Dave Chappelle

futureman

Interested to watch this. Haven't gotten to it yet. He's almost turned philosopher instead of a comedian in his recent stand-ups. But he had some of the LGBT stuff in his last special and I just never really thought it was that funny. Not offended by any means, just fell flat to me.

That said, the COVID stuff with him soured me him last year. The city is trying to handle a damn pandemic and then there are pictures of him, Joe Rogan, Elon Musk and others all hanging out maskless in Austin during a pandemic... and then he gets COVID. Just rubbed me the wrong way that all these carpetbaggers are making Austin their playground while so many people here are trying to keep hospitals from being filled.

14 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Interested to watch this. Haven't gotten to it yet. He's almost turned philosopher instead of a comedian in his recent stand-ups. But he had some of the LGBT stuff in his last special and I just never really thought it was that funny. Not offended by any means, just fell flat to me.

That said, the COVID stuff with him soured me him last year. The city is trying to handle a damn pandemic and then there are pictures of him, Joe Rogan, Elon Musk and others all hanging out maskless in Austin during a pandemic... and then he gets COVID. Just rubbed me the wrong way that all these carpetbaggers are making Austin their playground while so many people here are trying to keep hospitals from being filled.

I'll watch it for sure, but this is how I kinda felt the last time this came up. I didn't see the connection or humor to his other social commentary. I'm fine that his comedy is more serious observation than slapstick these days, but I don't get where the LGBT stuff fits into it other than to draw controversy. A very liberal friend of mind posted on Facbook this morning that she enjoyed it for its depth, and more and more people seem to be saying that the context can be difficult to discern, but that it's there and not meant to do harm or be angry at that community. We'll see. I'm interested to watch this weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I watched The Closer earlier this week. I enjoyed it, but the trans jokes dominated at least 70% of his special. I don’t think they can cancel Chappelle, they’ve tried and failed, but I think they can make it difficult for him to work in films. Dave was amazing in A Star is Born. You can see glimpses of what he could do a starring dramatic role, but I think that opportunity has sailed. 

Dave probably doesn’t care. He identifies himself first and foremost as a comedian. As long as the streamers buy his specials he’ll be fine. 

His schtick has gotten a little tiresome. Say something extremely f***ed up, pause, smile, and then say to the audience, you all didn’t expect me to go there did you? He makes you wonder if the trans stuff is coming from an angry place. Much of the sharp, witty social commentary is gone. 

I think some time off will be good for Dave and his fans. Hopefully he comes back better. 

Maybe he's just really tired of the trans stuff and is saying so...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Oh I agree, but let's call this what it is. It's a feud and Dave has let the other side consume his act. 

Draper said it best. 

I don't think about you at all Blank Template - Imgflip

I haven't seen it yet but I get your take. It just seems like he's the kind of guy that sees a bunch of people agreeing about something and he wants to poke holes in it. It's contrarian, but there's also a purpose to it. And overall it may be the only meaningful dialogue coming from the other side about the issue (whatever it may be). I mean, he dumped on Jussie Smollet when he could have just been quiet, or held ranks, or whatever. He just sees things that he thinks are bullshit, and he calls them on it. And maybe he thinks the momentum of this movement is too exaggerated and therefore it justifies this large an investment in pushing back. I don't know. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

agree with the general assessment. i watched it and wasn't offended, i actually understood where he was coming from and he has valid points...but it did start to feel sort of mean and intentional. mostly it was just not funny, i'm not sure i even chuckled once. 

i saw Netflix came down on their employees that spoke out against it/him. that's not helpful. people just continue to talk past each other, even in marginalized communities.  sigh 😒

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i saw Netflix came down on their employees that spoke out against it/him. that's not helpful. people just continue to talk past each other, even in marginalized communities.  sigh 😒

No - they got suspended for interrupting a corporate meeting that they weren't supposed to be at. Get it right. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Shut the fuck up about his COVID. This isn’t the place for it. And I say this as one who was vaxxed in March and had covid about a month ago. By the way, there are many more people that are Texas natives that refuse to vax. So just go fuck off. 

Lol. Wut? Are you Dave Chappelle's mom or something? I also had COVID after being vaxxed. But I also wasn't traveling to someone else's town, hanging out with billionaires like there wasn't a pandemic going on. Sorry, Ms. Chappelle.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Look, do you want me to start negging you, or what?  I don’t give a fuck about your Covid viewpoints or your disdain for billionaires (Rogan a billionaire - ha), and I sure as shit don’t wanna read about them in a DC thread. Fuck. Off. 

Oh no. You're going to take my internet pointz away? I'm talking about Dave Chappelle in a Dave Chappelle thread.

Get out of here with your garbage. 

15 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lol. Wut? Are you Dave Chappelle's mom or something? I also had COVID after being vaxxed. But I also wasn't traveling to someone else's town, hanging out with billionaires like there wasn't a pandemic going on. Sorry, Ms. Chappelle.

So Covid was the reason you weren't hanging out with billionaires? Did you hang out with anybody, or just hide in your basement?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

No - they got suspended for interrupting a corporate meeting that they weren't supposed to be at. Get it right. 

damn. ok bossy lol. i misspoke.

agree they earned the disciplinary action.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Well, it was hilarious, so clearly y’all have no sense of humor. 

i mean i normally agree but this felt like he did this special just to have a 30 minute airing of grievances against one specific group. and i think he's got some legitimate grievances. but that's not exactly your standard stand-up comedian tv special set.

it wasn't bad, and it was thought provoking, but i didn't find it very funny. 

I thought it was pretty funny. Didn't laugh as much as I thought I would compared to old Chappelle. My gf and some other friends didn't think it was funny but they hate talking about or laughing anything controversial. I don't really care I was also high so maybe that helped 

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’re injecting opinions that belong with other CR filth. If you don’t like DC, stay away from the DC thread. Comment on Covid and being “maskless” (the horror!) in Covid threads. Again, fuck off. 

This you injecting COVID opinions on the thread literally right below this one?

Anyone taking medical advice from Joe Rogan that dies from Covid deserves to die from Covid, and it ain’t Rogan’s fault.

So you can talk about a certain topic all you want, but no one else can. Got it. Sorry again, Dave's mom. 

It would be one thing if the trans shit only harmed white trans chicks like me but it’s unlikely to do anything negative to me, maybe some silly negs on surly (hi pilotserror and drbeeper), the problem is he’s really perpetuating violence against black queer and especially black trans people. Fuck Dave Chappelle. This isn’t a “controversial topic” for some it’s life or death. He can take his cash and wallow in it, found himself, pffft, whatever dude, you aren’t funny anymore.

here’s a good write up on it from a gay black man too, he says it much better:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gq.com/story/chappelle-the-closer/amp

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, troph said:

It would be one thing if the trans shit only harmed white trans chicks like me but it’s unlikely to do anything negative to me, maybe some silly negs on surly (hi pilotserror and drbeeper), the problem is he’s really perpetuating violence against black queer and especially black trans people. Fuck Dave Chappelle. This isn’t a “controversial topic” for some it’s life or death. He can take his cash and wallow in it, found himself, pffft, whatever dude, you aren’t funny anymore.

Did you watch the special?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Did you watch the special?

Enough to turn it off. He doesn’t deserve my time - just like this guy says, I don’t owe chappelle shit. 

from that link:

“It’s convenient for Black cishet male comedians to talk about LGBTQ+ folks as if our group is only or even predominantly white. With that frame, they don’t have to contend with how Black cishet folks often enact (physical and psychological) violence on Black LGBTQ+ folks.”

By the time Chappelle declares that “gender is a fact” and that he’s “Team TERF” in solidarity with J.K. Rowling, I turned my television off because I wasn’t having fun anymore. And part of freedom as I experience it is that I don’t owe Dave Chappelle any of my time.”

exactly. 

• Like 1

Here’s the thing about comedy - it’s not funny to make fun of marginalized groups when they struggle and you’re up the food chain. What happens when white comedians make n-word jokes? They get run out of town, but hey Dave’s a funny guy so he gets a pass. If trans shit is funny - and sometimes it is - the best comedians to call that out are those in the struggle.  Some of the funniest jokes about the gays are from butch fat unattractive lesbians. Straight white men making fun of gay folks, yeah not that funny. Dave isn’t funny when he does that.  

16 minutes ago, troph said:

Here’s the thing about comedy - it’s not funny to make fun of marginalized groups when they struggle and you’re up the food chain. What happens when white comedians make n-word jokes? They get run out of town, but hey Dave’s a funny guy so he gets a pass. If trans shit is funny - and sometimes it is - the best comedians to call that out are those in the struggle.  Some of the funniest jokes about the gays are from butch fat unattractive lesbians. Straight white men making fun of gay folks, yeah not that funny. Dave isn’t funny when he does that.  

I'm 100% on board with @troph here. I watched The Closer in its entirety and not only was it not funny, especially when the bar is set as high as Chappelle has set in the past, but it's just painfully ignorant on the trans issue. After all this time and all the shit he's heard from the LGBTQ community, he still can't grasp the difference between sex and gender and willfully erases intersectionality. He's so caught up in his ego and being right that he's never stopped to listen to what the intersectional trans community has been trying to tell him and he's learned nothing.

Be better, be funnier Dave.

• Hook 'Em 3

y'all act like comedy is some sacrosanct shit. It’s not, it’s just one of a myriad of entertainment formats. It deserves no protection and if criticism is warranted then it’s deserved.

But he can say whatever he wants - in this case it’s just not funny. it’s not funny when white dudes make jokes about black men and it’s not funny when straight people rail on gays. If you think it’s funny, awesome. Good for you.  I’ve laughed my ass off at gay jokes done by gay comedians and I’ve made plenty of light hearted comments about us trannies on this board. But it’s not funny when Dave Chappelle tries to make his serious commentary in the form of really bad humor.  It’s just not.  But y’all enjoy it, more power to ya.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

That might be the dumbest comment I’ve ever seen on this board. Dave isn’t allowed to make trans jokes because he isn’t trans and his humor is akin to a white comedian using the n word?

You’re literally proving his point.

No he can say whatever the fuck he wants. It’s not funny.  That’s the point. Half a dozen or more people here said the same thing but OMFG the tranny is mad. Nope. It was bad comedy. And one reason is because just like the white guy making black jokes the context wins. Dave’s an asshole and he was talking out of it on stage and a lot of folks just think it’s bad humor.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean I kind of am taking him at his own word here but I think he's legitimately jealous and I think it makes him angry sometimes. It sort of feels like to him the struggles of the black man in America have been marginalized by another group that he doesn't feel has endured the same struggle. None of this is my opinion, I don't really have one on the topic but that's what I came out of the special understanding. 

I laughed a few times. Not as much as in the past. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

It sort of feels like to him the struggles of the black man in America have been marginalized by another group that he doesn't feel has endured the same struggle.

He said as much in one of his specials. And he has a right to feel that way. I'm not sure that makes him "jealous" though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, troph said:

No he can say whatever the fuck he wants. It’s not funny.  That’s the point.

And why is it not funny? Because there's no core truth behind his words. Good comedy starts with fundamental truths. If you have a good understanding about the difference between sex and gender and know how to use those terms properly instead of using them interchangeably as Chappelle does, if you bother to educate yourself about the science that affirms what the trans community says, then none of the shit he says rings remotely true. If you know about Stonewall, then you know those jokes fall flat because they aren't truthful because he's intentionally not informing his audience about who those "Stonewall gays" actually were, most notably Marsha P Johnson.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He said as much in one of his specials. And he has a right to feel that way. I'm not sure that makes him "jealous" though. 

Yep. Get back to him when your group was literally enslaved and then singled out for the next 150+ years.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

And why is it not funny? Because there's no core truth behind his words. Good comedy starts with fundamental truths. If you have a good understanding about the difference between sex and gender and know how to use those terms properly instead of using them interchangeably as Chappelle does, if you bother to educate yourself about the science that affirms what the trans community says, then none of the shit he says rings remotely true. If you know about Stonewall, then you know those jokes fall flat because they aren't truthful because he's intentionally not informing his audience about who those "Stonewall gays" actually were, most notably Marsha P Johnson.

I think this is called "taking the bait". 

Have you stopped to consider that maybe Dave is fucking with people like you?

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, ztejas said:

I think this is called "taking the bait". 

Have you stopped to consider that maybe Dave is fucking with people like you?

No, he's just ignorant and wrong. I believe this because he's saying the same shit I thought not that long ago, but then I  had a conversation with my wife about trans kids or something that devolved into a long and heated argument in which she effectively convinced me how flawed and archaic it is to believe in the absolutism of the binary sex model when we know for a fact that there are many people born who do not fit into those definitions. If you read about the science of sexuality and listen to trans people, it's not that hard to understand. Chappelle STILL doesn't even understand what the fuck gender is. And you think that's him fucking with people like me. No, he's just an idiot who's too invested in his ego on this one to understand why he is wrong.

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yep. Get back to him when your group *** was literally enslaved and then singled out for the next 150+ years.

***Black queer people hadn’t invented back then. 

he wants to talk about how he’s jealous, be nuanced about it - don’t run down another marginalized group that includes your people because you’re a jealous member of the entertainment oligarch. Guy is worth over a hundred of million by now. He doesn’t get an “I’m a black man I can say whatever I want” card. 

example of really good social commentary comedy? All in the Family. That was biting, off color, cringe worthy but I what it really did was advance the conversation. Edith was the ultimate moral conscious for the show with the liberal kids and Archie on either side. That was 1970s and they got the LGBTQ humor which had a lot of criticism right. 

there’s a place to make jokes about his jealously as it relates to white trans women, hell for the most part cisgender lesbians were passed over for white trans women in equality circles. But the goal here isn’t to destroy and lie for a laugh but to get the laugh and make the world a better place. Dave just wants a dollar and he wants you to pay for it while he whines about it. That’s POS level comedy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, troph said:

***Black queer people hadn’t invented back then. 

he wants to talk about how he’s jealous, be nuanced about it - don’t run down another marginalized group that includes your people because you’re a jealous member of the entertainment oligarch. Guy is worth over a hundred of million by now. He doesn’t get an “I’m a black man I can say whatever I want” card. 

example of really good social commentary comedy? All in the Family. That was biting, off color, cringe worthy but I what it really did was advance the conversation. Edith was the ultimate moral conscious for the show with the liberal kids and Archie on either side. That was 1970s and they got the LGBTQ humor which had a lot of criticism right. 

there’s a place to make jokes about his jealously as it relates to white trans women, hell for the most part cisgender lesbians were passed over for white trans women in equality circles. But the goal here isn’t to destroy and lie for a laugh but to get the laugh and make the world a better place. Dave just wants a dollar and he wants you to pay for it while he whines about it. That’s POS level comedy. 

You're mad and hurt by his words. How many times have you laughed at a comedians words that probably made someone else mad and hurt them? 

Just shut it all down, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1