Home Alone

billfromlaketravis

Home alone is so great. the orchestra music for this movie is so freaking awesome, just perfect.

Pro trip: If I need to kill 15-20 minutes with my 5 and 2 year old, I start home alone at the part Kevin shoots the bandits and play it until they get arrested. My kids love that whole scene. We got done with that just now before I saw this thread.

Listened to a podcast about this movie last week. Old man Marley wasn’t even in Landis’ original script and was added late per the recommendation of the director. He felt the movie needed something more than the mom trying to get home to her son.

Another interesting tidbit was Warner Bros was the original studio to green light the movie, but only at a $10M budget. Landis went back and forth with them claiming the movie was more of a $12-14M budget kinda movie. They refused to go above $10M and on the eve of production, 20th Century Fox said they’d give the movie a $16M budget, so the movie switched production houses. Home Alone went on to make over $500M. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Another interesting tidbit was Warner Bros was the original studio to green light the movie, but only at a $10M budget. Landis went back and forth with them claiming the movie was more of a $12-14M budget kinda movie. They refused to go above $10M and on the eve of production, 20th Century Fox said they’d give the movie a $16M budget, so the movie switched production houses. Home Alone went on to make over $500M. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 10:30 AM, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Listened to a podcast about this movie last week. Old man Marley wasn’t even in Landis’ original script and was added late per the recommendation of the director. He felt the movie needed something more than the mom trying to get home to her son.

“The Movies that Made Us” on Netflix has an episode about Home Alone. A lot of it involves the backstory of them switching studios. Really great story, they were walking a razor wire on the film ever being made.  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I will also say that 2 is a worthy sequel.  The scene where Daniel Stern takes the bricks to the face just kills me.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I love New York, so yes I love the sequel. 

• Haha 1

On 12/4/2020 at 10:30 AM, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

I'd love to see an interview with the exec at Warner Bros that made that call.

50 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I had it. 'Twas awesome. If I remember the history of the Talkboy correctly, it didn't exist until Home Alone 2 came out. I'm sure 20th Century Fox made a killing.