• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I'm not going to waste the time and effort on advanced stats to prove that Gary Kubiak is a shitty idea for the same reason I'm not going to start quoting physics books to people who think the Earth is flat.

They are meaningless anyway. The NFL is not College. Should we compare Bill Walsh's offense at the 49ers to his at Stanford? There is no comparison. It is not the same game.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

Why do you hate the idea of Kubiak?

I think the premise is absurd. He doesn’t know a fucking thing about recruiting, he’s a conservative mouth-breather as a HC, he has health issues, he’s an aggie, and he’s about as dynamic as 1960’s British wallpaper. 

“But Arch Manning! And Super Bowls! He’d bring in a dream staff with Mike Sherman and Tim Brewster among others!” 

He may not be the arrogant asshole that Charlie Weis is, but he’s got the same kind of flop sweat smeared all over him for me. 

20 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

IT just pulled his name of their ass. Kubiak is a NFL coach and has never even expressed interest in coaching in college that I am aware of. He just got a new job in Minnesota. I don't see any reason why we should even be discussing this.

Now if he is getting interviewed by CDC well that is something else, but I see no evidence he is even on the radar.

Personally I am open to a NFL guy but it takes an unusual breed of NFL coach to want to go to College and put up with the nonsense associated with that.

Texas met with him last week in Minneapolis, allegedly. I don’t know if that causes you to reassess your thinking, but hopefully that helps. 

8 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Wasn’t there some news lately that Sark was drunk the sidelines during on of Bama’s recent games?

Or was I drunk when I thought I heard the news…

From people around him daily and inside the same inner circle, he’s been sober for a good long while. I think being on his own at Texas will cause him to fall off the wagon, but I don’t know the guy personally. 

Beyond the booze, I just think the guy is a loser who can’t get it done as a HC and see nothing but proof points on my side of the argument and nothing but hope and conjecture from the other side. I like my fact set and knowledge base against anyone touting him, whether they’re paid $9.95 or Nick Saban or Chris Del Conte. 

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Eric Bieniemy

He is a byproduct of Reid and Mahomes. He can sure as shit recruit in CFB, but he’s a pig wearing make-up as anything beyond a TB coach candidate, which we know is under his NFL future at this point. I’m guessing he gets a HC role after this season in the NFL and then spends 3 years disappointing that fanbase and reminding the rest of us of what a turd he is. 

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Texas met with him last week in Minneapolis, allegedly. I don’t know if that causes you to reassess your thinking, but hopefully that helps. 

That does. I would need a bit more than that but I am intrigued. We still need to do that whole "fire Tom Herman" thing first.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think the premise is absurd. He doesn’t know a fucking thing about recruiting, he’s a conservative mouth-breather as a HC, he has health issues, he’s an aggie, and he’s about as dynamic as 1960’s British wallpaper. 

“But Arch Manning! And Super Bowls! He’d bring in a dream staff with Mike Sherman and Tim Brewster among others!” 

He may not be the arrogant asshole that Charlie Weis is, but he’s got the same kind of flop sweat smeared all over him for me. 

From people around him daily and inside the same inner circle, he’s been sober for a good long while. I think being on his own at Texas will cause him to fall off the wagon, but I don’t know the guy personally. 

Beyond the booze, I just think the guy is a loser who can’t get it done as a HC and see nothing but proof points on my side of the argument and nothing but hope and conjecture from the other side. I like my fact set and knowledge base against anyone touting him, whether they’re paid $9.95 or Nick Saban or Chris Del Conte. 

He is a byproduct of Reid and Mahomes. He can sure as shit recruit in CFB, but he’s a pig wearing make-up as anything beyond a TB coach candidate, which we know is under his NFL future at this point. I’m guessing he gets a HC role after this season in the NFL and then spends 3 years disappointing that fanbase and reminding the rest of us of what a turd he is. 

Texas met with Kubiak in Minneapolis last week? How did that get past our flight trackers?!?!?

Matt Campbell's career path is eerily similar to Saban. Both got their first HC job at Toledo and went 9-2 in their final year there.

Saban then had an NFL DC stint but his next HC job was Michigan State, where he went 34-24 and 9-2 in his fifth/final year. LSU was next.

Campbell went from Toledo directly to ISU, where he has been 34-27 (his first year was 3-9 vs. 6-5 for Saban), and is currently 8-2 in his fifth/likely final

For the record, I'm not saying Campbell is a slam dunk. But no one else is either 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I mean at this point it's gotta be Mullen with a solid DC as the best option right? He has that Florida offense humming, but their D has kept their games from looking like major blowouts. He doesn't seem to turtle up, either and pretty sure he's got some bags ready to be dropped for recruiting purposes. After Urban, he's got to be the best option not named Saban or Dabo.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Mason Ramsey said:

I mean at this point it's gotta be Mullen with a solid DC as the best option right? He has that Florida offense humming, but their D has kept their games from looking like major blowouts. He doesn't seem to turtle up, either and pretty sure he's got some bags ready to be dropped for recruiting purposes. After Urban, he's got to be the best option not named Saban or Dabo.

Sure, but I doubt he's really an option for us.

I'd definitely prefer others to Kubiak. That said, I don't get the hate for him. He's a good coach. 

But make no mistake that Super Bowl winning season was all Wade Phillips, Von Miller, and that defense. Of course I'm not sure anyone would have much of an offense with Brock Lobster at QB (which is what they had when Manning got hurt).

If we don't get Mullen then I'd like to see what Campbell could do here. 

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Matt Campbell's career path is eerily similar to Saban. Both got their first HC job at Toledo and went 9-2 in their final year there.

Saban then had an NFL DC stint but his next HC job was Michigan State, where he went 34-24 and 9-2 in his fifth/final year. LSU was next.

Campbell went from Toledo directly to ISU, where he has been 34-27 (his first year was 3-9 vs. 6-5 for Saban), and is currently 8-2 in his fifth/likely final

For the record, I'm not saying Campbell is a slam dunk. But no one else is either 

Yeah and Michael Jordan got cut from his freshman basketball team. So what? 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I'm of the opinion that anyone mentioning rehiring Mack Brown in this thread should be neg-bombed into the abyss or outright IP banned from this site. 

Had a non-Texas fan I talk with ask who the answer was to get Texas on the right track, "Mack Brown?" Just fucking don't. 

3 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Yep.  That would be my #1 B option

1 minute ago, Mason Ramsey said:

I would like to hope the possibility of him not having to go through Georgia AND either Bama or LSU every year would be enticing to him, but he does have a good gig in Gainesville. 

I think you have to take a run at Mullen (wouldn't be surprised if we already have), but what I expect is that he'll stay put and get a raise out of the deal, and then we get the added embarrassment of getting to read about how he turned us down.

Wow I did not have Kubiak on my radar. Bijan would probably run for 2k/year with him but I do not have confidence in him bringing a dynamic modern passing attack which is a necessity these days. Maybe he brings Graham Harrell or someone like that I guess. Big recruiting question as others have mentioned. I am surprised to see Vikings are 4th in the NFL in yards/game this year. Had no idea.

Would honestly rather have Bill O'Brien even though his firing was overdue. At least he's coached a dynamic passing attack and has college experience. Probably needs a couple years for the stink to wear off though

I'm anti-Kubiak to Texas and don't know how real that even is, on his side or ours, but as someone who doesn't watch the NFL much anymore, I was surprised to find that Kubiak's offense is tied for second in the league in YPP at 6.3

Anyhoo, carry on 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I'm anti-Kubiak to Texas and don't know how real that even is, on his side or ours, but as someone who doesn't watch the NFL much anymore, I was surprised to find that Kubiak's offense is tied for second in the league in YPP at 6.3

Anyhoo, carry on 

Kubiak is from the Shanahan tree and runs a very similar offensive scheme as Kyle. He'd fix our OL issues at least.

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Would honestly rather have Bill O'Brien even though his firing was overdue. At least he's coached a dynamic passing attack

As has been evident this year after his firing, he was probably the one actually holding the Texans passing attack back.

That dynamic passing attack was because of Tom Brady etc... Bill was just along for the ride and got into an argument on the sideline with Tom once. 

What beats OU?  Sound assignment defense and  running the football on offense.  Undisciplined defenders and no running game gets you killed.  Who is a gettable coach we have seen whose defenses are fundamentally sound and whose offenses are built on running the ball student body style?

Matt Campbell.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm of the opinion that anyone mentioning rehiring Mack Brown in this thread should be neg-bombed into the abyss or outright IP banned from this site. 

Think there is the slightest possibility of stealing Mullen away?

• Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Wow I did not have Kubiak on my radar. Bijan would probably run for 2k/year with him but I do not have confidence in him bringing a dynamic modern passing attack which is a necessity these days. Maybe he brings Graham Harrell or someone like that I guess. Big recruiting question as others have mentioned. I am surprised to see Vikings are 4th in the NFL in yards/game this year. Had no idea.

Would honestly rather have Bill O'Brien even though his firing was overdue. At least he's coached a dynamic passing attack and has college experience. Probably needs a couple years for the stink to wear off though

HCIW for Graham?  I think Graham at 45 or whatever could be ready to be HC

55 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

This thread with its suggestions has finally made me excited about the possibility of Matt Campbell. 

When you say comfort me, to anyone who approaches
Chalkin' up the hurt, you live and you learn
Well, we've both lived long enough to know
That we'd trade it all right now for just one minute of real coaching, real coaching