Iowa State Cyclones @ Texas Longhorns - 11AM on ABC [23-20 FINAL - Cyclones blow away Longhorns]

immamac

6 hours ago, Assman said:

I’ve only read this page of the game thread, so I apologize if this has been brought up 69x already, but did we throw any passes in between the hashes?  I think it was Sam’s freshman year where the only passes we trusted him to throw were screens and bombs down the sideline because those were the least likely to get picked off.  Well it seems like our game plan regressed back to that.  Was ISU just not giving us any room in the middle of the field, or did Tom think that this game plan was the best way to beat them?  Our WRs are unable to get separation from any DB, which has been proven in several games this year, so what did Tom see that he thought this was the way to win?

Not many throws between the hash that I can recall.  We ran an RPO slant that was tipped by their all star LB.  Looked like we had it if not for the tip.  Same play Burt took to the house against UTEP.  Think that was the first time we ran that play since it was intercepted against OU.

One word: Academics. We kick their ass in that category. They're so far behind us academically it's not even funny. 
There are two things I can't stand hearing.
1 if you plan to work in Texas after football you'd be stupid to go out of state.
2. Athletes care that much about academics. Especially those likely to go to the NFL. Let's face it most athletes are not doing EE plan 2

19 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Anybody see the Northwestern QB score on 4th and 1 on an I formation naked boot? He could have walked in

Is that legal? I thought you had to line up 5 yards deep in the backfield and jam it up between the guards on 4th down 

It’s Northwestern, bro. They are all smarter than any of us will ever be. 

On 11/27/2020 at 11:13 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

For real. I still have no idea how we out-recruit them no matter how many Big XII titles they get. It's truly a mystery. 

Because Ketch and Burton say so.

Texas fans get testy about this, though they shouldn't, because it's not the fans who are being accused of sleight of hand here, but if UT's recruit rankings were accurate they'd put a lot more guys in the NFL on sheer/raw talent alone no matter how poorly developed they'd been.

These totally scientific recruit rankings are silly anyway.  I laugh when I see a ranking carried out to four digits past the decimal point, as if there's remotely a need for that kind of specificity, let alone whether it's really calculable.  These "analysts" are just a bunch of fat, geeky fans, no more or less qualified to rank recruits than the average message board poster.

"But recruit rankings correlate with national championships, they *matter*!!"  Yeah, any idiot can sit in the stands and see who the more talented players on the field are.  You give those 4 stars, and give the truly standout guys 5, and because they're the obviously more talented players, they're the guys big programs are recruiting, and voila, correlation.

Huckleberry will chime in here in about 5 seconds offering his refutation, but every year there are guys like Tyler Owens and Isaiah Hookfin, who have totally unimpressive offer lists, but nevertheless shoot up the rankings after Texas offers them late in the cycle.  But predictably, it's a couple years later and neither is listed in the two deep.

Also, referencing recruit rankings doesn't account for what's happened since.  How many guys in UT's '18 class are still on the team? (maybe it's the '17 class I'm thinking of, but I think it's 18)

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Texas fans get testy about this, though they shouldn't, because it's not the fans who are being accused of sleight of hand here, but if UT's recruit rankings were accurate they'd put a lot more guys in the NFL on sheer/raw talent alone no matter how poorly developed they'd been.

These totally scientific recruit rankings are silly anyway.  I laugh when I see a ranking carried out to four digits past the decimal point, as if there's remotely a need for that kind of specificity, let alone whether it's really calculable.  These "analysts" are just a bunch of fat, geeky fans, no more or less qualified to rank recruits than the average message board poster.

"But recruit rankings correlate with national championships, they *matter*!!"  Yeah, any idiot can sit in the stands and see who the more talented players on the field are.  You give those 4 stars, and give the truly standout guys 5, and because they're the obviously more talented players, they're the guys big programs are recruiting, and voila, correlation.

Huckleberry will chime in here in about 5 seconds offering his refutation, but every year there are guys like Tyler Owens and Isaiah Hookfin, who have totally unimpressive offer lists, but nevertheless shoot up the rankings after Texas offers them late in the cycle.  But predictably, it's a couple years later and neither is listed in the two deep.

Also, referencing recruit rankings doesn't account for what's happened since.  How many guys in UT's '18 class are still on the team? (maybe it's the '17 class I'm thinking of, but I think it's 18)

No, I completely agree with you. We absolutely do get a bump for the most part. Yeah, we get a lot of hs studs, but man its freaking crazy how many turn out average or a total bust. Like any fan we all love to see those recruiting bumps because we're all on a high horse and like to talk shit, but then we fail to realize the consequences of how we think they should pan out vs what reality says. For the most part I think a lot of our guys are ranked correctly, we just suck shit as developing, which you can see for yourself when they get to the league. 

Some are underrated (LJH at the college level), and then some are overrated. It's a "see we recruit just like Bama, Clemson, tOSU, etc", but play like ISU. 

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Siap but saturdays game was ISU’s first EVER win over a top 25 team in November

ISU was 0-43 in previous november top 25 matchups

holy shit

I find that stat most unilluminating. I already know how bad this is. No offense, friend, but it's like a tally of the exact number of bombs the Japanese dropped on Pearl Harbor being used to drive home the fact that the day was a disaster for the US.

• Like 1

Texas does still put a lot of guys in the NFL and it’s based almost purely on raw talent. At the start of the year Texas had 25 guys on NFL rosters. That’s T-17 in the country. Seven schools have > 30 and four > 35. Basically, aside from Bama, Ohio State, LSU, and Florida, the rest of the country hasn’t been crushing Texas on putting guys in the NFL. They’ve just disproportionately been late round draft picks or UDFAs that pan out because they get real coaching for the first time.

• 9 months later...