• Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Wait I thought he’d be a huge improvement

I think he’d have us competing for conference championships on a regular basis (more so than Herman), but I don’t know whether or not he’d have us competing on a national level with teams like Clemson, Ohio State, Bama, etc.

49 minutes ago, Fud said:

It wouldn't surprise me if something similar happened with Campbell where Heacock gets the ISU job and a couple of guys stay for promotions, and then Campbell attempts to fill their spots with strong replacements. 

This is my biggest concern about Campbell. Heacock was with Campbell at Toledo and ISU, and I think there's a pretty strong argument that Heacock's defense has built Campbell's resume moreseo than Campbell's offense. Obviously, Campbell gets some of the credit as the HC for overall talent acquisition and development.  He's done a pretty good job with ISU's offense considering the talent deficiency and he's improved the offense every year as he gets more of his personnel in there, but his offensive numbers don't blow anyone away and he reminds me some of Herman's in that he's very rigid in his style and is prone to long bouts of not being able to move the ball.  For Heacock, having a top 28 defense three years in a row at ISU is extremely impressive.  I'd view Campbell as a much less attractive option if Heacock stays at ISU.  

Per S&P:

2015 (Toledo) O:60th, D 33rd

2016 (ISU):          81st, 67th

2017:                   13th, 88th

2018:                   59th, 28th

2019:                   42nd, 25th

2020:                   25th, 25th

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is my biggest concern about Campbell. Heacock was with Campbell at Toledo and ISU, and I think there's a pretty strong argument that Heacock's defense has built Campbell's resume moreseo than Campbell's offense. Obviously, Campbell gets some of the credit as the HC for overall talent acquisition and development.  He's done a pretty good job with ISU's offense considering the talent deficiency and he's improved the offense every year as he gets more of his personnel in there, but his offensive numbers don't blow anyone away and he reminds me some of Herman's in that he's very rigid in his style and is prone to long bouts of not being able to move the ball.  For Heacock, having a top 28 defense three years in a row at ISU is extremely impressive.  I'd view Campbell as a much less attractive option if Heacock stays at ISU.  

Per S&P:

2015 (Toledo) O:60th, D 33rd

2016 (ISU):          81st, 67th

2017:                   13th, 88th

2018:                   59th, 28th

2019:                   42nd, 25th

2020:                   25th, 25th

He could keep Ash on, like Urban kept Strong on 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

He could keep Ash on, like Urban kept Strong on 

True. I feel good enough about Ash after this year, but Ash may look for another chance at a HC gig as soon as he can and then we're back in the same spot.  My main point is that the key on-the-field piece that seems to have gotten Campbell to where he is now isn't something he can reproduce on his own and we haven't seen him make any other DC hires to know if Heacock was a one-off or not, so it makes him a riskier take, but his offense is still a positive, and he seems capable of evaluating, developing, and instilling a strong culture, so he definitely checks off some boxes. I like seeing a guy at a place long enough for his own guys to get in there to see if he can recruit and develop to his system.  This was a big data point we were missing with Herman/Orlando. It's now clear in retrospect Orlando can't at all, and Herman hasn't done a very good job with OL or WR. 

One other positive on Campbell is I like his QB takes since he got to ISU.  Purdy's obviously the only one we've actually gotten to see play, but it seems like he's a pretty good QB evaluator from looking at his other takes.

Edited by Burt Macklin

One thing with Campbell is I think he would bring a better all around culture than Charlie or Herman brought. I know we’ve says that about each coach that has came here but with Campbell that’s a must have if you are going to continually show success at a place like ISU. 

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

The "learn the job" issue I've heard but I would really like to know why not. I know most will say experience, bbs in the box, politics but there are plenty who have done it and won (Oklahoma, Texas Tech-Kliff).

I must have missed the winning part of Kliff's Tech tenure.

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Kirby is going to get tired of losing to more teams than just Bama if this year is any indication.  Multiple years of recruiting on par with Saban should not lead to a mediocre team like the one he has now, or having to scramble for not one but two transfer QBs to play immediately.

Letting Fields walk killed them.

Edited by 4th&Five

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Kirby is going to get tired of losing to more teams than just Bama if this year is any indication.  Multiple years of recruiting on par with Saban should not lead to a mediocre team like the one he has now, or having to scramble for not one but two transfer QBs to play immediately.

This. I live in Georgia currently. Let no one deceive you that GA fans are trash too, throwing shit at you for wearing a different team trash. Oklahoma of the South. Extraordinary expectations every year as well that they are getting tired of being not met. Just have to wonder how long he’s got, and whether it would be a net upgrade over Herman. 

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Lol at Dennis Dodds.  Matt Campbell is going to hold out for only Ohio State or Notre Dame when both those schools have successful coaches already entrenched?   Just going to chill for 15 years making half the money he could make at a big school, hoping his star doesn’t fade if Iowa State regresses to the mean, so he can strike while the iron is hot in 2038 when Ohio State opens up?

I think Campbell is older than Day.  Day can be there for a long ass time.  Kelly is old though, but ND's first call will be to Urban and he'd likely say yes.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

I want Sterlin Gilbert back as OC.  

Now, see, I was wondering why folks might think that Kubiak would be a bad hire. Then I see comments like this, along with the "Tom Herman will be back next year" hand-wringing, and I've got my answer:

Some of y'all are really, really stupid.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Lol at Dennis Dodds.  Matt Campbell is going to hold out for only Ohio State or Notre Dame when both those schools have successful coaches already entrenched?   Just going to chill for 15 years making half the money he could make at a big school, hoping his star doesn’t fade if Iowa State regresses to the mean, so he can strike while the iron is hot in 2038 when Ohio State opens up?

This.  Like Campbell couldn't leave Texas or Michigan if he truly wanted to take the Notre Dame job when it opens up 5+ years from now.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, I can't say "excited" yet, but I've been a fan of Campbell from the jump. I found a thread where I was bragging on him in 2017 on Shaggy the other day. I guess with thinking we could get Meyer, nothing looks as awesome as it did before. Anyway, I'd be happy with Campbell and would find ways to get excited by the opening game of 2021. 

I also like Campbell, I think he makes the most sense out of all of the remaining candidates. Going back to the midwest guy thing, I saw somewhere that Michigan may be a place that snaps him up if we don't. He would kill it at Michigan, which means he could also kill it here.

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I also like Campbell, I think he makes the most sense out of all of the remaining candidates. Going back to the midwest guy thing, I saw somewhere that Michigan may be a place that snaps him up if we don't. He would kill it at Michigan, which means he could also kill it here.

I don't think Michigan is ready to fire Harbaugh yet.  There was report that Michigan was looking to extend Harbaugh with a deal that had lower guaranteed dollars and a smaller buyout - thats the kind of move you make when you are going to give a guy one more year before you fire him, but you don't want a 'lame-duck' season killing your recruiting.

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Why would I take a guy who couldn't coach in college and then spent this year and last showing he couldn't coach in the NFL.

He had fucking Patrick Mahomes and never won more than 7 games with him.

Get a good DC (muschamp) and I sure would.

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't think Michigan is ready to fire Harbaugh yet.  There was report that Michigan was looking to extend Harbaugh with a deal that had lower guaranteed dollars and a smaller buyout - thats the kind of move you make when you are going to give a guy one more year before you fire him, but you don't want a 'lame-duck' season killing your recruiting.

Had he been gang raped at the 50 yard line in Columbus this weekend on national television, I think that would have swayed sentiment dramatically. Yay Rona?. 

39 minutes ago, NavyHorn said:

This. I live in Georgia currently. Let no one deceive you that GA fans are trash too, throwing shit at you for wearing a different team trash. Oklahoma of the South. Extraordinary expectations every year as well that they are getting tired of being not met. Just have to wonder how long he’s got, and whether it would be a net upgrade over Herman. 

They talked plenty of shit before the Sugar Bowl. Then Uga fucked around and found out. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

They talked plenty of shit before the Sugar Bowl. Then Uga fucked around and found out. 

Brooooo it was nonstop here. From the jump Bevo was havin none of it and we took that energy straight into the game. Didn’t even get the chance to properly gloat cause then came all the “we didn’t really want to be there” excuses. Nah, fuck y’all and the dawg you rode in on. I never despised GA and their fans as much until I lived here. As they say in SCAR, to hell with Georgia. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, I can't say "excited" yet, but I've been a fan of Campbell from the jump. I found a thread where I was bragging on him in 2017 on Shaggy the other day. I guess with thinking we could get Meyer, nothing looks as awesome as it did before. Anyway, I'd be happy with Campbell and would find ways to get excited by the opening game of 2021. 

Dude, you clearly have too much time on your hands. And you should probably think about washing them...if you've been scrolling around shaggy.

LIstening to one of those Jeff Howe / Rod Babers / Annoying Constant Talker Who Doesn't Take a Breath Guy podcasts and Jeff had a thought regarding CDC and this hire:

Alabama is coming to DKR in 2021.  Thats going to be a national TV game, likely with GameDay, that Texas can use to show off their new SEZ and other new facilities.  CDC is going to want a coach that can be ready in Year 2 to stand toe-to-toe with Saban on that field and not embarrass CDC/University on a national stage.  Reduces any chance of Herman sticking around for a year and Texas having to break in a new coach in that season.

Does it change anything on the coaching search?  I think it probably lessons any chance that Texas takes a flier on a guy with limited experience like Traylor or a current Coordinator like Elliot.

It might be enough to cause CDC to over-value a coach with experience like Cristobal. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

LIstening to one of those Jeff Howe / Rod Babers / Annoying Constant Talker Who Doesn't Take a Breath Guy podcasts and Jeff had a thought regarding CDC and this hire:

Alabama is coming to DKR in 2021.  Thats going to be a national TV game, likely with GameDay, that Texas can use to show off their new SEZ and other new facilities.  CDC is going to want a coach that can be ready in Year 2 to stand toe-to-toe with Saban on that field and not embarrass CDC/University on a national stage.  Reduces any chance of Herman sticking around for a year and Texas having to break in a new coach in that season.

Does it change anything on the coaching search?  I think it probably lessons any chance that Texas takes a flier on a guy with limited experience like Traylor or a current Coordinator like Elliot.

It might be enough to cause CDC to over-value a coach with experience like Cristobal. 

Lol. If CDC is looking to hire a coach that can stand up to Satan and Bama in 2 years, well shit... that ship seemingly sailed off this weekend without us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

They didn’t want to be there. It was obvious as ever. Otherwise it would have been a 4-OT loss. But I’m serious, they did not want to be there. I don’t know why we care. Who gives a fuck. 

They might not have wanted to be there, but they also didn’t want to get their stools pushed in the way they did. That game was nowhere near as close as the final score indicated, and it wasn’t because Georgia just decided not to play. They assumed they’d beat our asses and they got punched in the face. It happens. 

• Hook 'Em 1