• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

13 minutes ago, Big_kat said:

Because you trust that Campbell can make the right hires and having a large budget means he can go after the guys he wants regardless of what they make now. 

Again, that doesn’t mean he isn’t bringing guys he currently works with. It doesn’t mean he automatically goes and hires the names you think he should.

12 minutes ago, NavyHorn said:

We seem to be pretty all-in on Campbell for a guy who’s allegedly the floor of the search

Well, we woke up there in a crusted pool of our own vomit,  with a screaming headache. We’ll take who we can get and go to bed to recuperate before starting all over again in 3-4 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Is Campbell's 6 million buyout not a concern?  Considering how much was written about the BMD's lack of interest in cutting a check to buyout Herman for anyone not name Urban Meyer - are they now ready to cut the 25 million dollar check for Herman and staff, then another 6 million to buyout Campbell, and then 7 million plus for Campbell and whatever his staff costs on top of that?

7 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So how does that ‘5 star culture not 5 star players’ mantra work when you’re at a school that is expected to have 5 star players?  

Exactly this. That whole "did more with less" coach quite often doesn't translate to a place where they have to do "more with more" which is what a Campbell could be. It's one thing to motivate a bunch of 2 and 3 stars to punch above their weight. It's a completely different thing to motivate a bunch of cocky 4 and 5 stars to check their egos at the door and play for the name on the front of their jersey rather than the name on the back of it. Campbell just feels like rinse and repeat from what we've had to me. He's having one hot year at a school in our conference. Whoopie.

Later in the humidor thread nahlin seemed to be hinting that maybe Campbell would say no.

He said he’d probably choose Michigan over Texas. ( but doesn’t look like UM is opening) and said something to the affect that he doesn’t even know if Campbell would take the Texas job. A tough pull.

Could be misquoting him. Read it last night, don’t feel like looking it up. Again could be misquoting him.

18 minutes ago, NavyHorn said:

We seem to be pretty all-in on Campbell for a guy who’s allegedly the floor of the search

Is he a demanding prick who works his ass off day and night? If so, I'm all in. If not, it is a hard pass. BMDs in the past seemed to be under the impression that access and the ability to BS were key. So, they would get a pool of candidates who had recent success as coordinators or head coaches and then pick the one they liked most. Unfortunately, those aren't the key traits to success as a head coach.

Gerry Hamilton

Gerry Hamilton

ESPN Recruiting Analyst

Staff member
I’m so sick of hearing skins on the wall, have a vision and hire the correct freaking coach

I’m not going to go on a full blown rant, and I fully know that more coaching hires don’t work out than work out well or great … but we as a college sports society are way to hyper focused on BS terms like “skins on the wall” , “head coaching experience” “enough head coaching experience”, “He hasn’t been a coordinator”, “He can’t handle the job at a place like Texas” etc…

A university and AD has to have a vision, and allow the correct hire to win over a fan base. They have to evaluate coaching talent, and have the set of stones to make the correct hire going against the grain of more experienced resumes.

It’s absolutely ridiculous to think Texas or any major university would not have hired these guys … and there are many more I could have added …

Dabo Swinney
Had NEVER been a coordinator. No HC experience when elevated at Clemson.
139-32
2 NC’s
4 CFB Playoffs
6 ACC Titles
About to be 10 straight seasons of 10 or more wins

Jimmy Johnson
29-25-3 at Oklahoma State
AT Miami 52-9

Nick Saban
34-24-1 at Michigan State. One freaking 9 win season in five years.
Since being hired at LSU, 209-39 at LSU and Alabama.
6 NC’s
10 SEC Titles
About to be 14 AP Poll top 10 finishes
About to be 13th straight season of 10 or more wins at Bama

Pete Carroll
Had a NFL HC record of 27-31 when USC hired him. Zero college HC experience.
When USC hired him in 2001, it had been 18 years since he coached in college.
97-19 at USC
2 NC’s
7 Pac-12 titles
7 AP Poll top 10 finishes

Bob Stoops no HC experience
190-48 at Oklahoma
1 NC
10 Big 12 titles
11 AP Poll top 10 finishes
14 seasons of 10 or more wins in 18 years.

Barry Switzer no HC experience when OU elevated him
157-29-4
3 NC’s
12 Top 10 poll finishes
12 conference titles

Tom Osborne no HC experience when Nebraska elevated him
255-49-3
3 NC’s
25 straight seasons of 9 or more wins
13 conference titles
21 top 10 poll finishes

Bill Snyder zero HC experience when Kansas State hired him

Vince Dooley zero HC experience when Georgia hired him

Joe Paterno zero HC experience when hired

They were handed a Ferrari, but they are handling it well …. No HC experience
Lincoln Riley
Ryan Day

Jimbo Fisher at FSU
Won NC. It didn’t end well, but FSU has issues that they still can’t get fixed.
Has Texas A&M an inch from CFB playoff this year

Utah and Northwestern aren’t going to win an NC, but they have hired the right coaches for the job … and they have enjoyed the most sustained success in program history.

I can go on and on, and do the same in college basketball …

Coach K - 73-59 at Army prior to Duke. Wasn’t immediate success at Duke.

Tom Izzo - no HC experience

Dean Smith - no HC experience

Roy Williams - No HC experience prior to KU hiring him

Jim Boheim - No HC experience prior to Syracuse elevating

Denny Crum - No HC experience prior to Louisville hiring

Guy V. Lewis - no HC experience prior to Houston elevating

Billy Donovan was 35-20 in two seasons at Marshall prior to Florida hiring him

***And look at UT legends

Cliff Gustafson
Was a high school head coach when Texas hired him.

DKR
Had a 17-13 record coming off a 5-5 season at Washington when Texas hired him

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, we woke up there in a crusted pool of our own vomit,  with a screaming headache. We’ll take who we can get and go to bed to recuperate before starting all over again in 3-4 years.

It all makes sense now. Any port in a storm, and boy the wind is blowin

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Exactly this. That whole "did more with less" coach quite often doesn't translate to a place where they have to do "more with more" which is what a Campbell could be. It's one thing to motivate a bunch of 2 and 3 stars to punch above their weight. It's a completely different thing to motivate a bunch of cocky 4 and 5 stars to check their egos at the door and play for the name on the front of their jersey rather than the name on the back of it. Campbell just feels like rinse and repeat from what we've had to me. He's having one hot year at a school in our conference. Whoopie.

I don't necessarily disagree - but I do think the fact that Campbell has been a Head Coach for 10 years (at two different schools) might be enough of a differentiator to make Campbell a 'safer bet' then the last two coaches.  I also appreciate that Campbell didn't necessarily pad his record by being a coach at a smaller 'kingmaker' school (yes I hate myself for quoting Ian Boyd) that has certain advantages over its Rivals (like Houston or Louisville).  No one goes to Iowa State thinking thats the fast track to their next opportunity.

I don't like that Campbell seemingly has the same early-season wtf losses that plagued Herman.

I don't like that so much of Campbell's success seemingly is the result of Heacock and his defense - who might not even be coming with him. 

Certainly no sure thing - but despite being younger than Herman he seems a hell of a lot more mature and less likely to embarrass the university on and off the field. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is he a demanding prick who works his ass off day and night? If so, I'm all in. If not, it is a hard pass.

I don't know this for a fact, but my read on Campbell is that he's a really good guy and a player's coach. And again, I don't think that necessarily translates to UT

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Is Campbell's 6 million buyout not a concern?  Considering how much was written about the BMD's lack of interest in cutting a check to buyout Herman for anyone not name Urban Meyer - are they now ready to cut the 25 million dollar check for Herman and staff, then another 6 million to buyout Campbell, and then 7 million plus for Campbell and whatever his staff costs on top of that?

Not a bmd but they save a lot on the annual salary.  At this point a change has to be made.  I suspect he can do well here. Enough to dethrone ou?   Not sure.  Also not sure how great a recruiter he is.  I know it’s isu

actually we saved isu from going to the Mac.  Maybe they’ll cut us a break

19 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think it's down to $5mm, and yes the money would be there for Campbell. 

8 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So how does that ‘5 star culture not 5 star players’ mantra work when you’re at a school that is expected to have 5 star players?  

I wouldn't conflate trying to turn your 3*s at ISU into 5* star players with choosing not to pursue elite talent at a top program

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Lol wait there’s a chance that campbell may say no?   Ok

It seems that he'd probably pick Michigan, which may or may not open up, over Texas. Some think that he'd turn down Texas even if Michigan doesn't open up, but I think he'd take the job, and we'd roll the dice on one of the more promising young coaches to come around in awhile. Maybe he'd work out, maybe he wouldn't. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm sure I'll bring down all the hate, arrogance, vitriol, "Who the fuck do you think you are, boy?" type shit, but I don't see any way in hell Campbell is going to be your coach.

Campbell leaving ISU for Texas is the kinda the living breathing antithesis of everything he's done so far, and what his entire brand his been.

Yes, Texas is one of the 5 biggest jobs in the country.  Few (if any) schools can pay you more.  But it also comes with outrageous expectations in terms of what being successful is.  It requires a ton of hob-knobbing with entitled more-money-than-God type donors, and by all accounts from his time in Ames, Campbell absolutely hates that shit.  Campbell's brand is building up overlooked guys into quality players.  It's not wining and dining the high end talent that a school like Texas expects.  He's a Kirk Ferentz or Bill Snyder.  Not an Urban Meyer or Dabo Swinney.  Is that guy going to work at Texas?  Probably not.

Then there's the fact that going to Texas would force him to walk back into the place where he built a program in half a decade, every other year.  It's just human nature to want to avoid that.  

He's also a pretty entrenched Midwest or Rust Belt guy, historically.  Going to Ames was at the periphery of where he wants to be geographically.  His recruiting efforts have focused on Ohio/Michigan/PA, the Great Lakes area in general, and ISU doesn't have a ton of Texas guys.  I don't think that he has that many Texas recruiting connections.

At the end of the day, you have all the money, resources, and in-state talent anyone could ever want.  You also offer a lot of headaches to go with it.  If Campbell does go Texas, he'll be out on his ass in 4 years, with his legacy pretty well shredded.  Matt Campbell is a great coach at the right school.  Texas could be one of the best jobs in the country.  This is a really bad fit of coach and school, and I suspect that Campbell is smart enough to know that.  I'm under no delusion that he'll stay at ISU forever, but this isn't the kind of job he's leaving for.  He wants to be in control.  He wants to bring his guys with him.  He doesn't want to deal with the external bullshit that a job like Texas forces.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm sure I'll bring down all the hate, arrogance, vitriol, "Who the fuck do you think you are, boy?" type shit, but I don't see any way in hell Campbell is going to be your coach.

Campbell leaving ISU for Texas is the kinda the living breathing antithesis of everything he's done so far, and what his entire brand his been.

Yes, Texas is one of the 5 biggest jobs in the country.  Few (if any) schools can pay you more.  But it also comes with outrageous expectations in terms of what being successful is.  It requires a ton of hob-knobbing with entitled more-money-than-God type donors, and by all accounts from his time in Ames, Campbell absolutely hates that shit.  Campbell's brand is building up overlooked guys into quality players.  It's not wining and dining the high end talent that a school like Texas expects.  He's a Kirk Ferentz or Bill Snyder.  Not an Urban Meyer or Dabo Swinney.  Is that guy going to work at Texas?  Probably not.

Then there's the fact that going to Texas would force him to walk back into the place where he built a program in half a decade, every other year.  It's just human nature to want to avoid that.  

He's also a pretty entrenched Midwest or Rust Belt guy, historically.  Going to Ames was at the periphery of where he wants to be geographically.  His recruiting efforts have focused on Ohio/Michigan/PA, the Great Lakes area in general, and ISU doesn't have a ton of Texas guys.  I don't think that he has that many Texas recruiting connections.

At the end of the day, you have all the money, resources, and in-state talent anyone could ever want.  You also offer a lot of headaches to go with it.  If Campbell does go Texas, he'll be out on his ass in 4 years, with his legacy pretty well shredded.  Matt Campbell is a great coach at the right school.  Texas could be one of the best jobs in the country.  This is a really bad fit of coach and school, and I suspect that Campbell is smart enough to know that.  I'm under no delusion that he'll stay at ISU forever, but this isn't the kind of job he's leaving for.  He wants to be in control.  He wants to bring his guys with him.  He doesn't want to deal with the external bullshit that a job like Texas forces.

Oh whatever fuck off. Who the fuck do you think you are, boy?

Just kidding...I think this is spot on. Just doesn't feel like a right fit at all to me, for him or UT.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Oh whatever fuck off. Who the fuck do you think you are, boy?

Just kidding...I think this is spot on. Just doesn't feel like a right fit at all to me, for him or UT.

I think maybe the biggest thing that he's not the kind of guy who is cut out for dealing with the egos you see with the absolute elite talent, and everything that goes with that.  The irony of being in Texas's position is that even though you have seemingly unlimited resources, it takes a really specific skill set to navigate all of this successfully, and those guys don't just grow on trees.

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

All seems very true.  I think thats why it is much easier to see him waiting out the Michigan job then jumping in conference to Texas.

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

If he wants to win national championships, he'll have to go to a school with headaches outside of just coaching the team, whether that's Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, or Texas 

Agreed.  But I think if that's what he wants, he'll wait for the job that gives him the chance of national title, while staying close to his Midwestern roots.  Michigan, ND, and Ohio State are the jobs I've always saw as the one he takes.

I could also see him going to the NFL from ISU.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think maybe the biggest thing that he's not the kind of guy who is cut out for dealing with the egos you see with the absolute elite talent, and everything that goes with that.  The irony of being in Texas's position is that even though you have seemingly unlimited resources, it takes a really specific skill set to navigate all of this successfully, and those guys don't just grow on trees.

That's right. Kind of the Phil Jackson phenomenon.  All those teams had the talent to win championships, but it took the right coach to balance all the shit that came with that.  That was his forte.

13 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

1a Mullen - Not happening so doesn’t matter 
1b Matt Campbell
2 Steve Sarkisian
3 Gary Kubiak
4 Mario Cristobal
5 Sonny Dykes
6 James Franklin

is the order of that IT list I’d go

Make it Ron Franklin and let’s call it a day. I hear he loves Texas.

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I appreciate your take @Al_4_ISU since I don't know much about Campbell. I guess there are those people who just love the Midwest and want to stay. I don't get it personally, lived in the Midwest for 2+ years and absolutely hated it.

He's so firmly of that Rust Belt/Great Lakes mindset, that he basically implied when he took the ISU job that it was outside the Midwest.  His stated goal was to make ISU a Big 12 home for Midwest kids, and by Midwest kids he meant Ohio, Michigan, PA.  He's recruited KC area and Oklahoma pretty well too.

As a Midwest native/lifer, I love it here.  Granted, to many in the Midwest, there's kind of two subsets - Great Lakes and Great Plains, and they're fairly different cultures.  I literally live along the line of where the merger/transition occurs.  It works for me, but I can see why others would hate it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

Its a real kick in the dick that we have been so bad for so long that we don't have any real coaching pipeline to draw from.  

I said upthread that I'm at the point that all I have left is the blind optimism of an idiot fan.  So thats what I'm rolling with.  I could be talked into any one of Campbell, Kubiak, Sark, Cristobal, Traylor, Elliot, Venebles,  Napier, (but not Allen - fuck that guy). 

Put them up on the podium next to CDC and I'll be convinced they were the right and best choice for the job.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Agreed.  But I think if that's what he wants, he'll wait for the job that gives him the chance of national title, while staying close to his Midwestern roots.  Michigan, ND, and Ohio State are the jobs I've always saw as the one he takes.

Obviously you think he's good if you think these things.  But how good?  Let me hear your "I'm fucking terrified he takes your job" take on how good of a coach he is.   Also, some homespun real talk on whether he would work at Texas.

Edited by ClubWhatever
Didn't read upthread. Sue me.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Obviously you think he's good if you think these things.  But how good?  Let me hear your "I'm fucking terrified he takes your job" take on how good of a coach he is.   Also, some homespun real talk on whether he would work at Texas.

He's a really good coach that will fail at Texas for the reasons I've outlines.  If he goes to Texas, our program could easily crater, and yours will continue to spin it's wheels.  None of us will be happier or better off.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

One of my best friends coached under him in the past, and he told me that Campbell was a Midwest area lifer because he thought that he could recruit and evaluate the best in the area to help him maximize his success, and that his dream jobs were the major programs in the area, with Notre Dame and then Ohio State at the top. He's also content to win and grow as a coach at ISU, but I don't think he wants to be a lifer there because I do think he aspires to win championships, and he can't wait around forever for the stars to align for one of the three or four major jobs in that area, because you never know what those schools will do. 

But I also know that Campbell was interested in the Texas job in the past, and I've heard that Texas has been the one job outside of the region that his piqued his interest. But maybe his thought of coaching at Texas has sourced since then, or maybe the thought of coaching against ISU every year is starting to sink in, I don't know, but if it comes down to it, I think it would be tough to turn Texas down at something near double the current salary, even if money isn't a primary driver. I do think he takes Michigan over Texas or staying at ISU if it opens up, but the Michigan job opening up seems to be up in the air. 

Regarding recruiting ties in the area, it looks like he's been recruiting a little more in Texas lately, with four signees in 2020, and three commits in 2021 (would have been four had Texas not flipped the QB). I could get more granular by looking at offers, but that's probably not worth spending the time for. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Hang on...checks notes...Ohio state and Michigan are the same headaches Texas poses and they might be worse since Ohio state wins so often and Michigan hasn’t beaten Ohio state since I was in middle school. The bar is not very high for our next coach. Quit kidding yourselves. That’s a 9.95 narrative that our next coach has to win a title lulz. 10 wins that don’t involve field goals to beat Kansas type grab ass and we will suck his dick. 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

One of my best friends coached under him in the past, and he told me that Campbell was a Midwest area lifer because he thought that he could recruit and evaluate the best in the area to help him maximize his success, and that his dream jobs were the major programs in the area, with Notre Dame and then Ohio State at the top. He's also content to win and grow as a coach at ISU, but I don't think he wants to be a lifer there because I do think he aspires to win championships, and he can't wait around forever for the stars to align for one of the three or four major jobs in that area, because you never know what those schools will do. 

But I also know that Campbell was interested in the Texas job in the past, and I've heard that Texas has been the one job outside of the region that his piqued his interest. But maybe his thought of coaching at Texas has sourced since then, or maybe the thought of coaching against ISU every year is starting to sink in, I don't know, but if it comes down to it, I think it would be tough to turn Texas down at something near double the current salary, even if money isn't a primary driver. I do think he takes Michigan over Texas or staying at ISU if it opens up, but the Michigan job opening up seems to be up in the air. 

Regarding recruiting ties in the area, it looks like he's been recruiting a little more in Texas lately, with four signees in 2020, and three commits in 2021 (would have been four had Texas not flipped the QB). I could get more granular by looking at offers, but that's probably not worth spending the time for. 

I don't mind Campbell still recruiting big corn-fed fucking OL out of the midwest. 

Related, my dad was from North Dakota, which most people I know consider to be on the western fringe of the midwest. Seems the populations up in those areas all stay the same. People either love it and stay, or like my dad, decided he liked things a little warmer. Personally I love it up there. Wide tf open, not a lot of people, but the ones you do see are nice. Wish I could visit more often. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A little more from Gerry - this time on Traylor:

Posted this on another thread in response to Traylor ...

I'm going to keep saying the same thing.

Genuine. Players run through the wall for a genuine coach. A coach can be a genuine A-hole, genuine players coach, etc... but they key is genuine. Genuine coaches are also tremendous recruiters because that comes back around even if you don't get player X at the time, you will get the returns at some point.

Winner. Winners win. It's not a coincidence that a guy that won 3 state titles at Gilmer, is 7-4 in year one at UTSA despite losing all three QB's to injury at different points this season. Frank Wilson didn't have a winning season in four years at UTSA. Yet Traylor may play in the C-USA title game in year one. That is not coincidence. And you know what, they will get better every year at UTSA.

Texas HS coaches are going to be all in on Jeff Traylor, and always will be. That matters in this state.

Traylor is ready for the Texas job, the OU job, the TCU job, the Oklahoma State job or the Baylor job. Going 7-4 in year one at UTSA vs. 11-1 in year three only matters for a college AD that doesn't have a vision and a brass set of stones.

Traylor will win at UTSA, and he will have success at whatever Power 5 job he ends up at.

We shall see who has the vision to make the correct hire for their university.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Hang on...checks notes...Ohio state and Michigan are the same headaches Texas poses and they might be worse since Ohio state wins so often and Michigan hasn’t beaten Ohio state since I was in middle school. The bar is not very high for our next coach. Quit kidding yourselves. That’s a 9.95 narrative that our next coach has to win a title lulz. 10 wins that don’t involve field goals to beat Kansas type grab ass and we will suck his dick. 

I dunno, I read somewhere that Harbaugh's new contract says he has to be fired within 2 years and Michigan has to hire Campbell to replace him. Definitely a safe gamble for all parties involved 

I don't think Tom is a fake person at all but damn the guy steps on his own dick way too many times during the game.  Either decisions to go for it on short down, which then he chooses a bad play with not the best personnel on the field to even attempt it.

We are not that far away, but with Tom it will always be like that, because he and his style are meant for one score games no matter if the opponent is really good or really bad.

Campbell's. DC is the one who revolutionized defense in this very league.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This. I understand surly just wants the shiny object/all star team, but that staff is developing talent and winning in this conference. I don’t know the full staff and I’m sure there are positions where you can upgrade, but to some extent if you’re hiring a coach based on success in your own league you’re probably okay with the staff traveling based on their body of work. Campbell came up as an OL coach so you’d expect him to bring his guy or go find someone he knows there. As mentioned, Heacock’s among the best DCs in the Big 12 in recent years, you’d be happy to have him. Would definitely hope to have some recruiters with Texas ties on staff though.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Idk probably switch the word “not” to “with” or “and” or “builds” or something. Or, you know, just ditch it because it’s no longer relevant.

Presumably our athletic director and the rich successful BMDs are not a bunch of stupid idiots. Do they have any concept of the fan apathy that's going to come with another year of Herman? We might see the every-year surge of hope in the beginning but as soon as he drops a game, that shit is over. And make no mistake, he's not going to make it through the OU game without one, and probably more like two or three losses. I'd honestly be surprised if we don't drop a game to ULL or Arkansas.

Not to mention the recruiting hit.

Penny wise pound foolish has never been more fitting for a situation than this. Fuck.