Need a new vehicle

This’ll be my version of “Sell. Me. A. Car”

My 2017 Silverado LTZ was stolen out of my driveway. I got the fucksticks on video. Total clusterfuck. Fully loaded, everything except 4 wheel drive.

My wife drives a truck so there’s really no need for us to both have one. She loves driving it and I hate driving hers as it’s a Ford.  It’s not as comfortable as my Chevy was. 

We thought about me having her truck and her getting something else but prior to Covid, I commuted to and from Houston on a daily basis. Better to get something better on gas and whatnot if and when we get back to normal.

I went and sat in accords and camrys yesterday but I feel like I need something with more room. Too cramped in a car. I’ll probably get around $30k from the insurance company for my truck, don’t want to finance anything and looking for an SUV. Anybody got any recommendations that would fit the criteria? I looked at CR-Vs and honestly, was surprised at the room inside, trunk space, and just overall niceness of the vehicle. I’ve got a kid as well so safety is more important than anything.

Sell. Me. A. Car.

Anybody got a recommendation other than “Ask your husband.” 

For the money you’re looking at a dated larger SUV or a smaller newer one.  Going from a truck to a smaller SUV is going to be a transition but you can adjust.

I’ve always been happy with the Nissan SUV’s, but a certified pre owned Tahoe is probably your best if you like the feel of a Chevy. 

The smaller SUVs are kind of inescapably feminine.  They're almost all FWD, too.  I have had two fwd vehicles and they were alright but for some torque steer.

But my last two have been RWD.  Granted, these are cars, but there's enough difference that I don't want to go back.

We have a Touring Edition Honda Pilot. It’s been good and does pretty well on gas. Plenty of room since the back two rows will fold flat. The only issue we’ve had is that sometimes when the auto engine disable kicks in it will cause the car to shut off. There is a pretty simple fix that will bypass the switch that I plan on doing later this weekend. Otherwise it’s been great. It was new when we bought it and I think it was somewhere in the 38-40k range.

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The smaller SUVs are kind of inescapably feminine

8 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

CR-V’s are for women

Buy a used Tahoe or something 

I'm not going to tell you what to buy, but don't but into the macho bull shit above.  Get what you want.  But I like smaller cars.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

It’s not macho to suggest CR-V’s are typically driven by women. It’s true. 

Having considered small-medium SUVs in my last purchase, it made me even more conscious of this fact.  It's not just CR-Vs.  It's just about all of them.

Still, drive what you want.

While you're at the Toyota dealership test driving the 4Runner, take the time to look at a Sequoia.
But whatever you do - do NOT try a Land Cruiser on for size, you'll end up buying it.

We have a 2012 Sequoia that will never die. That thing is a beast but definitely a mom car. If you want it or the Tundra, get one now. The 2022 models no longer have the bulletproof V8 and will have a new turbo charged V6 going forward.

Subscribed.  My bride just bagged her first deer in her 4Runner tonight.  It beat the shit out of the driver side front quarter panel and front end, and the steering wheel airbag deployed.  I'm guessing that means that it is "totaled."  

Holy crap I misread that initially and for a second I was about to call the battered women’s hotline.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/27/2020 at 7:18 AM, CooterBrown said:

We have a 2012 Sequoia that will never die. That thing is a beast but definitely a mom car. If you want it or the Tundra, get one now. The 2022 models no longer have the bulletproof V8 and will have a new turbo charged V6 going forward.

There are very few vehicles now that are not mom cars. Even trucks.

4Runner is the front runner right now. I’ll check out the other Toyota lineup when I hear from insurance. Don’t really need or want another truck at this point.

If rear legroom matters, make sure you sit in the back seat to test it out. I’ve seen conflicting numbers on the amount of legroom in the back. One listed the same as the Tacoma which doesn’t have enough room for my kid to sit behind me while driving. Another listed about 8” more inches which would make it fine.
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

If rear legroom matters, make sure you sit in the back seat to test it out. I’ve seen conflicting numbers on the amount of legroom in the back. One listed the same as the Tacoma which doesn’t have enough room for my kid to sit behind me while driving. Another listed about 8” more inches which would make it fine.

The only complaint I had about my silverado was the lack of legroom for my 4 year old.  He could kick me while sitting in his carseat in the middle of the back seat.  Don't have that issue in my wife's F150.

On 11/26/2020 at 6:50 AM, pearlandhorn said:

My 2017 Silverado LTZ was stolen out of my driveway. I got the fucksticks on video.

Since your immediate goal is vengeance, I say get anything with enough horsepower to drag all these guys behind it, wrapped in barbed wire. You'll want to burn all the evidence later, so obviously pay cash. And not much cash.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Leg room is much better in the 4Runner than the Tacoma. We have a 4Runner and a X5 neither have great leg room but more than enough for 6 foot adult to sit in the back. 

On 11/26/2020 at 6:50 AM, pearlandhorn said:

My 2017 Silverado LTZ was stolen out of my driveway. I got the fucksticks on video. Total clusterfuck. Fully loaded, everything except 4 wheel drive.

I like my Fords, so I'm sure you don't want my input.  The bolded is why I laugh every time I see a commercial about how the video doorbell is going to save your packages from porch pirates.  Unless it sends an alert to your phone and you happen to be walking the dog a half a block away it won't do shit.  If I'm a porch pirate and your doorbell whistles at me while I'm stealing your package the only effect it will have will be to give you a good video of me giving you the finger while stealing your package.  I'm sure the PDs all over the country are rapidly processing the clues provided by these videos to track down the thieves.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I like my Fords, so I'm sure you don't want my input.  The bolded is why I laugh every time I see a commercial about how the video doorbell is going to save your packages from porch pirates.  Unless it sends an alert to your phone and you happen to be walking the dog a half a block away it won't do shit.  If I'm a porch pirate and your doorbell whistles at me while I'm stealing your package the only effect it will have will be to give you a good video of me giving you the finger while stealing your package.  I'm sure the PDs all over the country are rapidly processing the clues provided by these videos to track down the thieves.

you can always take the video to the police who get right on it:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

you can always take the video to the police who get right on it:

giphy.gif

This is essentially what the cop did. My wife was pissed off about it. What the hell else is he supposed to do? Round up his other cop buddies and start a Houston wide area hunt for a Chevy Silverado? I knew I’d never see the truck again once I saw it wasn’t there anymore. Had to follow the protocol for insurance though.

This is why I’m looking forward to installing the new Ring remote controlled AR-15’s with masonary mounts and smart bullets.
  • Haha 1

4Runner is bulletproof but gas mileage sucks. I have one and the back seat has plenty of room. I don’t have a third row so not sure how much space that has but probably not much.

You may need to pay more than $30k for a new one though. The resale value on them is really good so it’s not worth buying slightly used.

I just went through this same exercise, although I don’t commute so gas mileage wasn’t much of a factor. Don’t buy a new car and don’t buy an American car. I love Tahoes but they are ridiculously expensive compared to nicer and better driving foreign cars. I didn’t end up getting one, but I was extremely impressed by the XC90, and you can get one a few years old off lease for just a bit more than 30k. The main draw back is that it is kind of a lady car, but it’s 2020 and men are ladies and vice versa so who cares. If you’re planning on keeping it for a long time 4runners are hard to beat but I don’t find the interior to be all that nice for the price. 

On 11/28/2020 at 12:00 AM, pearlandhorn said:

4Runner is the front runner right now. I’ll check out the other Toyota lineup when I hear from insurance. Don’t really need or want another truck at this point.

Basically massaged the wife into a turd pro, love that that vehicle.  Took it offroad in Colorado, only other vehicles we saw on the trail were jeeps.  Feels old in a solid, reliable, old fashioned way.  The offroad technology is great, like crawl control, but the radio and comfort technology is dogshit.  

Since one of the criteria was decent fuel economy I might seriously look at the Subaru Forester.  I do not own one and just bought a new 2020 Chevy 4x4 1500 to tow our trailer, so I feel your pain on the theft.   But with the Forester, everyone I now who owns one, loves it. By Dad just bought one, and he's a big guy who felt the CRV was simply too cramped and like the Subaru better.  I would think that in Houston the addition lift would be valuable just to be able to jump the occasional curb when desired.  They tend to hold their value pretty darn well, and 4x4 would allow for some inclement weather travel with a bit more safety.  My bother in law loves his, and the lady I bought my trailer from bought one and she loves it as well.  

You could go up into a larger SUV for sure, and if you have been driving a Truck the additional ride height might be something you might prefer.

We have a new Sonata that honestly has a ton of room in the cabin and the trunk that we use for trips when we want to just fly and get good mileage.  It is pretty inexpensive, and gets around 27 mpg on our last trip, totally hauling ass.  I would also take a hard look at the Mazda offerings as I always like their extra power compared to the toyotas.

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

Since one of the criteria was decent fuel economy I might seriously look at the Subaru Forester.  I do not own one and just bought a new 2020 Chevy 4x4 1500 to tow our trailer, so I feel your pain on the theft.   But with the Forester, everyone I now who owns one, loves it. By Dad just bought one, and he's a big guy who felt the CRV was simply too cramped and like the Subaru better.  I would think that in Houston the addition lift would be valuable just to be able to jump the occasional curb when desired.  They tend to hold their value pretty darn well, and 4x4 would allow for some inclement weather travel with a bit more safety.  My bother in law loves his, and the lady I bought my trailer from bought one and she loves it as well.  

You could go up into a larger SUV for sure, and if you have been driving a Truck the additional ride height might be something you might prefer.

We have a new Sonata that honestly has a ton of room in the cabin and the trunk that we use for trips when we want to just fly and get good mileage.  It is pretty inexpensive, and gets around 27 mpg on our last trip, totally hauling ass.  I would also take a hard look at the Mazda offerings as I always like their extra power compared to the toyotas.

My parents actually have a forester and offered to let me have it. They bought it for their place in Colorado but sold the condo a few months ago and it’s for sale in Tyler. I didn’t care for driving it as it was lower to the ground than I care for. Thanks for the advice though!

I have a 97 4runner and love it. Mileage does suck but I work from home now so don't give a fuck.

I drove a new one and a 2015 before I bought the 97 and the only difference was the electronics and the seats. Had the seats redone and bought a nice stereo and it's pretty close to the same as the new ones. Bought it for $4k and have put around $4k into it. Gone off road several times and to the beach and it's great for that. I'll eventually get a nice car again but this will do just fine for now. Even after I get a car I'll keep this for the dogs, off roading and pulling the boat.

I have a 97 4runner and love it. Mileage does suck but I work from home now so don't give a fuck.
I drove a new one and a 2015 before I bought the 97 and the only difference was the electronics and the seats. Had the seats redone and bought a nice stereo and it's pretty close to the same as the new ones. Bought it for $4k and have put around $4k into it. Gone off road several times and to the beach and it's great for that. I'll eventually get a nice car again but this will do just fine for now. Even after I get a car I'll keep this for the dogs, off roading and pulling the boat.

What weight boat and trailer do you tow with that?