Mystic River is a good movie

Parliament

It is indeed.  It's a Dennis Lehane story and most of his stuff is pretty, pretty good.  I had forgotten that it was a Clint Eastwood joint.

I don't think it's a really cookie-cutter plot.  The ambiguity of the Robbins character is a pretty good twist.

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think I do too and I like GBG pretty well.

agree.

all three are great movies but mystic river is above the other two. jimmy markum is tough to compete with as a character and throw in bacon, robbins, and fishburne.  beats baby affleck and a woman.   

Edited by futureman

2 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Casey Affleck was so good in GBG he almost pushes GBG past Mystic River on his own.  But, too much talent in Mystic River.

I like The Town just for the car chase scene.  "Now that's how you drive a fucking car."

This is where I am.  Mystic River is certainly more epic, but I just prefer GBG and Casey Affleck has a lot to do with that. The ancillary characters in GBG were awesome as well. 

The Town is really good but a different kind of movie.  It’s a cliche “one last heist” movie that is executed and acted extremely well.  

Yeah not sure it's necessarily fair to compare The Town with Mystic River or Gone, Baby, Gone. 

All three are entertaining in different ways.

The Town is more of a straightforward heist/crime thriller, where as the other two are much more psychological thrillers.

I really wanted to hate The Town because of Affleck, but it's a great fucking movie. 

As is Mystic River.  Is there a stronger combination of bigger prick and phenomenal actor than Sean Penn?

And since we're talking about Bahston, you have to throw in a cinematic great like The Departed.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I really wanted to hate The Town because of Affleck, but it's a great fucking movie. 

As is Mystic River.  Is there a stronger combination of bigger prick and phenomenal actor than Sean Penn?

And since we're talking about Bahston, you have to throw in a cinematic great like The Departed.

Yeah The Town is fantastic.  

I've never been an Affleck hater, but acting ability aside, the dude is an excellent director.  The Town, GBG and Argo are all excellent pieces of film making. 

9 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah The Town is fantastic.  

I've never been an Affleck hater, but acting ability aside, the dude is an excellent director.  The Town, GBG and Argo are all excellent pieces of film making. 

yeah I’d say ben affleck’s ability as a director is one of the bigger hollywood surprises of the 21st century.  very, very talented and so unexpected. 

8 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Totally unrelated to the discussion, but a girl I knew went to go see Mystic River in the theater thinking it was an adventure movie. About 20 minutes in she asked "When are they going to get to the river?!?"

Big deal, did you get in her pants?

23 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

This I do agree with. I would rank them:

1A) The Town

1B) Mystic River

2) Gone, Baby, Gone

Totally agreed. All three are fantastic, but there's something damn special about The Town. One of the easiest rewatchable movies, too.
Sean Penn, asshole notwithstanding, is probably my favorite working actor. And this is where I fell in love with Emmy Rossum, too. I still cry to this day at "is that my daughter in there??.