Dave Chappelle

futureman

I feel bad for Dave and am on his side as I've been fucked by a contract years after it was signed as well.

But Dave fucked up multiple times and isn't mentioning the whole picture.

First, after the first or second season he should have found some better lawyers/agents and tried to renegotiate the contract. 

Second, he got a large audience and notoriety after the show. He wouldn't bet getting $100+ a ticket in mid size venues and his deal with netflix without comedy central giving him a chance on the show.

Third, he complains about artists not getting a good deal, but the money comedy central made off him, went into dozens of shows that ended up losing money and getting canceled. If Dave got that money instead of comedy central would he have bankrolled a few dozen shows with it?

• Hook 'Em 2

Not to mention he's misrepresenting his relative lack of sophistication at the time.  He had already written and produced a movie and had a development deal with ABC prior to his initial deal with Comedy Central.  He obviously chose money over control during his 1st contract with Comedy Central and he negotiated more control and downstream royalties with his second deal. The only problem is he walked away from it before it was ever set to begin.  We all do shit we come to regret later in life, but hopefully we learn to live with them and rectify them where possible.  While I can empathize with his reasons for leaving the show that decision had consequences.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

First, after the first or second season he should have found some better lawyers/agents and tried to renegotiate the contract. 

Instead of quitting on his show that is 100% what he should have done.  Imagine that his show ran for just 5 seasons how much he could have received in syndication and how much more it he could have made in his career instead of basically doing nothing for a decade.  I know it’s easy to look back and see everything in hindsight but disappearing from the world because you were mad at your contract and annoyed by your fans was never a good move.

47 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Why did he leave? Honest question. Was he just burnt out?

Off the top of head, I remember him saying something about how he felt uncomfortable with white people laughing their asses off at sketches like Clayton Bigsby. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Off the top of head, I remember him saying something about how he felt uncomfortable with white people laughing their asses off at sketches like Clayton Bigsby. 

Lmao wtf? What kind of reaction was he hoping from those sketches and why make them in the first place?

32 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Why did he leave? Honest question. Was he just burnt out?

It wasn't that exactly.  Had nothing to do with Clayton Bigsby. He told the story on David Letterman's Netflix show. I forget the details but he basically said that during a sketch that ultimately never aired people were laughing at the wrong part of the sketch. They were in essence laughing at black caricatures rather than what he saw as the punchline of that particular sketch. I believe the sketch was about Pixies or something like that. If you haven't seen the interview I recommend it. Dave (Letterman) really hits on never before broached territory regarding Chappelle. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It wasn't that exactly.  Had nothing to do with Clayton Bigsby. He told the story on David Letterman's Netflix show. I forget the details but he basically said that during a sketch that ultimately never aired people were laughing at the wrong part of the sketch essentially laughing at black caricatures rather than what he thought should've been the punchline. I believe the sketch was about Pixies or something like that. If you haven't seen the interview I recommend it. Dave (Letterman) really hits on never broached territory regarding Chappelle. 

Correct. Dave has never said it, but I think he was also bummed that his show was co-opted by Bro Culture. 

I’m Rick James, bitch!” was probably the most popular catch phrase of the 21st Century. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It wasn't that exactly.  Had nothing to do with Clayton Bigsby. He told the story on David Letterman's Netflix show. I forget the details but he basically said that during a sketch that ultimately never aired people were laughing at the wrong part of the sketch. They were in essence laughing at black caricatures rather than what he saw as the punchline of that particular sketch. I believe the sketch was about Pixies or something like that. If you haven't seen the interview I recommend it. Dave (Letterman) really hits on never before broached territory regarding Chappelle. 

I thought it was the N-word family skit he was talking about.

On 11/28/2020 at 5:06 PM, Elvis said:

A big group and I saw his big come back show at COTA Oddball comedy festival years back.  It was pretty bad.  His standup has gotten way better since then.  Still love some Dave!

Oh god I was there for that.  Almost had my phone taken by security because I dared to try taking a photo..yes I know they announced it, but that told me all I needed about Dave’s state at the time.  Show was short and terrible...big disappointment.  

Man is more successful than I’ll ever be and he’s brought me a lot of laughs and considerations on race relations, Killing Em Softly was a masterpiece...so not gonna be too critical but man, certainly has had a long mental break.  

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

I thought it was the N-word family skit he was talking about.

Nope it happened in the his final season doing the show. He was filming that last season after he signed his new contract.  I don't remember exactly what # season that was, but it should be the one that was only partially made.  

12 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Looking back on it, 6th street at 2am in early 2004 was insufferable.

Parking lot pimping outside of Logan's with the backdrop of "WHAT DOES THE FIVE FINGERS SAY TO THE FACE" and "I'M RICK JAMES!" is peak millennial bar-hopping and college time. 

I was playing basketball with my teenager the other day and won a close one; hit a game winner and said "Blouses!" and then had to explain and pull up a youtube and he just looked at me like I was a crazy person.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I find it hard to feel sorry that he feels mistreated. It’s cool if Netflix wants to make him happy. Don’t blame them a bit. But if he previously signed up to basically be an employee of Comedy Central or a production company, then accept your salary and 0% ownership. Take a lower salary if you want to own it.

and I get that he walked away from the Comedy Central show because of content issues, but then stay behind and work on that. Or you’re mad that white people laughed about rick James or the white family with the n-word as their last name? You’re writing 5+ jokes per sketch minute. What parts are or are not acceptable to laugh at?

he’s also cutting off his nose to spite his face. His old shows still add to his audience today.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Homercles said:

Oh god I was there for that.  Almost had my phone taken by security because I dared to try taking a photo..yes I know they announced it, but that told me all I needed about Dave’s state at the time.  Show was short and terrible...big disappointment. 

Never attend a King Crimson show. 

19 hours ago, Homercles said:

Man is more successful than I’ll ever be and he’s brought me a lot of laughs and considerations on race relations, Killing Em Softly was a masterpiece...so not gonna be too critical but man, certainly has had a long mental break.  

I’m sure you recall every comedian being astonished that there were airplanes flying low at COTA.  They had all been getting high in their trailers and were not aware.   But by the third or forth act saying “oh shit! It’s coming right at us!” No one was laughing.  No fault of the comedian though. 

Also, the huge open air venue didn’t let the the comedians hear the fan laughs and feedback, which led them to think they were bombing.  

Flight of the Concords had the best set because their musical act didn’t require constant laugh feedback.  

I remember Dave struggling with stinging sweat in his eyes.  I felt so bad for the guy. Comeback performance, bad venue, 101 degrees at night, and sweat in his eyes as he he started his Paula Dean N-word story in Texas.  Some kind roadie kid finally brought him a towel and a bottle of water to wash his sweat eyes out. 

also, everyone was so fucking high it was more giggles than belly laughs.  

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I find it hard to feel sorry that he feels mistreated. It’s cool if Netflix wants to make him happy. Don’t blame them a bit. But if he previously signed up to basically be an employee of Comedy Central or a production company, then accept your salary and 0% ownership. Take a lower salary if you want to own it.

and I get that he walked away from the Comedy Central show because of content issues, but then stay behind and work on that. Or you’re mad that white people laughed about rick James or the white family with the n-word as their last name? You’re writing 5+ jokes per sketch minute. What parts are or are not acceptable to laugh at?

he’s also cutting off his nose to spite his face. His old shows still add to his audience today.

Yea I was reading that in a lot of ways, the break-out show like TCS makes up for a bunch of the losses/failure shows that Comedy Central (or any network) buys, and that's just showbiz baby. The analogy was made to like a venture capital firm, they have a lot of duds that go belly up in the portfolio, but the one that becomes a 10x winner pays for the losses and brings home a profit.

It went on to explain a bit about how in 2020, the dynamics have changed in that the network is a losing proposition to go to when you have so much power in the a) creators/artists and b) aggregators (netflix, internet, social media). You simply don't really need the distribution anymore if you can catch fire online. Further went on to say essentially that Netflix isn't some good guy; they are giving Dave $20mm a show because they are making money on the investment. They are doing anything for the sake of his feelings.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

I like the two Chapelle stories from Hart who obviously knows him.  Only annoying thing about that interview was Hart putting himself in the same pantheon as Rock, Chapelle, and Seinfeld.  He's nowhere near the foothills of the mountain range that has the faces of Dave, Chris, and Jerry.  Maybe someday.  

Anyway, anybody got any more intel on this supposed Chappelle comedic residency that's taking hold here in Austin?  

All at Stubbs

Dave Chappelle and Friends

Saturday, December 12, 2020
Sunday, December 13, 2020
Friday December 18, 2020
Saturday December 19, 2020
Sunday December 20, 2020

Dave Chappelle and Joe Rogan

Tuesday, December 8, 2020
Wednesday, December 9, 2020
Friday, December 11, 2020
Tuesday, December 15, 2020
Wednesday, December 16, 2020

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

All at Stubbs

Saturday, December 12, 2020
Sunday, December 13, 2020
Friday December 18, 2020
Saturday December 19, 2020
Sunday December 20, 2020

Tuesday, December 8, 2020
Wednesday, December 9, 2020
Friday, December 11, 2020
Tuesday, December 15, 2020
Wednesday, December 16, 2020

I thought about it until I saw $250 per person with a minimum of a table of 4.

Saw him in detroit. It was during the prime of the show. Everyone kept yelling “I’m rick James bitch”. It was super annoying, I felt bad for him. I mean the whole show in the middle of jokes “IM RICK JAMES BITCH!”. He got real deep at the end and told like a 20 min story everyone was waiting for the punch line until he just said thank you and walked off stage. It was a weird ending. But I will say this he is worth going to see. The best part of the show is when some guy front row got up out of his seat 20 mins in and dave was like what’s up man? The handed him something it was his mix tape 😂😂😂

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Kevin Hart’s Seinfeld impression is good stuff. 

I doubt that. I tried to watch that video above but it was excruciatingly bad. I got as far as Kevin admitting he was owned by corporate interests and the CEOs. We all know Chapelle is in a whole other league compared to Rogan and Hart. Admitting it doesn't make them any more interesting.

Did Hart do a Seinfeld impression in that video? I skipped around and didn't find one. Everything I saw just sucked. Good lord. And I've seen him be funny on occasion. But that was just awful. 

41 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I doubt that. I tried to watch that video above but it was excruciatingly bad. I got as far as Kevin admitting he was owned by corporate interests and the CEOs. We all know Chapelle is in a whole other league compared to Rogan and Hart. Admitting it doesn't make them any more interesting.

Did Hart do a Seinfeld impression in that video? I skipped around and didn't find one. Everything I saw just sucked. Good lord. And I've seen him be funny on occasion. But that was just awful. 

The last segment of Hart’s new Netflix comedy special contains the Seinfeld impression. It’s really more an anecdote than an impression, but it’s pretty funny. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 2 weeks later...

More Stubb's dates:

Tuesday, January 12, 2021
Wednesday, January 13, 2021
Friday, January 15, 2021
Friday, January 22, 2021
Saturday, January 23, 2021

Saturday, January 16, 2021
Sunday, January 17, 2021
Tuesday, January 19, 2021
Wednesday, January 20, 2021
Sunday, January 24, 2021

On 12/3/2020 at 6:28 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

You sound like a blast to hang out with. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I watched The Closer earlier this week. I enjoyed it, but the trans jokes dominated at least 70% of his special. I don’t think they can cancel Chappelle, they’ve tried and failed, but I think they can make it difficult for him to work in films. Dave was amazing in A Star is Born. You can see glimpses of what he could do a starring dramatic role, but I think that opportunity has sailed. 

Dave probably doesn’t care. He identifies himself first and foremost as a comedian. As long as the streamers buy his specials he’ll be fine. 

His schtick has gotten a little tiresome. Say something extremely f***ed up, pause, smile, and then say to the audience, you all didn’t expect me to go there did you? He makes you wonder if the trans stuff is coming from an angry place. Much of the sharp, witty social commentary is gone. 

I think some time off will be good for Dave and his fans. Hopefully he comes back better. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1