Mashed potatoes?

Hpara759

22 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Bobby Flay is quite the douchebag, but his mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and mascarpone cheese slams in the paint.

Recipe

But if we're talking every day mashed potatoes, a shitload of butter and heavy cream does the trick.

did you get the tip that heavy cream does the trick from your mom?

Bobby Flay is quite the douchebag, but his mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and mascarpone cheese slams in the paint.
Recipe
But if we're talking every day mashed potatoes, a shitload of butter and heavy cream does the trick.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-bobby-flays-insane-divorce-boob-jobs-january-jones-and-a-cheater-plane-banner

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I don't get too complicated.  Boil and drain potatoes (leave skin on).  Use a masher and add lots of butter, whole milk, and sour cream.  Salt and Pepper (or Morton's Nature Seasons) to taste. 

Edited by dcbc

3 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

What a read. March sounds like she sucks. Flay seems like someone you'd be better off not marrying. 

Having January Jones as a fuckin side piece is winning.

15 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Some of y'all are putting way too much thought into something you're just putting your dick in. Buy the pre-made stuff at HEB and call it a day. Your dick isn't going to know the difference. 

What your wife does with the mashed potatoes after I'm done putting my dick in them is none of your business.

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

Butter. A lot of butter and some cream or half and half makes for great mashed potatoes. Freshly ground pepper too.

This right here. 

Use red potatoes, quarter them, boil until just soft enough to break apart - around 15 minutes. You over cook them they have too much water content  

Add a ton of butter, salt and a little pepper, start mashing or whipping. Add cream or half and half in small quantities and continue mashing.

Test the consistency. Too thick for you, add a little more cream or half and half until you get the consistency you like. 

Seriously, great mashed potatoes are easy to accomplish. 

Good luck, OP.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I don't get too complicated.  Boil and drain potatoes (leave skin on).  Use a masher and add lots of butter, whole milk, and sour cream.  Salt and Pepper (or Morton's Nature Seasons) to taste. 

I hate skins in my mashed potatoes.

They are supposed to be uniform, homogeneous blobs of white or off-white creaminess.  The only discoloration should be black pepper.

Sour cream and cream cheese are excellent additives.  Note that they, like potatoes, are white and add to and do not detract from, the creamy homogeneous uniformity that defines mashed potatoes.

Put your cream and butter in a mixing bowl before you even peel the potatoes. This allows it to come to room temp before hitting the potatoes and causing them to seize up. (Hattip to MyOtherBrotherDarrell for that one.)

Also regarding black pepper, many pundits call for ground white pepper just to enhance its homogeneity.

I don’t bother as some of my best friends are homogeneous. 

Modified Robuchon. Using ricer instead of masher is key

Ingredients

4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (medium peeled and halved) 

Kosher salt 

6 sticks unsalted butter (1 1/2 pounds cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes) 

0.5 cup heavy cream 

How to Make It

In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons of salt and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well and let stand in a colander for 3 minutes.

Pass the potatoes through a ricer into the large saucepan. Cook over moderate heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the potatoes are hot and steam starts to rise, about 2 minutes; they’ll start to stick to the bottom of the pan. Add one-fourth of the butter cubes at a time, stirring constantly until incorporated. Stir in the heavy cream and season generously with salt. Serve right away.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If I’m not having gravy with them, I’ll cook them in light chicken broth instead of water.  Then the cream, butter etc like everyone else said.

Don't really understand that need for this. Potatoes don't absorb much liquid during cooking. 

Edited by TonyTexas

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

They are supposed to be uniform, homogeneous blobs of white or off-white creaminess.  The only discoloration should be black pepper.

Sour cream and cream cheese are excellent additives.  Note that they, like potatoes, are white and add to and do not detract from, the creamy homogeneous uniformity that defines mashed potatoes.

You probably think Wonder bread is the best bread in the world....

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, fuck this Neanderthal shit with leaving the skins on. That’s what baked potatoes are for.

We'll make a special batch just for you two and my eleven year old.  I'm picking up lunchables, too.  You guys want ham, pizza, or the more traditional turkey?

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If I’m not having gravy with them, I’ll cook them in light chicken broth instead of water.  Then the cream, butter etc like everyone else said.

The older I get, and the more I cook, the more I've come to realize that cooking shit in chicken broth is the secret.

10 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

Just coming to post this. I also think the food mill is a great addition as it removes the possibility of over whipping with a hand mixer.

This is what you want. 

71g9fUdPohL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

/ricer sounds interesting though. 

Edited by dcbc

My most recent batch:

2 medium russets peeled and cut into sixths, ( one axial cut, three medial cuts)

boil for twenty minutes until a fork easily pierces but does not break the tater

2tbs butter and about 1/3 cup milk in a mixing bowl and allowed to warm to room temp. (Actually, I floated the bowl over the potatoes until the butter melted.)

When the potatoes were done, I drained the pan and added the potatoes to the mixing bowl and used a manual potato masher and when mostly mashed, used a fork to “whip ‘em good”. 

Salt and fresh black pepper to taste. 

easypeasy. I ate the leftovers in beef and veg soup. You can also use them for potato soup but that’s a different post. 

Edited by DoobieWah
Manual masher as pictured in post above.

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep.  Mine are yukon golds, cream, butter, cream cheese, salt.  That's it.  And if ever add pepper I use white.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You probably think Wonder bread is the best bread in the world....

Well, mashed potatoes, without a modifier, as in your "wasabi mashed potatoes," are a bit equivalent to wonder bread.  Everything has it's time and place, but if we're talking just plain mashed taters, they should be Aryan KKK white n smoove.

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, mashed potatoes, without a modifier, as in your "wasabi mashed potatoes," are a bit equivalent to wonder bread.  Everything has it's time and place, but if we're talking just plain mashed taters, they should be Aryan KKK white n smoove.

That needs to be name.. I'll have the aryan white taters please....  with extra KKK please...

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You apparently are my mashed potato sworn enemy.

This or GTFO.

image.thumb.jpeg.07c38069416ce5450b2d2e20abd27b17.jpeg

Haven't seen one of those before, and I kind of like it.  I was really speaking more to the using a "masher" versus a hand mixer since this isn't the whipped potatoes thread. 

I'm convinced we don't need to be tater enemies and can find some common ground, like a friend and I did with your mom the other night. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Master Race Mashed Potatoes?

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2020 at 9:00 AM, dcbc said:

This is what you want. 

71g9fUdPohL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

/ricer sounds interesting though. 

This is what we use except ours is ancient and belonged to my husband's grandmother and has a wooden handle. I add one stick of butter, salt, and depending upon what is on hand either milk, half-and-half, or cream and sometimes it's a blend of them. I get them pretty smooth.

I've offered to make variations: there's one with cream cheese (Pioneer Woman) or garlic potatoes but they like the plain mashed potatoes best.

• Hook 'Em 1