Texas 6 (CBS)

txhorns

On 11/25/2020 at 10:56 PM, txhorns said:

https://www.cbs.com/shows/texas-6/

Anyone else planning to watch this?  My kid plays 6 man football so I'm really looking forward to it.  It's about the Strawn football team and town.

Planning on it.  For those who don't have CBS, the first episode is up on Youtube

• 1 month later...

LOL I posted about this in the Amazon Prime thread like an idiot. And I also got the town name wrong like an idiot which is why I missed this thread.

Anyway, we watched three episodes and it's OK but not really that compelling. I suspect they are hoping the 6-man concept grabs viewers due to the novelty, but the games just look like regular football when they show highlights.

It's also notable for Craig Way posing as their radio PBP which is obviously impossible for those of us who know. But of course he does a great job describing the action.

54 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I suspect they are hoping the 6-man concept grabs viewers due to the novelty, but the games just look like regular football when they show highlights.

I'm not far in, but I wouldn't mind them letting an actual full-blown game play out over a show.  I think that would do a helluva lot more to generate hype/interest.

• 11 months later...

Necro bump.

Watching it now because my mom, of all people, recommended it to me.  (She knows the producer/director.)  Anyway, it gets really good about 4 episodes in.  Lot of dust in this damn house.  If you stopped at 3 or 4, turn it back on.  I'm watching on Paramount+ FWIW.

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Necro bump.

Watching it now because my mom, of all people, recommended it to me.  (She knows the producer/director.)  Anyway, it gets really good about 4 episodes in.  Lot of dust in this damn house.  If you stopped at 3 or 4, turn it back on.  I'm watching on Paramount+ FWIW.

Are you on the first season or the second?

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

I need to watch this considering my son plays 6 man football.

Again, it starts a tad slowly.  Once you start getting background on the families - including the coach - it gets really good.  I added the tidbit about the coach because he seems kind of douchy up front.  When it gets to his story + how he handles things in the middle of the season, you'll understand his personality better.

Cross posting.

So, I'm on episode 7 and all, "I wonder how Strawn did this year?"  Look it up, and find out they're playing in the state championship next week against Motley Co., my grandfather's HS.  I'm taking a half day, picking up my father, and heading to Jerryworld next Wed for the game. 

Gonna be cool to see some of the same folks from the doc.

9 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Cross posting.

So, I'm on episode 7 and all, "I wonder how Strawn did this year?"  Look it up, and find out they're playing in the state championship next week against Motley Co., my grandfather's HS.  I'm taking a half day, picking up my father, and heading to Jerryworld next Wed for the game. 

Gonna be cool to see some of the same folks from the doc.

Strawn has had a great year but they likely get smoked by Motley County.

CSB time.  My kid is a senior this year and never played against Motley County in high school, thankfully.  They did play them his 8th grade year.  In that game my kid and MC’s stud this year combined for 9 straight kickoff return touchdowns.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Strawn has had a great year but they likely get smoked by Motley County.

CSB time.  My kid is a senior this year and never played against Motley County in high school, thankfully.  They did play them his 8th grade year.  In that game my kid and MC’s stud this year combined for 9 straight kickoff return touchdowns.

That's awesome and explains the frequent onside kicks in the doc.  (I've never seen a 6-man game.)

7 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That's awesome and explains the frequent onside kicks in the doc.  (I've never seen a 6-man game.)

Yeah most 6 man teams use the onside kick every kick.  It prevents big returns and a good team can recover fairly often.  You win 6 man games by getting your fast players in space with the ball.  Size is good but speed is much better as speed has room to simply run away from the defenders.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some of the 6 man rules changes are:

80 yard field instead of 100

15 yards for first down (and onside kicks)

whoever takes the snap cannot advance ball past the line of scrimmage 

everyone is an eligible receiver 

Offense must have 3 players on LOS

after a TD, kicking extra point is 2 points while running/passing it in is 1 point

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This is a doc series on Paramount+ following Texas 6 man football, and the winning coach from Strawn. It is a great show and really documents all the issues of small town Texas of declining population, lack of jobs, and marginal resources, without any wokeness.

The football is highly entertaining, and is the opposite of a show like QB1. These are kids with zero football future, they aren’t getting a scholarship to any college, and are playing hard before taking a job on a ranch, or moving to DFW, or going to a community college. They love the game and their coach and the town loves them and hates their rival towns.

Second season dropped last month. Check it out.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am wondering if remote working can inject some life back in small towns.  Once my kids finish high school, there is basically no reason for me to stay in Houston.  I would prefer a small town within an hour or so of a major airport.  Hill Country has several.

I will check this series out.

58 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am wondering if remote working can inject some life back in small towns.  Once my kids finish high school, there is basically no reason for me to stay in Houston.  I would prefer a small town within an hour or so of a major airport.  Hill Country has several.

I visited an uncle over the holidays who lives in a small town, and he has Amazon Prime delivery most of the time (occasionally 3 days - he's not technically in a 2-day area, but gets most stuff in 2 days)) and cheap fiber internet (up to and including 4K streaming), and those two things right there make it a whole lot easier.

• Hook 'Em 1

I loved this series.  

A month ago, Strawn played Motley Co. in the state championship game at JerryWorld.  I got to go because my father wanted to see Motley Co. play as he lived up there as a child.  My grandfather played for Motley Co.  It was really cool to see both seasons before attending the game.  Not only did I recognize most of the players and coaches, but the camera would zoom in on the crowd, and I'd recognize some of them as well.  Sucks that they stopped after two seasons seeing as how the next season (this year) was the one in which they won state.

• Like 1