• Franklin
    • Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

I have to say he intrigues me. I know next-to-nothing about him other than he's winning at fucking Indiana. Somebody who knows more, tell me more because I hate Franklin and I'm only mildly interested in Campbell, Cristobal, Fickell and some of the other names thrown out. I don't think we can poach Mullen without resetting the coaching salary scales and I don't believe he's worth that. And I'm not very confident we could even do that.
All that said, I still think we've got Urban coming.

It seems strange to me to like the Indiana guy who has had a nice 7 game run at a traditional football doormat school, but be lukewarm on guys like Campbell and even Fickell who have been doing the same thing but with sustained success. I'm curious what separates that group for you?

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It seems strange to me to like the Indiana guy who has had a nice 7 game run at a traditional football doormat school, but be lukewarm on guys like Campbell and even Fickell who have been doing the same thing but with sustained success. I'm curious what separates that group for you?

I don't really know. I think it's more of an indictment of Campbell or Fickell than it is excitement over Allen.

I know there are 50 or more coaches who could do better than Herman at Texas. Hell, probably more. I also know there are a bunch that would not be improvements, especially when it's going to take $25M to buy him and his staff out and potentially pay another buyout if we poach somebody else's coach.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Went into Madison and upset the Badgers, as a 2 TD underdog, with his 2nd string QB. If he doesn't win B1G COTY then there is no justice in the world. 

Just looked it up, apparently the last time an Ohio State head coach won Big Ten CoTY was 1979 (Earl Bruce). How is that even possible?

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

I don't really know. I think it's more of an indictment of Campbell or Fickell than it is excitement over Allen.

I know there are 50 or more coaches who could do better than Herman at Texas. Hell, probably more. I also know there are a bunch that would not be improvements, especially when it's going to take $25M to buy him and his staff out and potentially pay another buyout if we poach somebody else's coach.

Allen (so far) doesn’t lose games he’s supposed to win. Last year, his four losses were MSU, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State and then Tennessee in the bowl game. He plays sound defense. They force tons of turnovers. They were losing to Ohio State by 28 and damn near came back and won. They fight like hell and they play smart. I don’t know if his coaching style would translate to 4 & 5 star kids, but he definitely gets everything out of his 2&3 star kids.
I’d probably prefer to see him get another season under his belt, but I’m impressed so far. Campbell loses games he shouldn’t from time to time. That’s a red flag for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Just looked it up, apparently the last time an Ohio State head coach won Big Ten CoTY was 1979 (Earl Bruce). How is that even possible?

I'm well aware. In 2002, when Jim Tressel went undefeated in his second season and took the Buckeyes to the BCS title game, they gave the award to...Kirk Ferentz. 

Hate me now, but I know Herman has got to go! I’d go no further, if No on Urban Meyer, than Jeff Traylor at UTSA!!! He already has UT ties and should’ve been retained by Turtle Tom, but wasn’t.

UT ties, from Texas, and would have the backs of the whole TXHS coaching fraternity! Help in recruiting- he was Charlie’s best in-state recruiter.

He’s done more in one season, turning around UTSA, than most could. Wouldn’t require a huge buy-out and just matching TH’s salary with staff would be huge for he and the staff he brings in!

He’s going to make UTSA into a program that UT wouldn’t want on their schedule in the next 2-3 years!

• Like 1

SO, FCB reports talks "appear" to off. First who the fuck reports things "appear to be off" besides this worthless piece of garbage.  Yet, it seems most have lost hope that Herman will be fired and Urban will soon be named head coach. If I have to bet, then I'd bet Herman is gone before the end of the day tomorrow, what say you?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Hate me now, but I know Herman has got to go! I’d go no further, if No on Urban Meyer, than Jeff Traylor at UTSA!!! He already has UT ties and should’ve been retained by Turtle Tom, but wasn’t.

UT ties, from Texas, and would have the backs of the whole TXHS coaching fraternity! Help in recruiting- he was Charlie’s best in-state recruiter.

He’s done more in one season, turning around UTSA, than most could. Wouldn’t require a huge buy-out and just matching TH’s salary with staff would be huge for he and the staff he brings in!

He’s going to make UTSA into a program that UT wouldn’t want on their schedule in the next 2-3 years!

tenor.gif?itemid=8939758

• Haha 1

Other than Urban?
Me dammit.  If we're going to throw away 7 figures a year, I want it.  I'm a hell of a motivator, can yell like a son of a bitch, and can clap like a mother fucker.  No extensions required, I'll be good with 5 years, fully guaranteed.

Yeah, but can you lose to shitty teams on a consistent basis? With the talent Texas has losing like that takes a special skill.

I need to post in the Tom Allen thread as well, but Indiana is on the verge of being a great team this year. Looking at FPI nominally is useless, but you can find out a lot from looking at Strength of Record and Game Control in FPI Resume. Those two metrics suggest Indiana is the fourth best team in the nation this year, and I don't think that's far off. Anyway, Tom Allen absolutely loves Indiana. I think he's going to be in a position similar to Mack Brown at UNC in 1997 in which he asks his AD if anything more can be done to turn the basketball-dominant school into one in which football is an equal. If he receives the same answer that Mack did, then he'll leave. If he doesn't, and Indiana commits to upgrading their facilities to be on par with the nation's best, then he will stay. I don't think he's leaving this offseason to be quite clear.

I'm incredibly interested in finding out what Brian Kelly's total compensation is. It's publicly listed at $1.8m, but I'd guess it's actually around $6. @alphahorn @RVC2005 @Dbeasy Is there any chance y'all know more about Kelly's compensation? @RVC2005 I think you mentioned that you have connections in Ohio, so maybe you know a little about the inner workings of football in the state to the west of Ohio? He's turned ND into a real playoff contender, and I suspect he's permanently elevated their standing from a pretender to a team that can win a national title with a great QB (maybe Tyler Buchner in the future?).

4 minutes ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Greg Schiano

I know you're trolling, but Schiano won't leave Rutgers until he has accomplished what he has set in mind. He now has increased political clout in the state, and his best attribute as a coach is how well he knows NJ HSFB. Also, he has a huge mountain to climb because the current talent level of the roster is horrendous.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ajax said:

I saw on one Oregon board where they're complaining Cristobal is signing 5 star players to supposedly play "physical" football but his teams play soft as shit. 

Yeah, fuck no to that. That's exactly the opposite of what we need.

I'm concerned about Cristobal, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. They had the most star players opt out of any team in the nation (likely because they realized the patsy P12 schedule Larry Scott cobbled together was going to limit them even if they went undefeated). I will say that their DC, Avalos, has seemingly done a terrible job this year when he did an outstanding job last year. They absolutely don't have the personnel to play with 3 down linemen, yet he keeps banging his head against the wall, refusing to change. I will say that he might not have a choice there because their overall d-line recruiting has been the worst of any unit on that team (save RB). They probably only have one future draft prospect in their two deep on the d-line, and that's going to heavily limit you.

Also, I haven't read through a lot of this thread, but anyone who voted for Fuente needs to delete their account and reconsider every choice they've ever made. That guy has absolutely fucked up that program even worse than Herman is fucking up things in Austin. Whether you read their boards, watch their games, or look at their metrics as a team, you're going to realize that the guy just doesn't know how to manage a P5 (hell, probably even a G5) program.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I need to post in the Tom Allen thread as well, but Indiana is on the verge of being a great team this year. Looking at FPI nominally is useless, but you can find out a lot from looking at Strength of Record and Game Control in FPI Resume. Those two metrics suggest Indiana is the fourth best team in the nation this year, and I don't think that's far off. Anyway, Tom Allen absolutely loves Indiana. I think he's going to be in a position similar to Mack Brown at UNC in 1997 in which he asks his AD if anything more can be done to turn the basketball-dominant school into one in which football is an equal. If he receives the same answer that Mack did, then he'll leave. If he doesn't, and Indiana commits to upgrading their facilities to be on par with the nation's best, then he will stay. I don't think he's leaving this offseason to be quite clear.

I'm incredibly interested in finding out what Brian Kelly's total compensation is. It's publicly listed at $1.8m, but I'd guess it's actually around $6. @alphahorn @RVC2005 @Dbeasy Is there any chance y'all know more about Kelly's compensation? @RVC2005 I think you mentioned that you have connections in Ohio, so maybe you know a little about the inner workings of football in the state to the west of Ohio? He's turned ND into a real playoff contender, and I suspect he's permanently elevated their standing from a pretender to a team that can win a national title with a great QB (maybe Tyler Buchner in the future?).

I wish I could give you a solid answer, but it appears the people I talk to don’t really know what they’re talking about. I’ll return to this post when I’ve calmed down. 

• immamac changed the title to The Surly Official 2020 Corching Search Thread of DOOM and DESPAIR