Prison movies

billfromlaketravis

Blackmail, 1939, Edward G. Robinson.  A fugitive from a chain gang becomes an oil-well firefighter and meets the man who framed him.

Blackwell's Island, 1939, John Garfield. A reporter sends a mobster to prison, then goes in after him posing as a convict.

Castle on the Hudson, 1940, John Garfield. Sing Sing's warden lets a convict visit his girlfriend on the honor system, but something goes wrong.

Each Dawn I Die, 1939, James Cagney.  An innocent reporter is found guilty of murder and is sent to jail while his friends at the newspaper try to find out who framed him.

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang, 1932, Paul Muni.  An innocent man is sent to a prison farm, where he endures the dehumanizing effects of a cruel criminal justice system.

Invisible Stripes, 1939, George Raft.  An ex-convict joins bank robbers t finance his younger brother's honest business.

These are what I can think of at the moment.  There were a lot of them made in the 1930's starring Robinson, Raft, Bogart, Garfield, Muni, etc.

30 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Jimmy was in a few prison movies if I recall correctly.

Yeah, he and Warner Brothers were on a hot streak with crime films in the 30's - 40's. This film is a duel edged sword. He's a gangster, but he's hiding as the warden of a reformatory trying to change things for the kids. He had a heart of gold!

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oceans Eleven, Blues Brothers both say hey.

Nope. Ex-con does not a prison pic make.

This one is a pretty god overlooked Tom Selleck film.

Escape at Dannemora  is probably the best prison film/series in the last 20 years.

Edited by RPM

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Nope. Ex-con does not a prison pic make.

This one is a pretty god overlooked Tom Selleck film.

Escape at Dannemora  is probably the best prison film/series in the last 20 years.

I agree I was posting those as examples of movies starting in prison that had nothing to do with prison.  Should have maybe been more clear.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I agree I was posting those as examples of movies starting in prison that had nothing to do with prison.  Should have maybe been more clear.

The train itself is a prison. The prisoners escape from one prison only to find themselves trapped in another.

The train is an allegory, or a metaphor, or something.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The train itself is a prison. The prisoners escape from one prison only to find themselves trapped in another.

The train is an allegory, or a metaphor, or something.

Or  a red herring.  Metaphors, allegories ?  It's a prison movie we don't need no eh-stinking metaphors or allegories.