Thanksgiving Day Menu Thread of COVID-19 Total Domination with Food Prons

Anastasis

NY strip steak

mashed potatoes

fresh green beans with garlic( from produce section, cut ends and blanche and then sauté until perfectly al dente with lots of butter)

sautéed mushrooms and caramelized onions for on top of steak

Malbec wine rested in a pitcher for full peppery flavor

coffee with Irish Cream liqueur from County Cork. I wish I had pie but this alone is a delish dessert.

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Hook 'Em 1

Stuffing vs Dressing. Do any of y’all do dressing instead? Same concept but the consistency is way better. Probably my favorite food on thanksgiving

My step mom bakes it in muffin tins. This serves two purposes: each stuffing muffin is a reasonable serving size, and it never gets too mushy.

30 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Tone honest hardest part is not losing a finger tip in the mandolin. 

I fucked that part up the first time I tried that recipe. Took a huge chuck out of the knuckle on my middle finger. It happened fast. The cut didn't hurt too much, but I wrapped the damn thing in gauze because I refused to spend Christmas at the ER. Gauze dried to the cut. Getting it off was one of the most painful things I can remember, even six Boulevardiers in. I went to the doctor the next day and he had to use some foam dressing to get the bleeding to stop. It took six weeks for the wound to fully heal. The next year I just sliced the potatoes with a knife. Turned out great. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

but the wife wanted it.

NervousIcyBonobo-small.gif

Speaking of green bean casserole.  Wife mixed it up a little bit and sauteed some portabella and shiitake mushrooms in butter, working them into the cream of mushroom and I'll be damned if it wasn't the most legit green bean casserole ever.  

• Like 3

Cocktail Hour:  
Cranberry-Range Spritz
Cider Whiskey Sour

Dinner:
Buttermilk brined turkey 
Brioche stuffing with chestnuts and figs
Fiery sweet potatoes (basically mashed sweet potatoes made with red curry and coconut milk)
Cider-glazed brussels
Cranberry-orange jelly (Port, Grand Marnier, and fresh cranberries molded into Darth Vader (fingers crossed it comes out))
Parker House rolls (scratch)
Galatoire's sweet potato cheesecake 
Wine (Not sure which ones yet)

I might be by myself with the dogs (might have a neighbor or two pop over), but I will eat well.  Fuck COVID.

Ended up just drinking wine at cocktail hour, but I've tried those cocktails this week, and they are tasty.

The only thing I ended up not making was the rolls. Just too much proving and other stuff to do.

b9bd4c5688c945c44f9bc39779e7bf19.jpgd057033312749b0eafe34512583ab0c0.jpgce6536489f50873ff1ec04f4920cbdaa.jpg87bd098ac6a70bbaf7cf5a2262748c65.jpg782093805af75bcca95ced4a7da2c0cf.jpg4d6c3baade43be77007bbe59b74ddfe3.jpgfc7b03fbbeb4dea356808117af1c326d.jpg6f6e5dd07a65df48a8176d3d362bf6a2.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

Round 1 @ dad's.

20201126_155237.thumb.jpg.cc4d532d6757ac6b7279de038fdcaf16.jpg

Sensation salad, jello salad (courtesy of very extended-family Nebraskans), taters, brussels, lobster mac and cheese, Perini Ranch smoked tenderloin (only "cheat" item).

And the best part - I didn't have to cook any of it.

I don't know about your specific offering, but as someone who married into midwestern Nebraska farm folk, there are some legit righteous gelatin salads out there. You're going to have to trust me on this one.

Traditional t-day meals are my favorite get together of the year. We skipped town and went to the beach this year rather than get together with family (several work in healthcare) with the local COVID outbreaks. State championship football game is next week also and everyone was supposed to make an effort to stay quarantined, so we packed up. Cooked a ham, stuffing, potatoes, and a few other sides but it just wasn’t the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't know about your specific offering, but as someone who married into midwestern Nebraska farm folk, there are some legit righteous gelatin salads out there. You're going to have to trust me on this one.

Haha. It's not bad. Not really my cup of tea but it's an acceptable menu item. 

I think this one is red jello with mostly bananas and strawberries - sandwiching whipped cream.

Had Thanksgiving at the in laws yesterday. BIL smoked a brisket, and we also smoked a queso/sausage/Hatch chili dip.

I scrambled some brisket eggs and smothered the potatoes with the queso dip. And of course some bacon for good measure. Made a brisket egg burrito topped with homemade salsa. Did the bacon first and fried up the potatoes and then the brisket eggs in the grease.

One of my best ideas in awhile

68b8288bd2451b7069a583f3373d4bd6.jpg