• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

1 minute ago, RabidM said:

Traylor on a low risk contract makes sense if we can get a muschamp.  Hell, Ash is ok and already on staff.  But can we get the buyout money? 

Jeff Traylor talks running backs  (Arkansas)

(Just a random video that popped up on my YouTube Channel today)

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Dude...there is so much more that goes into it than that. He’s not walking away from something he’s currently building, in the shitty ass SEC east, where he can own that division, is already out recruiting us, can play in a conference that gets more publicity whether it’s real or not, is already playing for conference championships and playoff spots... like come on. Saban isn’t coaching forever and Kirby smart sucks

2017-2021 recruiting goes Florida #11, #14, #9, #9, and #7.....Texas goes #25, #3, #3, #8, and #17. That's not out recruiting and that's with charlie strong fucking us for 3 years then Tom Herman being the Head coach for 4 years. Georgia has already played in a CFP, they also out recruit florida by a wide margin. Florida hasn't won a SEC title since 2008. The last time they played for a conference title they were fucking raped by bama to the tune of 54-16. I'm not saying Mullen would take us to titles but he would have an easier time getting us close than he will at Florida going forward. 

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

You're not wrong, but that's the reality. 

The only way we're going to get anyone with any decent D1 record is if they're fired, and... well, they got fired for a reason. You're gunna have to take a chance on someone. 

THIS is the meat of it.  If you can't get a sure thing, then you have to take a chance.  

Instead of just throwing money around, CDC should think carefully about which coach gives us a good bet on elevating us at reasonable risk.

But we have to know it's a bet, not a sure thing.

Personally, I think Pat Fitzgerald is a pretty strong candidate.  But you can see how Traylor could be a low risk bet especially if he had help assembling a staff.

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I love you guys but you have to stop buying what these 9.95 types are peddling. If they had "reasons" to fire Herman, it would've happened by now. Sadly, I'm gearing my balls to be thoroughly kicked with the reality of another failed season under Tom Herman. Thanks Fenves and the Board of Regents for extending a guy literally no one was coming after. 

Was that narrative being pushed by 9.95s? I haven't been able to keep up.

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

The real question is what happens if NSD1 is a total disaster and everyone defers to NSD2 or jumps ship on Texas?

I don’t think either NSD matter this year. If a recruit comes in doesn’t like it he will just portal out and get immediate eligibility because covid. So waiting is rather pointless imo

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So you're a top recruit and his parents and Day, Riley, Jimbo have knocked on the door, then this guy does and you get excited?  sometimes you get what you pay for

Edited by alphahorn

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Boy, Jeff Traylor is no Burt Reynolds, that's for sure.

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

The real question is what happens if NSD1 is a total disaster and everyone defers to NSD2 or jumps ship on Texas?

This won't happen. In fact, Texas will land LJ Johnson ahead of SD1 and you'll actually hear some idiots show up to crow "see, recruiting is just fine. it's fine." without understanding how far things are falling in real time, especially for the 2022 class.

Think about if Art Briles gets the Tech job because they suck it up and 86 the JAG they have there right now and realize that trading their soul for wins is the right Tech move and on brand. Briles has offered to take the Tech job for a few things:

1) $1 - literally, that's it.

2) Total control over football.

3) A big stack of money for his assistants and admins. 

He's told them they can negotiate a contract for him after 2 years when everyone sees where everything is at with the program. 

I'm reminded of the poet and erudite, Clark Griswold, at this moment and during these times: 

"Worse? How can things get any worse? Take a look around here, Ellen. We're at the threshold of hell!"

Tech coming in to raid from the west, OU and Ohio State in the north, ATM, LSU, Bama and the rest of the SEC and Clemson to the east, and USC possibly hiring someone competent in the near term, we need to wake up every day and thank God there is no one to the south. We're Rome in 476 if we get this next move wrong. We need someone who will call the fucking banners and take back the empire. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

That's exactly what I'm looking for in a head coach, someone that looks for the easiest path to victory. Why lose to Alabama in the conference championship game when you can lose to them in the playoffs?

HAHA! Come on, you'd be mad about being in the playoffs. Texas fans are such whiny bitches. (ducks) 

6 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

if you can't trust your new head coach to hire the right coordinators, you're hiring the wrong head coach

if we learned ONE THING from Strong and Herman, we should've learned that

I'm not saying he wouldn't hire good coordinators, I'm just saying I'm not sure he has the clout to pull off hiring ones as good as we have. It would be up to him, but we have those guys under contract. Herman is the cancer here, his meddling, antics, and turning off recruits.. All he had to do was get out of Yurcich's way, we saw that against KSU. Tom is the governor on the Ferrari. I know Yurcich doesn't have head coaching experience, but I think he would be better than Tom as HC.

CHIEF

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

I'd argue with a bitch ass coach that runs from the competition we won't be in the playoffs anyways.

Mack took us to two title games and if he didn't run away with his tail between his legs looking at stoops then we should have went to 3 more. Difference in view points but I'll concede your point bro. Do they have a spot on the CFP list that says "took the easier route?" 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Boy, Jeff Traylor is no Burt Reynolds, that's for sure.

This won't happen. In fact, Texas will land LJ Johnson ahead of SD1 and you'll actually hear some idiots show up to crow "see, recruiting is just fine. it's fine." without understanding how far things are falling in real time, especially for the 2022 class.

Think about if Art Briles gets the Tech job because they suck it up and 86 the JAG they have there right now and realize that trading their soul for wins is the right Tech move and on brand. Briles has offered to take the Tech job for a few things:

1) $1 - literally, that's it.

2) Total control over football.

3) A big stack of money for his assistants and admins. 

He's told them they can negotiate a contract for him after 2 years when everyone sees where everything is at with the program. 

I'm reminded of the poet and erudite, Clark Griswold, at this moment and during these times: 

"Worse? How can things get any worse? Take a look around here, Ellen. We're at the threshold of hell!"

Tech coming in to raid from the west, OU and Ohio State in the north, ATM, LSU, Bama and the rest of the SEC and Clemson to the east, and USC possibly hiring someone competent in the near term, we need to wake up every day and thank God there is no one to the south. We're Rome in 476 if we get this next move wrong. We need someone who will call the fucking banners and take back the empire. 

But what if it does happen. 

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I would add 4) to the Briles list.  An understanding the Baby Briles is the unannounced successor.  

What if - and hear me out here- what if: Urban was just CDC etc... testing the waters to gauge the reaction to hiring a coach with such a spooky past, and that they really want Briles.....

Kidding obviously, OR AM I?

Edited by UncleBuck

21 minutes ago, Loather said:

I think we should at least give some thought to the coach CDC is most familiar with, he would have an idea of whether he's interested and if he would work out - the Fort Worth Fat-ass, I would take him, at least he would have some passion and demand something from his players

Hard pass on Fatterson.  I think CDC likes Franklin?

16 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

2017-2021 recruiting goes Florida #11, #14, #9, #9, and #7.....Texas goes #25, #3, #3, #8, and #17. That's not out recruiting and that's with charlie strong fucking us for 3 years then Tom Herman being the Head coach for 4 years. Georgia has already played in a CFP, they also out recruit florida by a wide margin. Florida hasn't won a SEC title since 2008. The last time they played for a conference title they were fucking raped by bama to the tune of 54-16. I'm not saying Mullen would take us to titles but he would have an easier time getting us close than he will at Florida going forward. 

This year man he’s out recruiting us...that the deal. He’s building Florida. He took over a pretty shitty situation. Georgia has been winning the east with every other team being shit. Tenn, vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, mizzou.. and playing Georgia is easier than ou. So basically playing for a conference championship every year. Plus he has all the momentum in the world. He comes to Texas and it’s minimum 3 years To instill his culture and thumbprint on the program. 

regardless, it isnt a realistic hire. And if it happens I’d leave this board forever or do whatever the fuck a bet you’d want

Edited by taybo20

Somebody talk me out of Matt Campbell.  I realize he is not the fancy, splash hire that most of us want, but he is what we need.  I have not seen many coaches do more with less than he has done at ISU.  He was also good at Toledo before.  I will take substance over flash any day of the week.  Can any of you say you don't fear having to play ISU with him as the coach?  I think that is a pretty good litmus test for a candidate.  Hell, I know Lincoln fears him.  Here is his record:

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Toledo Rockets (Mid-American Conference) (2011–2015)
2011 Toledo 1–0 0–0   W Military    
2012 Toledo 9–4 6–2 T–2nd (West) L Famous Idaho Potato    
2013 Toledo 7–5 5–3 T–3rd (West)      
2014 Toledo 9–4 7–1 T–1st (West) W GoDaddy    
2015 Toledo 9–2 6–2 T–1st (West) Boca Raton*    
Toledo: 35–15 24–8 * Departed Toledo for Iowa State before bowl game
Iowa State Cyclones (Big 12 Conference) (2016–present)
2016 Iowa State 3–9 2–7 9th      
2017 Iowa State 8–5 5–4 T–4th W Liberty    
2018 Iowa State 8–5 6–3 T–3rd L Alamo    
2019 Iowa State 7–6 5–4 T–3rd L Camping World    
2020 Iowa State 8–2 8–1 1st      
Iowa State: 34–27 26–19  
Total: 69–42  
      National championship         Conference title         Conference division title or championship game berth

I get the bowl record is not the greatest, but again, these are with 3 star kids with a few 4 stars sprinkled in.  Now imagine what he could do with 4 star kids and some 5 stars.  Am I totally off base here?

Edited by Big_kat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I would add 4) to the Briles list.  An understanding the Baby Briles is the unannounced successor.  

@closetojumping would you want Briles as our HC?  

I don't like baby Briles either.  Do I think Art can be successful here.  Fuck yea I do.  Not sure I can stomach him.

• Fuck You 1

If we sign another G5 guy can we at least get somebody who will not be paid 5 million+ and requires 20 million to fire? That kind of money should be for P5 championship coaches not up and coming guy. If he beats OU and wins the Big 12, sure reward him but at least wait. These high risk low reward gambles are killing us financially to the point we are hand cuffed and at the mercy of guys from VCU and UH and that is not acceptable management.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Big_kat said:

SOmebody talk me out of Matt Campbell.  I realize he is not the fancy, splash hire that most of us want, but he is what we need.  I have not seen many coaches do more with less than he has done at ISU.  He was also good at Toledo before.  I will take substance over flash any day of the week.  Can any of you say you don't fear having to play ISU with him as the coach?  I think that is a pretty good litmus test for a candidate.  Hell, I know Lincoln fears him.  Here is his record:

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Toledo Rockets (Mid-American Conference) (2011–2015)
2011 Toledo 1–0 0–0   W Military    
2012 Toledo 9–4 6–2 T–2nd (West) L Famous Idaho Potato    
2013 Toledo 7–5 5–3 T–3rd (West)      
2014 Toledo 9–4 7–1 T–1st (West) W GoDaddy    
2015 Toledo 9–2 6–2 T–1st (West) Boca Raton*    
Toledo: 35–15 24–8 * Departed Toledo for Iowa State before bowl game
Iowa State Cyclones (Big 12 Conference) (2016–present)
2016 Iowa State 3–9 2–7 9th      
2017 Iowa State 8–5 5–4 T–4th W Liberty    
2018 Iowa State 8–5 6–3 T–3rd L Alamo    
2019 Iowa State 7–6 5–4 T–3rd L Camping World    
2020 Iowa State 8–2 8–1 1st      
Iowa State: 34–27 26–19  
Total: 69–42  
      National championship         Conference title         Conference division title or championship game berth

I get the bowl record is not the greatest, but again, these are with 3 star kids with a few 4 stars sprinkled in.  Now imagine what he could do with 4 star kids and some 5 stars.  Am I totally off base here?

Can't recruit worth shit.  But I know it's ISU

7 minutes ago, longhornfreak said:

Don't shoot the messenger:

Eopl1NMXcAEWo-F.jpeg

And the neat thing is Santa will have brought us all shiny toys, in the meantime! I can't get back on that train. I hope this is all true. I doubt any of it is true. I'm going to watch some basketball and get mad all over again.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Hiring a lesser known fella for a short, easy contract to get out of and then extending them when they show they can be the real deal. Interesting concept. 

Trying to bribe the big names or overpaying for hype is not working so far.