Happy Thanksgiving! (The thread for Thanksgiving civility)

Parliament

What are you thankful for?

I am thankful that as flawed as our Republic is, we haven't torn eachother apart. Yet. But I think we'll make it through 2020 for sure. Still some States waiting to certify their vote, but they will. Our President may need to be literally drug out of the White House, but we won't hafta shoot anyone to make it happen. Things are looking up.

I am thankful that the most important things didn't fail this spring. Food production continued, we still had electricity and public water and even the internet kept up.

I am thankful that even though we had +/- 30 major storms, we had no Katrina. Came close, and some areas got shwacked twice, but no major loss of life.

• Hook 'Em 3

Thomas Aquinas has a quote that I've been wrestling with for a while now... 

“We must love them both, those whose opinions we share and those whose opinions we reject. For both have labored in the search for truth and both have helped us in the finding of it."

I'm disgusted by the process and the pain of these moments and the days and years gone by. I have to work daily to be hopeful. 

But I'm thankful for the clarity I'm discovering, the people who are patient enough to walk alongside me, and that "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." (MLK, quoting Rev. Theodore Parker). 

Edited by NWBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

I am thankful for the following supporters of free and fair Democracy

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/24/opinion/trump-election-democracy.html

Georgia Secretary of State - Brad Raffensperger

Georgia election implementation manager  - Gabriel Sterling

Maricopa County Board of Supervisors, All Republican

FBI Director - Christopher Wray

Director of Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency - Chris Krebs

US District Judge - Matthew W. Braun 

All republicans who did their job in face of enormous political pressure. 

and of course, my family and friends, etc. / Steve Martin

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm thankful for family, friends, and neighbors. Especially thankful that they tolerated my ramblings and rants during the several months when I thought there was a slim chance that President CrazyDrawers might actually be removed.

Thankful for the community members that have undergone an enormously stressful year helping keep our community served in a variety of underappreciated ways. Thankful for those that have been considerate of others in conducting their business with regard to keeping our population healthy and safe.

Thankful for the public servants at local, state, and national levels who have continued to perform their duties in a professional, dedicated, unbiased manner.

Thankful that many citizens got out and voted.

Thankful that you all tolerate non Longhorn Texas residents on your board.

Thankful that in a little over fifty days, God willing, there will be a change in administration at the White House.

Lastly, thankful for nature's bounty giving us a moment in time when a small housefly received higher accolades than a Vice President.

• Hook 'Em 2

I am thankful for my family, who all understand that we are not together today so that we can all be together next Thanksgiving. 

I am thankful that I have a job when so many do not.  I am also thankful for all of the opportunities that I have to help those who need it.

I am thankful for all of those who kept the lights on, the internet running, the water running, and the toilets flushing.

I am thankful for all of those who have worked to keep food and goods coming to us.

I, too, am thankful that so many voted, and that the majority voted for sanity over chaos.

I am thankful that we will have a President who uses the phrase "my fellow Americans" again.  I sure missed that.

I am thankful that there are effective vaccines on the way that will help us get our world back to a more normal shape.

I am overwhelmingly thankful for those health care workers who have been risking their lives for others.  It's a shame that there isn't a system to award Bronze or Siver Stars, Distinguished Service Crosses, Distinguished Flying Crosses, Navy Crosses, and Congressional Medals of Honor to these workers.  They have been as valiant and steadfast as any Marine, sailor, soldier, or airman.

Finally (about fucking time!), I am thankful for this gathering of assholes, jerks, idoits, and all around fantastic folks on Surly.  Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m thankful our incoming President is an adult, tweeting about shared sacrifices and how we can beat COVID together. 

(Our outgoing president is tweeting his outrage that his opponent got 80 million votes) 

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife found me this morning before dawn.  I was checking on the smoker.  The rumor of sunrise was just lighting my face, and the illumination of my phone screen was the last bit of luminescence she needed.  She could tell I was teary-eyed...and I was.  She walked up behind me as I wiped away the snot and tears from my face, knowing she'd realize they weren't just from the smoke.  I was on my knees, holding my phone, and futility containing my weeps.  So many challenges to our 2020.  Several relatives with the virus, economic challenges, job changes, still in remote learning, pariah like feelings as most of our friends and neighbors go on without a care in the world, the election, the social injustice, more economic upheaval to us personally, health challenges to our immediate family, etc., etc., etc.  This is what I was watching on my phone as I crumbled to the Earth and lifted my arms to the stars:

And my wife asked me..."What are you doing?  What's wrong sweetheart?  Are you okay?"  

I replied between burst of tears, "I'm okay.  For once in 2020, I am okay.  I am giving Thanks.  No matter what else happens this year, I give Thanks to God." 

She hugged me on the ground and said, "Share with me what you are thankful for so I can join you in praise to him." 

"I am thankful, honey.  Because no matter what else happens this year...he did not make us...like he made them."