Thanksgiving Day Menu Thread of COVID-19 Total Domination with Food Prons

Anastasis

We kinda went half-assed on Thanksgiving this year because it was just us but we still wanted to eat well.  Never going to do that again.  Food was a 7/10 out of where it usually is but the work was a 9/10.  From now on, we're either going all out or just cooking like any other day.

Smoked a 15 pound turkle on Saturday (a 2nd Thanksgiving aside from the in-laws, had my Mom & a friend over).

Did not brine, did a butter based mix w/ rub all under the skin as best as possible & in "all the gaps"... spatched it flat, drums to the fire box.

I'm a dark meat guy & everyone else who had the white said it was good stuff.

Ran it from around 325⁰ to 350⁰ for approx. 4 ~ 4½ hours. Rainy out w/ some cold breezes & that sorta fluctuated my temp swings, however I was sitting on the scene 90% of the time & nothing got out of hand before I was able to add some sticks, modulate the intake, etc.aa6b520d2ca7c509ca8d0b426c3a2533.jpg78c68f36bea134fb8b79a4a838510922.jpg4ad592dc9905d29fe4723eefe1172b3d.jpg29071e714821236d3a4447c9783007ac.jpgb865b9004845c7258d2a6a28054bb4a8.jpg116b4068eb9125597523dd1df78fb08d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 3

What should I do with leftover gravy?  I probably cooked down 2 gallons of homemade stock to get my quart of gravy, and now I have a pint of it leftover in the freezer.  Turkey is gone, mashed potatoes are gone, dressing is gone...but the gravy endures.  I thought about thinning it out into queso, making some kind of broccoli/rice bake, saving it for pot pie...but not sure yet.  Any other solid ideas for gravy?

5 minutes ago, fuggled said:

What should I do with leftover gravy?  I probably cooked down 2 gallons of homemade stock to get my quart of gravy, and now I have a pint of it leftover in the freezer.  Turkey is gone, mashed potatoes are gone, dressing is gone...but the gravy endures.  I thought about thinning it out into queso, making some kind of broccoli/rice bake, saving it for pot pie...but not sure yet.  Any other solid ideas for gravy?

Just use it as....gravy....the next time you make mashed potatoes?  Add fried chicken, and profit.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, fuggled said:

That's the one thing I've still got left too.  And pretty sure that if I just freeze it, it will just take up space in my freezer until I clean out the freezer next time.

1 hour ago, fuggled said:

Just fry up some potatoes and smother.  It's gravy - you aren't going wrong here.