answer. The fat people sidebar is just another of many attempts to derail the conversation away from people like you who believe that their freedom to go eat jalapeno poppers is more important than a duty to be a responsible and conscientious member of a society. 

"Well, it's certainly not me and all of my friends who are going and engaging in known risky behaviors that are creating unnecessary spread of Covid - it's the fat people!"

We all see through it. 

in my new favorite city of el paso, 4 times as many people die from heart disease and diabeetus , every year, than from covid. 

thats a fact. not obfuscation like.... imaginary 3 year olds and bodies spilling out of graves.

interpret from those numbers any point you want.  if you cant - youre the dumbass.

16 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

We get it. America is fat. Fat people are more at risk of Covid. So what? What's your point? 

You don't have one. It's one more in a line of posts attempting to obfuscate the real issues behind Covid. "Look, a squirrel!". It's not a productive conversation - but you already know that. That's sort of the point. You and the "Covid is the flu!" crew continue to throw dumb ass low-information nonsense at the wall and then pivot when you're repeatedly proven wrong. 

Besides the general point of how useless the conversation around fat people is, who do you think has caused more Covid deaths? Fat people, or "muh freedoms" people like you that feel like it's totally okay for you to go and engage in needlessly risky activities and ultimately create more virus spread? 

We all know the answer. The fat people sidebar is just another of many attempts to derail the conversation away from people like you who believe that their freedom to go eat jalapeno poppers is more important than a duty to be a responsible and conscientious member of a society. 

"Well, it's certainly not me and all of my friends who are going and engaging in known risky behaviors that are creating unnecessary spread of Covid - it's the fat people!"

We all see through it. 

Nice straw man.  Really kicked the shit out of it this time.  You really have to appreciate the irony of the statement of "only understanding black and white topics" from someone who's only focus is wearing a small piece of cloth over your nose and mouth (which the vast majority of people are doing anyway)

Again, the point as readily stated that there is a clear correlation between the comorbidity factors once infected with the virus.  Vit D levels.  BMI.  Lifestyle.  Smoking occurrences.  Masks and distancing help with transmission.  That is a small part of the equation.  Reducing these comorbidity factors once you have it is going to play a massive role in your recovery.  

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we are likely worse off healthwise AND, due to medicine advances, more people are living longer with co-morbidities that when something like this happens that attacks older people/comorbid folks its going to be worse.

Spot on. 

(Insert advertisement)

Ask your doctor if FATTYREDUCENOWPILL is right for you.

WTF are y’all arguing about? America must remain on its current course. Can you imagine the economic devastation to some industries if America became healthy and fit? The fast food industry, the medical/pharma industry. They would make less profit, and we can’t have that. What’s best for corporate America is best for America, don’t you know?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Complete horseshit, of course, but slipped in there for appeal to emotion.

Yeah it would be terribly tragic if children died.  Even sickly ones.

But know how many healthy 3 year olds died because of Covid? How many people under the age of 20 died in this great battleground of El Paso county? none. 

In my entire country?  NONE.  2 deaths to people under the age of 39.  Total.  For the year.

Maybe they'll develop irreparable lung damage and speak in tongues for the rest of their lives.  Maybe.  And that would be worthy of consideration, when supported by facts and evidence.  But throwing outright lies around like this doesnt at all help the conversation.

I said that no matter what we did, we were always gonna lose Some people to the virus.  From the obvious demographics down to even healthy three year olds.  We have lost more than one healthy three year old to the virus so my statement is 100% factual and beyond reproach.  Children have died from this and it is tragic.  It is the outlier and thank god, not the norm.  But it has happened.  That was my point, that it will still arbitrarily take the lives of all kinds of outlier groups but that we should mitigate the “meaty” part of the curve.  

you said it WOULD BE TRAGIC IF children died.  They have died from this dumbass.  Not in large numbers.  That’s the fucking point, we can’t shut things down for data outlier.   But we can plan for the bulk of society.  

do you read good?

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Nice straw man.  Really kicked the shit out of it this time.  You really have to appreciate the irony of the statement of "only understanding black and white topics" from someone who's only focus is wearing a small piece of cloth over your nose and mouth (which the vast majority of people are doing anyway)

Again, the point as readily stated that there is a clear correlation between the comorbidity factors once infected with the virus.  Vit D levels.  BMI.  Lifestyle.  Smoking occurrences.  Masks and distancing help with transmission.  That is a small part of the equation.  Reducing these comorbidity factors once you have it is going to play a massive role in your recovery.  

It's easier to make other people wear mask than it is to make Brad lose weight

there is so much irony in this thread. advocating for a healthy eating/exercise/weight loss initiative at a national level. in this country. we have real, recent experiences of how well that message is received by...a certain 'segment' of the population. which has significant crossover with the segment pissed about health and safety protocols implemented at local levels in this country impinging on their freedom. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Is OP really under the impression that obese people don't already realize that their weight puts them at greater risk for most health concerns, including this one? Like, seriously? "Hmm, I can deal with the looming threat of heart disease and diabetes. But COVID too? NOW I'll really change my habits and listen to my doctor because the government strenuously asked me to."

What an utterly pointless thought exercise.

• Hook 'Em 1

~82% of deaths across US are those >60 years old.

Numerous studies have come out linking obesity as a major driver of deaths in those >60.

El Paso eg has among the highest (if not the highest) diabetes rates in the country.

This disease is killing the old and the overweight. Yes there are the occasional "fit" people that have died, just like there are marathoners that fall dead of heart attacks on occasion. (doesn't mean you shouldn't run)

4 people in Travis County <30 have died from this virus. (out of 14,970 cases) (40.7% of all cases in Travis County to date). This is a 0.03% mortality rate.

People have been saying "listen to the data/science". The data and science says if you are fat and/or old and catch this you have a real good chance of dying or getting very sick, if you are younger/healthy you will typically have light to no symptoms. No one wants to have this discussion.

Yet unfortunately people are conflating "body positivity" and obesity. You can be body positive yet at the same time not weigh 400 pounds at 5'3" tall. Politicians won't touch this issue as most of their voters are fatasses and they don't want to alienate them. In addition huge $ flow in from food conglomerates, sugar producers etc

Ultimately once CV19 runs its course the US would have removed from the health care system a lot of old people and fat people that are a huge suck of resources and health care related costs. In addition those that are severely obese are a drain on the economy due to time off/illness/other obesity related issues.

If you are fat and/or old you should look at CV19 as the worst fucking peanut allergy imaginable. If you had a severe peanut allergy you'd make damn sure that what you were eating didn't contain nuts. Instead people are just shouting "YOLO" and trying to get mad at/argue with a fucking virus that gives zero fucks.

TL/DR - If you are fat and/or old stay the fuck home.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

~82% of deaths across US are those >60 years old.

Numerous studies have come out linking obesity as a major driver of deaths in those >60.

El Paso eg has among the highest (if not the highest) diabetes rates in the country.

This disease is killing the old and the overweight. Yes there are the occasional "fit" people that have died, just like there are marathoners that fall dead of heart attacks on occasion. (doesn't mean you shouldn't run)

4 people in Travis County <30 have died from this virus. (out of 14,970 cases) (40.7% of all cases in Travis County to date). This is a 0.03% mortality rate.

People have been saying "listen to the data/science". The data and science says if you are fat and/or old and catch this you have a real good chance of dying or getting very sick, if you are younger/healthy you will typically have light to no symptoms. No one wants to have this discussion.

Yet unfortunately people are conflating "body positivity" and obesity. You can be body positive yet at the same time not weigh 400 pounds at 5'3" tall. Politicians won't touch this issue as most of their voters are fatasses and they don't want to alienate them. In addition huge $ flow in from food conglomerates, sugar producers etc

Ultimately once CV19 runs its course the US would have removed from the health care system a lot of old people and fat people that are a huge suck of resources and health care related costs. In addition those that are severely obese are a drain on the economy due to time off/illness/other obesity related issues.

If you are fat and/or old you should look at CV19 as the worst fucking peanut allergy imaginable. If you had a severe peanut allergy you'd make damn sure that what you were eating didn't contain nuts. Instead people are just shouting "YOLO" and trying to get mad at/argue with a fucking virus that gives zero fucks.

TL/DR - If you are fat and/or old stay the fuck home.

raw

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Again, all well and good - and decade later it might bear fruit.  I'm talking about the jelly-bellies in the population TODAY.  Those with the laundry list of comorbidity factors that are at the highest risk.  Those that COULD change their habits, to your point, with a little federal or international attention.  It's maddening.  We tell them wear a mask, then check the list and move on while they are at risk for dozens of other complications.  

So let me get this straight.  You don't want to discuss addressing the issue in children because they they won't be in the "certain demographic" in time to be relevant to the current COVID pandemic, yet you believe that those who are currently in this higher risk group can make enough lifestyle changes to impact their susceptibility to a meaningful extent?  Brilliant.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

So let me get this straight.  You don't want to discuss addressing the issue in children because they they won't be in the "certain demographic" in time to be relevant to the current COVID pandemic, yet you believe that those who are currently in this higher risk group can make enough lifestyle changes to impact their susceptibility to a meaningful extent?  Brilliant.

You don't think someone with a high BMI when the this pandemic hit NINE months ago couldn't lose a significant amount of weight and lower the BMI to safer levels; especially with all the data correlating this as one of the most dangerous, yet curable comorbidity factors?  Brilliant

I was talking to a doctor in a meeting a couple of weeks ago and he considers our current state of health a national security issue. He was talking about obesity in addition to other things such as lack of exercise. He contends that there will be other pandemics that come along in our lifetimes as the world is becoming more interconnected. The US is at greater risk to economic shutdowns for prolonged periods than other countries due to our lack of overall health. He did give us credit for taking on smoking though.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I was talking to a doctor in a meeting a couple of weeks ago and he considers our current state of health a national security issue. He was talking about obesity in addition to other things such as lack of exercise. He contends that there will be other pandemics that come along in our lifetimes as the world is becoming more interconnected. The US is at greater risk to economic shutdowns for prolonged periods than other countries due to our lack of overall health. He did give us credit for taking on smoking though.

Social Security is saved!!!!

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You don't think someone with a high BMI when the this pandemic hit NINE months ago couldn't lose a significant amount of weight and lower the BMI to safer levels; especially with all the data correlating this as one of the most dangerous, yet curable comorbidity factors?  Brilliant

Are you saying there is still time for many of them to lose enough weight before this thing is over to reduce their chances of dying from it or are you going to transport them in your time machine to last February so they can get started soon enough to make a difference?  Sure, starting a weight loss program right now might help some unfortunate fat bastard who contracts COVID next March, but at this point, the impact to your premise is not going to be significant to anyone other than said fat bastard.  

I don't think there is anyone who would argue that there is no benefit for morbidly obese people to lose weight.  What many of us are trying to understand is why you are attempting to specifically tie this crisis to COVID.  Morbidly obese people have a higher risk of mortality for any number of ailments.  That tree is blocking your view of the forest.  

Edited by idigTexas
OU sucks

5 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Exactly - it's all interconnected.  Hell, Vitamin D levels, which are shown to have a dramatic impact on health, and especially this virus - not a peep.  Study I saw in NY, 76% of those admitted had such low levels of D that they were almost undetectable.  Only 4% had acceptable levels.  There is such a clear vector between heath and this virus' impact on the host, a national epidemic of obesity, a window of opportunity to correlate the two, and yet nothing.  

To the mask crowd, there has been an overwhelming surge in usage.  I cannot name a single establishment I have gone on or seen that doesn't require usage.  

32 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

This. We should absolutely continue to stress healthy eating choices in children, using the post mortem of this pandemic to emphasize the serious risks associated with obesity in preparation of the next one.

Spending resources on "Quick, lose 50 pounds now, or you might die!" on adults during the pandemic is utterly moronic. It's about 68th on the list of priorities to reasonably slow the spread in real time. Sure, if the other 67 items are well-covered and disseminated (which they obviously are not), go for it.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Eat fried chicken and bang porn stars?

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

there is so much irony in this thread. advocating for a healthy eating/exercise/weight loss initiative at a national level. in this country. we have real, recent experiences of how well that message is received by...a certain 'segment' of the population. which has significant crossover with the segment pissed about health and safety protocols implemented at local levels in this country impinging on their freedom. 

what segment is that?

3 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Are you saying there is still time for many of them to lose enough weight before this thing is over to make a difference or are you going to transport them in your time machine to February so they can get started soon enough to make a difference?  Sure, starting a weight loss program right now might help some unfortunate fat bastard who contracts COVID next March, but at this point, the impact to your premise is not going to be significant to anyone other than said fat bastard.  

I don't think there is anyone who would argue that there is no benefit for morbidly obese people to lose weight.  What many of us are trying to understand is why you are attempting to specifically tie this crisis to COVID.  Morbidly obese people have a higher risk of mortality for any number of ailments.  That tree is blocking your view of the forest.  

Read this again

Then this

t's all interconnected.  Hell, Vitamin D levels, which are shown to have a dramatic impact on health, and especially this virus - not a peep.  Study I saw in NY, 76% of those admitted had such low levels of D that they were almost undetectable.  Only 4% had acceptable levels.  There is such a clear vector between heath and this virus' impact on the host, a national epidemic of obesity, a window of opportunity to correlate the two, and yet nothing.  

And put the two together - the vector with this disease and the unhealthy is astronomical in terms of comorbidity factors.  Weight gain.  Adipose tissue and the spread of the virus.  Consideration for obesity and Vit D.  Cardiorespitory fitness levels and the virus.  The overall message is the severity of the virus on those that are obese and how this is such a non-factor for most?  The disconnect is staggering?  Especially with the mortality numbers for those that are obese

Some light reading on the topic

Dozens of articles on the subject

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Exactly - it's all interconnected.  Hell, Vitamin D levels, which are shown to have a dramatic impact on health, and especially this virus - not a peep.  Study I saw in NY, 76% of those admitted had such low levels of D that they were almost undetectable.  Only 4% had acceptable levels.  There is such a clear vector between heath and this virus' impact on the host, a national epidemic of obesity, a window of opportunity to correlate the two, and yet nothing.  

To the mask crowd, there has been an overwhelming surge in usage.  I cannot name a single establishment I have gone on or seen that doesn't require usage.  

NO ONE IS WEARING MASKS!!!