• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Someone beat you to it on the prior page, but fair point. 

I’m trending towards saying “fuck it, I’m Matt Campbell or bust” just so I can perpetually mock every poster that doesn’t believe that Matt Campbell would be interested in Texas. hahahaha. holy shit. 

I don't understand why he wouldn't be. He's at Iowa State. We may not be the Texas we think we are, but... HE'S AT IOWA STATE!

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

the trifecta.  don't stop there.  implement a bridge program for borderline applicants that are rejected and go to SHSU for a year to demonstrate their worth.  what starts at SHSU can come to Texas.

Well Tom was a coach there as well so maybe not the best pipeline to open. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not sold on Matt Campbell until I see how he plays against a late season OU team in the CCG. It's one thing to sneak up on OU early in the season, or need a last minute go ahead drive against one of the worst coached teams in the conference (kill me, pls), and another to play for the marbles on the big stage. No disrespect to what he has done with his resources at ISU, but the whole "5 StAr CuLtUrE" tweeting bullshit will look really bad if they get exposed by OU. 

Edited by USNALonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Most coaches are savvy enough not to wear their politics on the clothing they walk around in the public eye with. Don't be stupid and try to pick a fight you're going to lose. He's an awful fit for a city like Austin.

He’s not being hired to go lead a multi cultural parade in downtown, man. That he would be a bad fit for. If his politics did not interfere with his player relationships or recruiting it’s a non issue. My issue with him is his seemingly lack of desire to really recruit at a high level even adjusted for his school. That won’t work here. 

If Campbell can beat OU in the Big 12 Title Game and win the Conference (and that's a big if), then I think he's the most logical choice. Winning the Big 12 Conference is, and has always been, the standard; and step one to achieving the loftier goal of playing in the CFP. If Campbell demonstrates the ability win the Conference, with Recruiting Classes averaging in the 50's no less, then I think there is a very compelling story to sell recruits and the fan base.      

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He’s not being hired to go lead a multi cultural parade in downtown, man. That he would be a bad fit for. If his politics did not interfere with his player relationships or recruiting it’s a non issue. My issue with him is his seemingly lack of desire to really recruit at a high level even adjusted for his school. That won’t work here. 

Look, I'm not commenting on the politics of anything in one direction or another. We can save that shit for the Eyes of Texas thread or the CR. But if you think that Texas would go after a guy like Gundy, or even that a guy like Gundy would be interested in coming to a city like Austin and a university that's in the middle of a woke culture war about the fight song, you're out of your mind. There's a reason he's stayed where he is while dozens of lesser candidates have been hired at big schools over the years. He's right where he belongs, and he probably likes it that way. I'm sure the lack of interest between Texas and Gundy is and has always been mutual.

Edited by BradInATX

36 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

THIs idiot thinks we should make a run at Gary Kubiak... what the actual fuck?!

It's weird. There is so much Kubiak stuff coming out of nowhere. The guy has not coached in college since Shea Morenz was injuring himself at frat parties.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Look, I'm not commenting on the politics of anything in one direction or another. We can save that shit for the Eyes of Texas thread or the CR. But if you think that Texas would go after a guy like Gundy, or even that a guy like Gundy would be interested in coming to a city like Austin and a university that's in the middle of a woke culture war about the fight song, you're out of your mind. There's a reason he's stayed where he is while dozens of lesser candidates have been hired at big schools over the years. He's right where he belongs, and he probably likes it that way. I'm sure the lack of interest between Texas and Gundy is and has always been mutual.

Mike Gundy was considered and there was mutual interest in 2013 when Strong was hired. So, like there was mutual interest at one time. You are uninformed about this subject I am afraid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Footballpants said:

If Campbell can beat OU in the Big 12 Title Game and win the Conference (and that's a big if), then I think he's the most logical choice. Winning the Big 12 Conference is, and has always been, the standard; and step one to achieving the loftier goal of playing in the CFP. If Campbell demonstrates the ability win the Conference, with Recruiting Classes averaging in the 50's no less, then I think there is a very compelling story to sell recruits and the fan base.      

I can get on board with this. He doesn't check the "built at least two programs" criteria I have seen attributed to CDC. If that's really a requirement, why was he supposedly offered the job last year?

11 minutes ago, Footballpants said:

I want him regardless of what happens with that game, but winning it would go a long way towards making this happen.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Fritz took over a Central Mizzou team that was 4-7 and 4-7 the previous 2 seasons and lead them to the playoffs twice and back to back 10 win seasons

then

He took over a Sam Houston State program that went 5-6 and 4-7 the previous two seasons and lead them to back to back fcs championship appearances in 2 seasons and a 40-15 record there

then

he literally STARTS up the Georgia Southern program and goes 17-7 in two years (8 and 9 wins seasons)

then

He goes to Tulane and after 2 seasons has 3 back to back to back (this year likely) winning seasons. AT TULANE. Something that has not been done in 70 YEARS at Tulane

dude is an absolute stud and may be the most underrated coach in FBS

I didn't dispute what the guy has done. He hasn't done it anywhere that is going to drive interest at Texas. The dude is 60. He'd have to have done some badass shit at a high level for consideration at that age. He hasn't. That's not a subjective issue. No one cares about nothing but directional schools and d2 programs for a guy nearing retirement age.

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

1.IT made up the kubiak name and is trying to make it sound as credible as possible.  Remember that time you were telling your buddies you have a girlfriend In Canada and you get callled on it?  Your next move was to hug a refundable ticket to Toronto to show your buddies?  Could be that

Very specific example is very specific

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Mike Gundy was considered and there was mutual interest in 2013 when Strong was hired. So, like there was mutual interest at one time. You are uninformed about this subject I am afraid. 

He was a little more interesting as an option around 2013 - two years removed from winning the conference and finishing #3 in the country.  In 2013, he was coming off a 10-3 season and a Cotton Bowl appearance.

I'd hire Mike Gundy circa 2008-2013

I'd pass on Mike Gundy circa 2014 - present - he had a conference with a shitty Texas program, all of Baylor's problems, Tech going downhill and other than 2015-2017, it's been meh. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

I can get on board with this. He doesn't check the "built at least two programs" criteria I have seen attributed to CDC. If that's really a requirement, why was he supposedly offered the job last year?

He didn't necessarily 'build' Toledo - but he's been successful at two different programs.  I think thats what CDC would be looking for.

18 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It's weird. There is so much Kubiak stuff coming out of nowhere. The guy has not coached in college since Shea Morenz was injuring himself at frat parties.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/gary-kubiak-s-brother-in-law-named-texas-head-baseball-coach-17300000

Did everyone miss that connection?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He didn't necessarily 'build' Toledo - but he's been successful at two different programs.  I think thats what CDC would be looking for.

The question of “does it scale” he answered quite nicely from MAC to Big 12. It’s much closer to being a sure thing than hiring the guy that just was successful at a non P5. He doesn’t have to answer “can he win in the Big 12” only is it scalable to the extra demands of Texas. And I’m firmly of the opinion that those extra responsibilities become much easier when you win and recruit well. 

On Matt Campbell recruiting - in my opinion the traits to good recruiting are relate-ability,  sincerity, tenacity and a really good objective view of talent. Since the high level blue chip recruits do not really require a Gary Patterson type evaluation level he just needs to possess those other traits to win the top talent at a place like Texas. He obviously has demonstrated that at several positions he can out evaluate his peers (linebacker, tight  end, running back) so that should only help him supplement the blue chip targets. 

He represents a very high floor to me in terms of outcome. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

You're literally sitting here trying to make the case that Mike Gundy would come into the University of Texas in the middle of a culture war. And that a University in one of the most liberal cities in the country is going to hire a guy who is openly towards the extreme right-wing of politics. The guy had a scuttlebutt with players threatening to quit the team for political reasons no less than a year ago.. in Oklahoma. And he's prepared to walk into the middle of woke ass Austin Texas and the University. And you're telling me I'm uninformed? LMAO. You're a fucking moron. Sit down.

Gundy is one of the stupidest names mentioned in a thread full of stupid names,

Edited by BradInATX
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You're literally sitting here trying to make the case that Mike Gundy would come into the University of Texas in the middle of a culture war. And that a University in one of the most liberal cities in the country is going to hire a guy who is openly towards the extreme right-wing of politics. The guy had a scuttlebutt with players threatening to quit the team for political reasons no less than a year ago.. in Oklahoma. And he's prepared to walk into the middle of woke ass Austin Texas and the University. And you're telling me I'm uninformed? LMAO. You're a fucking moron.

Im not the one making the argument for Gundy to Texas or not to Texas. You are the one who’s personal views are making you draw a conclusion that isn’t likely true based on facts we have already observed. Gundy is no more far right than Urban Meyer and we just threw the kitchen sink at him. We also already considered hiring Gundy once at Texas. Those data points  suggest it’s the likelihood the coach can win not what their political views are that driver of this decision. 

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Im not the one making the argument for Gundy to Texas or not to Texas. You are the one who’s personal views are making you draw a conclusion that isn’t likely true based on facts we have already observed. Gundy is no more far right than Urban Meyer and we just threw the kitchen sink at him. We also already considered hiring Gundy once at Texas. Those data points  suggest it’s the likelihood the coach can win not what their political views are that driver of this decision. 

You've got an axe to grind that I'm not going to entertain. Gundy is as likely to take a job in the middle of a culture war in Austin as someone like Gregg Popovich is going to move to the middle of bum fuck Oklahoma. There is a zero percent chance that Texas is going to hire a guy who has already had political controversies at his school when we're in the middle of political unrest at our school. The partisan lean isn't even important. We're not going bring a flamethrower near a leaky propane tank. Don't be an idiot.

Edited by BradInATX

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

You've got an axe to grind that I'm not going to entertain. Gundy is as likely to take a job in the middle of a culture war in Austin as someone like Gregg Popovich is going to move to the middle of bum fuck Arkansas. Don't be an idiot.

Of course you are not going to entertain another viewpoint or even actual, observable data points that conflict with your bias. That’s your calling card. Just stick to your narrative, call me an ugly name and relegate me to some category of people you disagree with. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Fuck Mike Gundy, why would we want to hire another coach that can't beat OU

CTJ brought him into this conversation just because he wants to see the world burn. I do not think he would do well at Texas because of his lack of emphasis on recruiting and obviously his inability to beat OU is another huge red flag. 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Of course you are not going to entertain another viewpoint or even actual, observable data points that conflict with your bias. That’s your calling card. Just stick to your narrative, call me an ugly name and relegate me to some category of people you disagree with. 

Okay. You're right. We're going to hire a guy who had a major political controversy that caused unrest within his team like four months ago to a job at a University in the middle of a huge woke political crisis.

1 minute ago, GTX Horn said:

Maybe Tony Elliot at Clemson? Doubt we’d hire a Coordinator to “learn on the job” as Head Coach here though.

The "learn the job" issue I've heard but I would really like to know why not. I know most will say experience, bbs in the box, politics but there are plenty who have done it and won (Oklahoma, Texas Tech-Kliff).

26 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The question of “does it scale” he answered quite nicely from MAC to Big 12. It’s much closer to being a sure thing than hiring the guy that just was successful at a non P5. He doesn’t have to answer “can he win in the Big 12” only is it scalable to the extra demands of Texas. And I’m firmly of the opinion that those extra responsibilities become much easier when you win and recruit well. 

On Matt Campbell recruiting - in my opinion the traits to good recruiting are relate-ability,  sincerity, tenacity and a really good objective view of talent. Since the high level blue chip recruits do not really require a Gary Patterson type evaluation level he just needs to possess those other traits to win the top talent at a place like Texas. He obviously has demonstrated that at several positions he can out evaluate his peers (linebacker, tight  end, running back) so that should only help him supplement the blue chip targets. 

He represents a very high floor to me in terms of outcome. 

I agree.

While I have some concerns about Campbell, including how he'd do recruiting against elite recruiting programs and how he can handle running a major program (the only successful coach I can think of at a major program who never even played or GA'd at one previously is Brian Kelly), all of these coaches being mentioned have concerns, and Campbell has the most tangible success that we can point to. 

And regarding recruiting, ISU has finished 6th in Big XII recruiting each of the past two years, which is pretty good for that program. How would he do vs A&M, OU, Bama, Ohio State, and LSU? That's an unknown. Brian Kelly and Dan Mullen are both somewhat analogous in their own ways to Campbell as coaching prospects, and neither were known as strong recruiters at their previous spots, but do fine in at their current big program jobs. 

Regarding him potentially keeping his staff while going to Texas, and comparisons of Herman bringing his minor leagues staff to Texas, I don't think the situations are all that similar considering Campbell's ISU staff might help him win the Big XII; they're already P5 tested. I'd have concerns about their recruiting abilities, but hopefully they're better than we know, and hopefully a strong support staff would help them. Also, Urban took about half of his Utah staff to Florida, and probably would have taken them all had they not gotten promotions to HC and coordinator jobs; the rest of his Florida staff was filled with a holdover (Strong), and new assistants from different areas of the country. It wouldn't surprise me if something similar happened with Campbell where Heacock gets the ISU job and a couple of guys stay for promotions, and then Campbell attempts to fill their spots with strong replacements. 

Again, he's not the ideal candidate and has some question marks, but he appears to be the best bet to roll the dice on. If we can get him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

CTJ brought him into this conversation just because he wants to see the world burn. I do not think he would do well at Texas because of his lack of emphasis on recruiting and obviously his inability to beat OU is another huge red flag. 

While I don't mind a comparison to the Joker every now and then, I did say that I didn't expect him to get an interview, even if he wanted one. 

16 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Okay. You're right. We're going to hire a guy who had a major political controversy that caused unrest within his team like four months ago to a job at a University in the middle of a huge woke political crisis.

If he wins nobody will care about his politics. But Gundy has not done that, at least not at a high enough level for him to be a candidate, for awhile.

I think it is best for everybody if he stays at OSU.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I can't say "excited" yet, but I've been a fan of Campbell from the jump. I found a thread where I was bragging on him in 2017 on Shaggy the other day. I guess with thinking we could get Meyer, nothing looks as awesome as it did before. Anyway, I'd be happy with Campbell and would find ways to get excited by the opening game of 2021. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Kubiak???

tenor.gif?itemid=4754628

Yeah let's not let the Gundy thing cause us to lose focusness on just how fucking terrible the Kubiak idea is. Jesus Christ. The difference between the terrible Kubiak and Gundy ideas is that Kubiak would actually take the job and that's terrifying.

Edited by BradInATX