• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think you’re making some bold assumptions. But hey if Alabama thinks he’s good enough for them to be the next guy and their fans seem to really like him who are we as a fan base to judge a school like Alabama. We’re the joneses!

that’s how idiotic some of you are 

yea, the guy taking it as a given that Sarkisian is taking over for Saban is the genius in this scenario

None of the names I've heard are truly stupid hires on their face.  But neither was Charlie Strong at the time.  We got in a bidding war over Tom Herman.

We are in our 7th to 11th year wandering the wilderness, depending on how half-full your glass is.  Another bad coaching hire and no player will remember when we were any good. 

So I would like something better than "not the worst idea" or "why the fuck not?" 

52 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

None of the names I've heard are truly stupid hires on their face.  But neither was Charlie Strong at the time.  We got in a bidding war over Tom Herman.

We are in our 7th to 11th year wandering the wilderness, depending on how half-full your glass is.  Another bad coaching hire and no player will remember when we were any good. 

So I would like something better than "not the worst idea" or "why the fuck not?" 

You will get nothing and like it.

Ian Boyd: Let's talk a little about Gary Kubiak

When I heard Kubiak was a potential replacement hire for Tom Herman, my reaction was probably similar to everyone else's. I stared blankly around the room at objects in my home for maybe 30 seconds. "Huh, how? Why? What's he even doing right now? Let's check wikipedia....he played at A&M??? Oh yeah, that one year Peyton Manning was just audibling runs throughout the playoffs and Von Miller did the heavy lifting...retired for health reasons...lawdt."

The more I thought on it, the more I warmed up to the notion of bringing in the former Texans coach. My memory of his Texans run, when I paid scarcely little attention to the NFL, was of Houston emerging due to Andre Johnson and Arian Foster but then paying Foster the big bucks and allowing good offensive linemen to walk. Then cratering.

From there he was offensive coordinator for a year with the Baltimore Ravens and did wonders for Joe Flacco, then he became head coach back at Denver and rotated through Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler on a Super Bowl run. At both Houston and Denver Kubiak hired Wade Phillips as his defensive coordinator, which was a good idea on both occasions.

His NFL resume is basically as a decent head coach but brilliant offensive coordinator (four Super Bowl rings) who's coached a long list of distinguished quarterbacks to huge statistical seasons. His list of pupils includes Steve Young, John Elway, Joe Flacco, and Peyton Manning, all of whom have won Super Bowls and 3.5 of which are generally considered elite, hall of fame players. So how would any of this translate to being the head coach at Texas?

The Kubiak system

A little known consideration here is Gary Kubiak is one of the O.G.'s of the Mike Shanahan wide zone offense. The system Sean McVay installed at LA and rode to the Super Bowl and Kyle Shanahan has employed with the Washington Football team (under RG3), the Super Bowl runner-up Falcons, and now the Super Bowl runner-up San Francisco 49ers.

The wide zone offensive system relies on A) a thorough mastery of the wide zone running scheme and B) attached a lot of bootlegs and play-action schemes to those wide zone runs. Here's wide zone:

The idea with wide zone is to crease the defense by having the linemen step laterally, often with a "go backwards to go forwards" approach, and the running back has options to help him hit a crease. Wide zone favors having an offensive line of quick, cohesive players. It's common for shorter, scrappy linemen like Dan Neil to thrive in the wide zone running game whereas something like Herman's tight zone is a tougher ask.

Because wide zone is basically aiming to flank the defense to one side, it generates a lot of space on the backside that can be used to have receivers (or quarterbacks) run around in or for the quarterback to use in order to buy time to throw deep.

Texas installed the play for 2020 for reasons I don't understand and struggled with it all season until the Kansas State game when they put young Jake Majors in at center. Kubiak typically runs wide zone as an under center play and the angles for the run are better under center, or at least in the pistol, because the quarterback can help the running back get wide and threaten the edge. As someone who's skeptical of Texas' ability to field massive, super-powered offensive lines (when has that ever happened), I'm generally in favor of hiring someone's who's specialty is in building a dominant rushing attack with the sort of linemen Texas tends to have.

You may be asking, is there a college or shotgun version of this style of offense? Does it have to be under center?

There is, actually. The Chip Kelly offense is arguably the Shanahan/Kubiak system adjusted for the shotgun and with a heavy dose of tempo sprinkled in. Kelly's Ducks ran a lot of outside zone and sweep plays and paired them with backside bootlegs, RPOs, quarterback option, etc. Kubiak could choose to pluck someone from the Kelly tree to help him adjust his offense for the college level. Or else he could stay more NFL-minded and go back under center some. Greg Davis ran a similar system as well and wide zone was a mainstay in the Vince Young and Colt McCoy eras.

Kubiak and the 2021 Longhorns

In the longterm, Texas needs to master the spread passing game and make it hold greater prominence in their offensive approach, but for 2021 running the ball and throwing regularly on play-action is absolutely the right approach.

Offensive tackle will be young, potentially Andrej Karic and Christian Jones pending this next offseason, and the offensive line as an overall unit will be young with Jake Majors and Junior Angilau as two of the most "well established" members. Wide receiver will be talented, but also young, with whoever sticks amongst Texas' three awesome slot receivers (Jake Smith, Jordan Whittington, Josh Moore) and then redshirt freshman Troy Omeire outside. Quarterback will likely be Hudson Card whenever he manages to officially overtake Casey Thompson.

The star of the show will be Bijan Robinson and Texas will have Roschon Johnson as a change of pace and contingency plan. This is coming from the guy who's wanted Sam Ehlinger in the Air Raid for five years, so when I tell you Texas needs to put primacy on the run game in 2021 to maximize their chances you know I'm shooting straight.

With a young but athletic offensive line and young quarterback, it's a no brainer to focus the team's efforts on running and play-action. Gary Kubiak has a long and illustrious career using his system to boost quarterbacks with skill sets varying from Steve Young to Sage Rosenfels to Joe Flacco to hobbled Peyton Manning. This would also be an obvious fit for the abilities of Hudson Card, who has the speed to keep the ball around the edge on zone-option, the skill to throw the ball on the move in the bootleg/rollout game, and the arm to push the ball down the field as well. Might be Ja'Quinden Jackson's best chance at quarterback as well.

The main hangup would be if Kubiak wanted to run this mostly under center, the smart route to quick results would be to do it from the pistol or gun for familiarity's sake and perhaps to hire a coach with experience in doing so. I'm not saying they couldn't run this offense under center successfully, there are still teams in the college game winning regularly under center (with this system, in fact), but that'd make for the easiest transition. Gary if you're reading this, I bet Mark Helfrich might be available.

Kubiak Recruiting

Does anyone remember when Charlie Strong brought Shawn Watson, fans were very "meh," and then there was a brief and short-lived media campaign on Watson's behalf? Various coaches and personalities in media spoke on Watson's behalf and sold him as a pro-style guru who could turn Texas' talented signal callers into NFL passers. It didn't really work, maybe in part because Texas targeted people like Zach Gentry and Kai Locksley, and maybe also because it wasn't long before there was Tyrone Swoopes film.

Well imagine a similar media campaign working on behalf of Gary Kubiak. The man has coached a dozen hall of fame quarterbacks and receivers and has friends and connections across the state amongst retired former pros (Blake Brockermeyer, Dan Neil) particularly from his Denver and Houston days. There'd be a lot of respected names vouching for him, which is good because who amongst us believe this 60-year old with Super Bowl rings is going to "kill himself" on the recruiting trail?

There's a chance this could work. Everything would hinge on Kubiak installing Hudson Card, getting a good feel quickly for how to set him up for success, and doing his normal magic with the wide zone running game in order to turn Bijan Robinson into an All-B12 first team running back. Success begets success at Texas and once you get the machine rolling, there can be serious momentum.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UT Lax said:

The point is that it just takes one drink and he is back off the wagon. The pressure of being a head coach at UT makes that highly likely!

"I said, 'I like the little things,' the way a glass feels in your hand--a good glass, thick, with a heavy base. I love the sound an ice cube makes when you drop it from just the right height. Too high, and it'll chip when you drop it. Chip the ice, and it'll melt too fast in the scotch . . . Good scotch sits in a charcoal barrel for 12 years. Very good scotch gets smoked for 29 years. Johnnie Walker Blue is 60-year-old scotch."

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

1a Mullen - Not happening so doesn’t matter 
1b Matt Campbell
2 Steve Sarkisian
3 Gary Kubiak
4 Mario Cristobal
5 Sonny Dykes
6 James Franklin

is the order of that IT list I’d go

I'm probably the same except maybe Franklin at 4 or 5 depending on the off field allegations and how much of a pass you're willing to give for one big outlier Covid year. Not sure who I'd prefer bt Sark and Kubiak either. None of them are exciting

CDC is now backing Tom to recruits

CDC called LJ Johnson per fat Ketch

* With National Signing Day around the corner, it appears an effort is being made to keep this recruiting class together and add another playmaker. Chris Del Conte recently picked up the phone to give LJ Johnson reassurances about the program. To our knowledge, Johnson is the only recruit who has asked to speak with Del Conte.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, CenTex Hill Billy said:

* With National Signing Day around the corner, it appears an effort is being made to keep this recruiting class together and add another playmaker. Chris Del Conte recently picked up the phone to give LJ Johnson reassurances about the program. To our knowledge, Johnson is the only recruit who has asked to speak with Del Conte.

He's backing the program to recruits. Says nothing about Tom 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, CenTex Hill Billy said:

Actually fucking cringe. 

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

1b Matt Campbell
2 Steve Sarkisian
3 Gary Kubiak
4 Mario Cristobal
5 Sonny Dykes
6 James Franklin

Have to watch a shitload of PSU games unfortunately - Franklin would be no better than Herman at Texas. He’s a worse coach imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

1b Matt Campbell
2 Steve Sarkisian
3 Gary Kubiak
4 Mario Cristobal
5 Sonny Dykes
6 James Franklin

If not Mullen, I would take Kubiak before Campbell or Sark.  The guy, though he is an Aggy, knows Texas and knows the type of expectations that a program like Texas would have.  In many ways he might be the "CEO" head coach we are looking for.  I don't love the idea but I would take him over Herman tomorrow.  

• Hook 'Em 1

What's Campbell's recruiting reputation? ISU's recruiting rankings are bad but it's ISU. Wonder if CDC could basically tell him he has to hire Samples and 1-2 other rainmakers

One red flag is that most of his current assistants came with him from Toledo. If Herman hadn't pulled that crap when he came here, he probably wouldn't be on the hot seat. CDC should tell him he gets max 3 to bring with him lol

If Campbell is a good evaluator and can put a staff together that recruits even slightly above average he will have an entire team full of 4 stars and really good 3 stars. If he gets hired then starts winning the recruits will come. Fuck it, hire Campbell because at least that gives us Kansas and Iowa state wins guaranteed. Change the thread to “Come on home Campbell, and we hope urban is driving a car with Mack in it when that cyst finally kills him.” That got a little dark at the end. 

not sorry vince vaughn GIF

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That literally is how the article was written - so it’s not his narrative, it’s the author’s. 

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It’s whatever fits any of our narratives, ‘cos we don’t know shit.

No way TH ever came up in a conversation between a recruit and CDC that was requested because of the uncertainty surrounding the TH's job.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, CenTex Hill Billy said:

No way TH ever came up in a conversation between a recruit and CDC that was requested because of the uncertainty surrounding the TH's job.

giphy.gif

CDC may not be a smart man, I don’t know I’ve never met him, but even a dumb man would know not to promise a coach to a fucking recruit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

*** This is not an endorsement

My dad was treating a kid years ago and he asked this kid who his favorite football player was. The kid answered, "Gary Kubiak". My father then asked "Who is Gary Kubiak?" The kid replied, "He is the quarterback for St. Pius. He is the greatest football player ever".

My dad was treating a kid years ago and he asked this kid who his favorite football player was. The kid answered, "Gary Kubiak". My father then asked "Who is Gary Kubiak?" The kid replied, "He is the quarterback for St. Pius. He is the greatest football player ever".

Yah? Well why don’t you go suck Gary’s dick if you think he’s so great and are obviously endorsing him!
  • Haha 1

Yah? Well why don’t you go suck Gary’s dick if you think he’s so great and are obviously endorsing him!
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm too busy sawing off my arm due to the Urban fiasco.

And you should feel bad for posting the same thing 4 times.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Triple post. Impressive

12 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Of course TH came up but that doesn't mean CDC told him anything concrete. And this call likely took place before the weekend when UM was still the focus.

Maybe CDC told Johnson, "You know our head coach was at Ohio State when they won it all, right?" and just let the kid assume he meant UM. 

• Haha 2