Cosmi Opts Out for the Rest of the Season

Harrison Stafford

This isn't the military where he's signing up to give his life away. He signed the scholarship and he gave way more during his time in that scholarship than pretty much anybody else on the team did from a value perspective. So now that it makes no sense to risk injury when you're about to be a high draft pick and make a few million dollars he's doing a smart thing. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chad said:

The team has had enough of Herman. Sam hates his guts and Cosmi isn't risking his future for some third tier bowl against a shitty 5-5 ACC team in the Camping World bowl.

Not sure a bowl game even makes sense this Covid season unless its a NY6 or CFP Playoff game.

Unless new Head Coach wants them to play...

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

This jeopardizes our shot at a Texas Bowl victory 

55 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure a bowl game even makes sense this Covid season unless its a NY6 or CFP Playoff game.

Unless new Head Coach wants them to play...

Both of these are true.  However, you know under Herman, Kansas is our bowl game!  I think we have a reasonably good chance of beating them, because you know, they'll get our best shot.

This is weird year folks.  Let's be honest, no more home games, no chance to do much beyond play your last two college games.  You weigh that versus preparing for your future work?

Wish these kids could have all had a better year from so many different perspectives.  Good luck Sam.

You can call it opting out. I’m still going to call it quitting. 

This is some laughable virtue signaling nonsense and you should opt out of posting.

Cosmi has put in years of work for this program. He could have left last year and gone in the first or second round but decided to return to play for a championship. There’s nothing left for him to play for, be it team success or individual. The team’s status is cemented as an also ran, and the only possible change to his draft stock world be a significant slide due to major injury. There’s no reason to take that risk. Letting young guys get his snaps is best for the program at this point too.
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Well we have 2 regular season games left and I’d be surprised if bowl games weren’t played for revenue purposes. 
I would like to see how the tier 2 and 3 bowls play out. In regular years the bowls require schools to buy x amount of tickets. A lot of teams take the L in revenues. They better adjust that this year.

I'm mentally prepping myself to basically see two orange and white games with tons of true Freshmen and walkon's playing, so at least it will be cool seeing some new names and numbers. The big difference is it won't be spring, neither will be at DRK, Cambell-Williams, and there wont be an orange team.

Of course thats assuming Miss Rona will allow even one exhibition game. *sighs*

5 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Meh. Nothing in the scholarship these guys signed said anything about a global pandemic and everything they’d have to deal with this year to give us a few months of free entertainment. Cut them some slack at least for a year. 

Do you feel the same way about the coaching staff?

Cosmi_5F1A8441.jpg?width=768&height=460&

11.29.2020 | Football

Cosmi declares for NFL Draft

Texas junior offensive lineman Samuel Cosmi will forgo the remainder of the 2020 season, along with his senior season, and enter the NFL Draft.

AUSTIN, Texas – Texas junior offensive lineman Samuel Cosmi will forgo the remainder of the 2020 season, along with his senior season, and enter the NFL Draft, he announced Sunday.

Statement from Samuel Cosmi:
"First and foremost, I want to thank God for my journey here at The University of Texas. It's been an amazing experience and a true blessing. It was an extremely difficult decision, but after talking with my family, I feel that it's in my best interest to forgo the remainder of the season. My goal is to prepare for the NFL Draft and work towards that dream of mine. I want to thank everyone at the University, especially Coach Herman, Coach Hand and Coach McKnight, and all who have had a part in my journey. I wouldn't be here and have had the success I've had if it weren't for them. Coming in as a young skinny lineman who started out on the scout team and ending up where I am now is a true testament to God, this program, and everyone who has helped me become the man I am today. I'm so incredibly grateful for the support of my teammates. I love them all and will be forever thankful for them. The bonds we've created go way beyond football and will last a lifetime. Most of all, I want to thank my family, who have been my biggest supporters. They've been my rock through it all. I'm so blessed to have them in my life. I am planning on finishing my degree this semester, as well as preparing for the draft, and I'll be supporting the guys as they finish the season. Thank you to all of Longhorn Nation. I'm going to bleed Burnt Orange for the rest of my life! Hook 'em!" 

Cosmi, who has been entrenched as one of Texas' starting linemen since the beginning of his redshirt freshman season in 2018, has appeared in all 35 possible games for the Longhorns, while starting at one of the tackle spots in each of UT's last 34 outings. In 2020, he has been recognized as a Preseason All-American by the Walter Camp Football Foundation and the Associated Press, among others, in addition to being a watch list candidate for the Outland Trophy. Cosmi was also a unanimous Preseason All-Big 12 selection. Cosmi has led the team this season in total first down/TD blocks, total knockdown blocks and total intimidation/dominant blocks, and entering his final game had only allowed one QB hit, one TFL and one sack. As a sophomore, Cosmi earned second-team All-Big 12 honors and was honorable mention for the Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the Year. He earned All-Bowl recognition from the Associated Press and ESPN following his impressive performance in the Alamo Bowl against Utah's vaunted defense. The Humble, Texas native was a USA Today Freshman All-American in 2018.

https://texassports.com/news/2020/11/29/football-cosmi-declares-for-nfl-draft.aspx

1 hour ago, JohnLocke said:

I doubt if Cosmi upped his draft stock with this move. 

Of course he didn’t. It also will stay the same and he will take no chance of having it go way down due to an injury. I can’t believe we have any Longhorn fans even questioning this decision, much less getting pissed about it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

Of course he didn’t. It also will stay the same and he will take no chance of having it go way down due to an injury. I can’t believe we have any Longhorn fans even questioning this decision, much less getting pissed about it.

Some of us are still kind of stuck with the notion that D1 football is just bigger, more talented hs football, with school pride and loyalty and love of the game and all that being the number one motivator of the players, and, conversely, that it isn't a bigass, mercenary business like the NFL.

Of course, we should have been pretty solidly disabused of that notion about 15 years ago with VY, and also with TJ in basketball, if not earlier.  Some of us are stubborn fucks, though.  I still struggle a bit with the "business decisions."  Head gets them, heart doesn't.

Of course, my give a fuck about any of it is about as broken as it's ever been, so there's that.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I doubt if Cosmi upped his draft stock with this move. 

He didn’t need to, he is already a consensus first rounder. The only thing that could come from playing is it taking a nose dive due to a major injury. Nothing happening in an exhibition vs Kansas State would materially improve his prospects.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Some of us are still kind of stuck with the notion that D1 football is just bigger, more talented hs football, with school pride and loyalty and love of the game and all that being the number one motivator of the players, and, conversely, that it isn't a bigass, mercenary business like the NFL.

Of course, we should have been pretty solidly disabused of that notion about 15 years ago with VY, and also with TJ in basketball, if not earlier.  Some of us are stubborn fucks, though.  I still struggle a bit with the "business decisions."  Head gets them, heart doesn't.

Of course, my give a fuck about any of it is about as broken as it's ever been, so there's that.

it will certainly be interesting to see how this enterprise works as more and more fans part with the illusions that they grew up with

that's only one of several non-COVID problems with the sport right now, but it's certainly on the Mount Rushmore of its problems

• Hook 'Em 1

I can’t imagine why you’d play for that assfuck mattress stain out of some idea of loyalty.  He tries to get QB1 killed everytime his brilliant decision making puts the team in an unnecessary hole.  He would not blink at doing the same or worse to any player if it gave him a chance to spend another Monday PC twirling his water bottle and telling us winning is hard. 

I get the idea of loyalty to Texas but at some point they gotta run that fraud outta town, and I certainly wouldn’t risk my health and livelihood holding him above water while he furiously bails water into the leaking boat.  

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

So, just as an aside....if I were to “boo the players” for playing like shit, that’s now “on limits” since the whole “hey, they’re just kids out there doing their best” thing is ancient history?

This really is the logical end point of my post.  When it's fully realized that this is about 80-90% business and business decisions and the student-athlete is a myth, then the student-athletes stop getting much benefit of the doubt.