• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

At what other time would Jeff Fucking Traylor be a “slam dunk” hire for the University of Texas? In some hypothetical world where he’s already won a national championship or two?  Or is there another time when hiring the head coach from the University of Texas at San Antonio would be a “slam dunk” hire for us?

I don’t understand the fascination some folks have with Jeff Traylor.

Dude is a really good coach. He’s not ready for a big job just yet though

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

At what other time would Jeff Fucking Traylor be a “slam dunk” hire for the University of Texas? In some hypothetical world where he’s already won a national championship or two?  Or is there another time when hiring the head coach from the University of Texas at San Antonio would be a “slam dunk” hire for us?

Totally fair. Unfortunately I don’t see too many big names lining up for this job. Urban makes sense but if you’re currently at Oregon or Clemson, I’m not so sure you come to the frying pan. Basically, I question how tempting this job is to very highly touted coaches who have multiple options. If Michigan is open, it adds even more curveballs (and I think it’s a very similar situation to Texas). 

9 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

For the record, I'd comfortably prefer Cristobal over Fickell..

But if I'm gonna assume an anti-Cristobal position, I'd say it's at least a little concerning they barely mattered on a national stage last year with Herbert at QB. And based on what we've seen in 2020, it's not super likely a QB that good rolls through Austin in the next 20 years.

I should point out that we almost, and absolutely should have, beaten Oregon last week.  Completely outplayed them, and dare I say, Chip Kelly outcoached Cristobal.  Cristobal is a great recruiter.   Jury is still out on how good of a coach he is.  And money whipping him to Texas wouldn’t work.  Uncle Phil would write a check in a second if he needed to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

In what world would hiring Lincoln Riley at the University of Fucking Oklahoma have been a "slam dunk"?  But look how that worked out.  Traylor is a winner and will be a winner at UTSA.  He  can recruit and is a creative offensive mind.  You don't win like he did at Gilmer by being stupid.  Traylor would have been a better hire than McWilliams, Strong and Herman.  Traylor was a better high school coach than that cheating fuck Art Briles.  With the resources at a place like Texas he would shine.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Dude is a really good coach. He’s not ready for a big job just yet though

He was a really good coach in high school.  His only college head coaching experience is at UTSA, and he’s 6-4.

The fact that Jeff Traylor is part of this conversation is further evidence of how Longhorn National is completely beat down.

• Hook 'Em 2

Gary Patterson. Already has a good relationship with Del Conte. His wife is a Texas Ex. He’s 60 years old, nearing the end of his career. There’s really nothing more he can accomplish at TCU. He has all the money he’ll ever need. I’m sure there’s a part of him that wonders what he could do with the talent he would have at UT. There’s no denying the guy and coach up talent. He’s no-nonsense and I think it’s what the program needs at this point. Give us 6 or 7 good years, stabilize the program, and ride off into the sunset. 

3 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

In what world would hiring Lincoln Riley at the University of Fucking Oklahoma have been a "slam dunk"?  But look how that worked out.  Traylor is a winner and will be a winner at UTSA.  He  can recruit and is a creative offensive mind.  You don't win like he did at Gilmer by being stupid.  Traylor would have been a better hire than McWilliams, Strong and Herman.  Traylor was a better high school coach than that cheating fuck Art Briles.  With the resources at a place like Texas he would shine.  

Riley worked because you had a top football mind who hand picked him and groomed him.  And he had a great offensive line coach. 

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

A 6-4 career collegiate head coaching record (earned at legendary powerhouse UTSA) doesnt do it for you? Well aren't we full of ourselves.

There's a better chance we dig up and reanimate Darrell Royal than Traylor getting considered. And I'm fine with that.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

He was a really good coach in high school.  His only college head coaching experience is at UTSA, and he’s 6-4.

The fact that Jeff Traylor is part of this conversation is further evidence of how Longhorn National is completely beat down.

Best year in 3 years. First year coach as well. 

26BA4E29-352F-4439-AEB8-075995D46D9E.jpeg

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Riley worked because you had a top football mind who hand picked him and groomed him.  And he had a great offensive line coach. 

Riley works out because ousux doesn’t look for home run hires. They consistently do a good job of evaluating coaching talent and going out and hiring said talent. Meanwhile since Dkr we have shit the bed hiring coaches. 

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm not even sure I'd say Jeff is a slam dunk for OC.

Back to the wall, I'll take Mario over Fickell and both over Herm

I had sex with your mom

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Riley works out because ousux doesn’t look for home run hires. They consistently do a good job of evaluating coaching talent and going out and hiring said talent. Meanwhile since Dkr we have shit the bed hiring coaches. 

Riley was also an OC savant at ECU.  Charlie could've hired him but went with Watson.  Stoops grasbbed him and mentored him for two years.  When have we done something like that?

6 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Traylor would have been a better hire than McWilliams, Strong and Herman. 

That argument is complete fantasy.

Sure, those coaches turned out bad. But it’s complete Jeff-Traylor-fanboy guesswork to claim that the head coach at the University of Texas at San Antonio with a career 6-4 career record would be a better hire than those guys. Just stop.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some of you motherfuckers would tell Bum Phillips to kick rocks because he coached in high school at Nederland.  If you can coach, it ain't rocket science, it is all about opportunity.  Meyer tried to get on with Saban back in the day, but  Saban never returned his call.  He wound up at Bowling Green and the rest is history.  You just have to make the right choice.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That argument is complete fantasy.

Sure, those coaches turned out bad. But it’s complete Jeff-Traylor-fanboy guesswork to claim that the head coach at the University of Texas at San Antonio with a career 6-4 career record would be a better hire than those guys. Just stop.

If you don't believe Jeff Traylor is a better football coach than Charlie Strong then I don't know what to tell you.  

12 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

Gary Patterson. Already has a good relationship with Del Conte. His wife is a Texas Ex. He’s 60 years old, nearing the end of his career. There’s really nothing more he can accomplish at TCU. He has all the money he’ll ever need. I’m sure there’s a part of him that wonders what he could do with the talent he would have at UT. There’s no denying the guy and coach up talent. He’s no-nonsense and I think it’s what the program needs at this point. Give us 6 or 7 good years, stabilize the program, and ride off into the sunset. 

Hard pass.  Yes, he owns Texas but that strikes me as a sort of personal thing for him.  His last few years have been iffy

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You know who else had a really good head record in high school? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, lemonandaturd said:

If you don't believe Jeff Traylor is a better football coach than Charlie Strong then I don't know what to tell you.  

That’s not what I’m saying.

You’re making coaching arguments with a combination of hindsight (we now know that Charlie Strong sucked because he produced a shitty record, but he had a better resume in 2013 than Jeff Traylor does now) and blind guesses about the future (we have no clue how Jeff Traylor will fare at a big time college program with one year’s data at UTSA).

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The more I think about Cristobal, the less excited. Overall HC track record isn't great, high chance of violations with him, and his offense made Herbert (who looks like the truth in the NFL) look pretty mediocre

Cristobal studied for a while under Saban and is from Miami.  And he's willing to cheat.  You see where I'm going?

Could this work:

HC Cristobal

OC Traylor

DC Muschamp

Also, I wouldn't slam the door on Huepel

Just now, South Austin said:

That’s not what I’m saying.

You’re making coaching arguments with a combination of hindsight (we now know that Charlie Strong sucked because he produced a shitty record, but he had a better resume in 2013 than Jeff Traylor does now) and blind guesses about the future (we have no clue how Jeff Traylor will fare at a big time college program with one year’s data at UTSA).

I'll put is this way,  Jeff Traylor coached most of his young life at Gilmer and wound up with the stadium named after him.  I have never heard him talk stupid shit like rowing the boat, chopping the wood, or going 1-0.  He is all about class, preparation, and development.  Jeff is going to do well and I hope he fucking raids East Texas and puts some more dudes in the Sincere McCormick mold on his team.  If he succeeds then he will be on the Urban/Bowling Green path.  Good luck to him and I hope it happens. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

I'll put is this way,  Jeff Traylor coached most of his young life at Gilmer and wound up with the stadium named after him.  I have never heard him talk stupid shit like rowing the boat, chopping the wood, or going 1-0.  He is all about class, preparation, and development.  Jeff is going to do well and I hope he fucking raids East Texas and puts some more dudes in the Sincere McCormick mold on his team.  If he succeeds then he will be on the Urban/Bowling Green path.  Good luck to him and I hope it happens. 

All that is fair. 

• Hook 'Em 1

After Urban, I think Campbell and Fickell are next in line. Campbell isn't sexy but his team is disciplined with good fundamentals, and the schemes seem solid. Fickell could be Herman 2.0 or could be the next big thing. Who knows. Tony Eliott is interesting but former Clemson OCs haven't panned out in the past (Morris and first year for Scott) so I'm wary there

Given the lack of great options, I might then go to the semi-crazy option of Joe Brady while backing up the truck for Odom as DC (or maybe even keep Ash). I'd even consider Sark if his drinking is under control, although his HC track record isn't too exciting

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Mack didn't leave UNC for us? Gary Barnett was fighting for the job too

Mullen didn't leave MSU for Florida?  

Mel Tucker didn't leave Cu for MSU?

Mack Brown was a lifetime ago.

Mullen was middling coach with 1 good season at a shitty school.

Mel Tucker was 5-7 his one year at Colorado and 1-3 currently at MSU, why not bring up Willie Taggart.

9 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Mack Brown was a lifetime ago.

Mullen was middling coach with 1 good season at a shitty school.

Mel Tucker was 5-7 his one year at Colorado and 1-3 currently at MSU, why not bring up Willie Taggart.

Or Mike Leach.  Or Sonny Dykes?  Or Dana?  Hell the latter two left P5 programs for non P5.  Bottom line is coaches move for different reasons

• immamac changed the title to The Surly Official 2020 Corching Search Thread of DOOM and DESPAIR