Food You Found on the Ground, You Ate It, and It Was Good

RDCanecutter

White people two houses up from me tossed out a couple of chili de arbol plants, bursting with long red peppers, like, just threw the plants out in the STREET, man.

And yeah I'm Caucasian too. But that's a degree of whiteness I never want to know about.

So I scooped them up, brought them back home. The plants themselves probably won't make it, but I harvested a double handful of peppers off of them. Gonna eat em up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

White people two houses up from me tossed out a couple of chili de arbol plants, bursting with long red peppers, like, just threw the plants out in the STREET, man.

And yeah I'm Caucasian too. But that's a degree of whiteness I never want to know about.

So I scooped them up, brought them back home. The plants themselves probably won't make it, but I harvested a double handful of peppers off of them. Gonna eat em up.

The plants will probably make it, if you get them back into soil and keep them watered. They're incredibly hardy.

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I once found a shrimp topped filet mignon sitting on the curb in front of the 7-11 in Port Aransas. Even though I was drunk I didn't eat it. It had to be a trap. 

Good thing you're not a Klingon ship captain. Your crew would see you as weak, and attack.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

The plants will probably make it, if you get them back into soil and keep them watered. They're incredibly hardy.

I've got them settled down in a tray in the sun, in wet potting soil. Not supposed to freeze here for a while, maybe they'll recover from the shock before I need to bring them inside.

I was sure this was going to be a wild harvest thread. And I'm all up in that. Wild strawberries, wild lettuce, dandelions, dock, cress... Hell, we have wild salad once a week, at least.

We also have a wider variety of mushrooms than I have ever seen in my life, but I'm not gonna touch those. All mushroom species are edible, but some of them are only edible once.

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I was sure this was going to be a wild harvest thread. And I'm all up in that. Wild strawberries, wild lettuce, dandelions, dock, cress... Hell, we have wild salad once a week, at least.

Awesome. We do semi-wild harvesting, in that we gather things from a garden that I stopped taking care of months ago.

I knew a guy who knew John Cage. Cage would travel with a little wire basket, and ask whoever was driving him somewhere to stop, so he could forage on the side of the road. It'd all go in the basket, and at lunch that's what he'd eat.

8 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

We also have a wider variety of mushrooms than I have ever seen in my life, but I'm not gonna touch those. All mushroom species are edible, but some of them are only edible once.

Parts of China are especially known for their mushroom cuisine. We visited and it was incredible, 20-30 types in a meal, with special cooking instructions for certain ones that were toxic. They'd tell us to cook this one for 3min, this one for 10min, this one for 15min, etc.

Random video I found:

On November 29, 2020 at 2:56 PM, RDCanecutter said:

I knew a guy who knew John Cage. Cage would travel with a little wire basket, and ask whoever was driving him somewhere to stop, so he could forage on the side of the road. It'd all go in the basket, and at lunch that's what he'd eat.

In complete silence. 

17 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

When I was in high school, someone smashed a pumpkin on our front porch on or about Halloween. Probably friends of my sister's or mine. It was a fresh pumpkin. My mom took the large pieces, rinsed them, baked them, and used the meat to make a delicious pumpkin pie. 

Aw hell yeah. I used to be a pumpkin snatcher-- people would set out "decorative" pumpkins for a while in cool weather, then put them on the curb as trash because that's all the two creative synapses in their brains told them to do. I'd toss em in my car and get my wife to make pies out of them.

But then my wife informed me we could get diseases from doing that. I think she just got tired of baking pie.

Buddy of mine showed up to the fantasy football draft a few years ago with some edibles he picked up off of the ground in the parking lot of Moontower Saloon that morning when he went to get his car. I can't attest to whether they were good or not. Pretty sure he got last place that year.

Edited by BradInATX

On one of my birthdays about 15 years ago, my folks were in town and a bunch of buddies were over the house.  We had all gotten pretty hammered over the course of the day, and someone accidentally knocked the cake my mom made off the counter (it was on one of those glass cake display things).   

it landed icing down on the floor amidst all of the broken glass from the dish.   Me and my drunk friends just grabbed a handful of cake and ate it like pure Neanderthals, which was pretty indicative of our then condition.   Was a good spice cake.  Didn’t cut myself. 

1 minute ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

once drank water straight out of a ricefield. i was thirsty as fuck and had forgotten my water bottle that particular hunt.

When I was 6 or 7 I'd watch my dog drink out of mud puddles. So one day I decided to drink out of a mud puddle too. To my surprise, it tasted pretty much like regular water. Didn't do it again though.

When I was 6 or 7 I'd watch my dog drink out of mud puddles. So one day I decided to drink out of a mud puddle too. To my surprise, it tasted pretty much like regular water. Didn't do it again though.

i think i ends up with jardia or avian cholera or some such shit because had the drizzling shits real real bad.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/29/2020 at 1:45 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

See if you can find a class in foraging mushrooms.  A cousin took a class that was sponsored by the Gulf States Mycological Society and spent 2 days trudging around a forest in La.  They found over 100 different types of fungi and he said he learned 5 or 6 easily identifiable types that are great eating and learned the most prevalent poisonous ones.

14 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

On one of my birthdays about 15 years ago, my folks were in town and a bunch of buddies were over the house.  We had all gotten pretty hammered over the course of the day, and someone accidentally knocked the cake my mom made off the counter (it was on one of those glass cake display things). 

it landed icing down on the floor amidst all of the broken glass from the dish.   Me and my drunk friends just grabbed a handful of cake and ate it like pure Neanderthals, which was pretty indicative of our then condition.   Was a good spice cake.  Didn’t cut myself. 

image.jpg

• Haha 1