Colorado ski resorts for thanksgiving

SMUlawUTgrad

We are wanting to plan a trip to Colorado for thanksgiving thanksgiving. We have never skied before snd will be traveling with an almost-5-year-old and a 2 two year old. The actual skiing aspect is the least important aspect of the trip. Looking for other snow based activities with nice restaurants and housing.

We have never been to the area but it seems like Keyston, Breckenridge, Vail, or Beaver Creek are the most common but we don’t really know why to choose one over the other. What say you?

Any skiing at Thanksgiving is going to suck and be on mostly man made. Just pick a place that fits your non skiing agenda best. If you need recommendations based on that tell us what you like to do when you are on vacation and a general budget as in: 

Cheap, some nice thing in a budget, I pay for a good experience, I'm rich af, I don't want to be around the plebs

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Cheap, some nice thing in a budget, I pay for a good experience, I'm rich af, I don't want to be around the plebs

That's why I mentioned Brek. There's both tacos available and plenty of shit to do. I'd move there if I could afford it.

• Like 1

Any skiing at Thanksgiving is going to suck and be on mostly man made. Just pick a place that fits your non skiing agenda best. If you need recommendations based on that tell us what you like to do when you are on vacation and a general budget as in: 

Probably more along the lines of “I pay for a good experience/ let’s avoid total gen pop.” Also with things to do for the above referenced kids.

Probably more along the lines of “I pay for a good experience/ let’s avoid total gen pop.” Also with things to do for the above referenced kids.

So like a few have said, thanksgiving is still very early season for a lot of Colorado. That said, your focus for now seems to be on the dining and younger kid activities (mine are 9 and 6 now). We did the week from Christmas through New Years last year with another family at Keystone. We like the kid program best at Keystone for ski school, plus other activities in the area. COVID has changed some things as far as reservations go, but Keystone had a tubing hill that is on the first level of the mountain that you buy separate tickets for. Book early, because it will book up. There’s also usually a play castle type thing that the kids have fun at (with mom, because I’m having beer at the nearest lodge or skiing). Back towards Dillon there’s an ice castle place that lights up at night and has mazes and slides, but it may not open until December. Overall easy town to get around. Unrelated, I found 4 MSRP Stagg Jr. on the shelf at the liquor store next to the main grocery store in Dillon. Lol

That said, Breckinridge is my favorite. Skiing is top notch and the downtown/dining is fantastic. Vail/Aspen can make a case but for price and convenience, it’s Breck for me. Breck and Keystone are both on the same pass, so there’s no reason you can’t hit both over the same trip or at least venture over to the other for a day/dinner. If you have specific questions, just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. That’s really helpful. And the Stagg Jr would be a huge plus.

I keep thinking of more things. Frisco, which is off the 70 exit heading into Breckinridge also has a tubing hill that’s usually open by now I think. Frisco is also an option for downtown/dining, but really there are plenty of good places in Breckenridge. I can send a separate list of Breckenridge food options.

We picked keystone the last time since we were with a bunch of kids. Keystone doesn’t seem to be as crowded. Most of the best food options are in the main village, so we did those for lunches. We mostly picked up pizza or cooked back at the Vrbo to get the kids down this last time. Went out one night to Snake River. Keystone also has a big lake ice skating rink in their little secondary village that the kids enjoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/28/2020 at 7:36 PM, SMUlawUTgrad said:

Sorry. For next year.

Skiing at Thanksgiving is always a crapshoot.  Snow will probably be bad, and there's a chance the resorts won't even be open.  Winter Park doesn't open until this Thursday.

I would pick another time for a ski trip.  Just before Christmas is a lot less crowded than after.

On 11/28/2020 at 7:17 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

Considering Colorado is under the rule of Comrade Polis and they’re shuttering everything, you might want to find a different ski spot

Then don't come, fucko.  We've got really high COVID cases and hospitalizations right now and we need to get them under control if the ski seasons are going to happen.  Inconveniencing you is pretty low on our priority list about now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1