Cosmi Opts Out for the Rest of the Season

Harrison Stafford

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

I wonder how supportive everyone will be when UT plays for a big time bowl or conference championship and one of our stars opt out.

I don’t see that happening. That could really hurt draft stock. I think the NFL gives guys a pass in a situation like this but would call into question competitiveness in the situation you are describing. 

Seriously, how many stars opt out for a CCG, or a playoff, or NC game?  None.  Those are OBVIOUS team goals that translate into personal goals.

Willis McGahee went from top 5 pick to 23rd after his knee injury in the 2003 MNC game.

Does anyone know NFL prospects still take out injury insurance policies?

Edited by BearSchlong

I wonder how supportive everyone will be when UT plays for a big time bowl or conference championship and one of our stars opt out.

People would probably say the same thing when players everywhere else do it. Even NY6 games are exhibitions and if a player has nothing to gain from playing I wouldn’t blame them for opting out. Many feel they do have something to gain if they can put up good tape against high level competition or want to get a W in a major bowl, and that’s great too. Aside from an actual playoff game though, I’d never blame someone with draft potential for opting out of a bowl game.

I haven’t seen anyone opt out of a championship or a playoff game, that’d be a different story and it’d also be a very bad look they’d have to answer for in the interview process.

It's not like this is a slippery slope.  The trend starts and stops with what the NFL allows.  They clearly don't care much about Alamo Bowl or vs Kansas film, but I bet they'd care about big time games.  Good tape against other elite players definitely helps your draft stock, and outside of maybe consensus top QB opting out of those games would be a major red flag.  The NFL isn't charading around as an amateur production like college football, so they are better equipped for their players making business decisions, but they don't like it either.

i do not understand any criticism of these kids making business decisions. some of yall act like college football isn't a business. it's a fucking huge business, and it makes billions on the backs of these kids making business decisions. oh, sure, they get food, board, and a scholarship, but that's a pittance compared to the money they bring in. if they are good enough for the league, and are this close to generational money, man, once the season is effectively over, they should fucking shut it down. it would be irresponsible not to do so. 

if you were on the college chess club, and microsoft offered you millions for some app, you aren't finishing college either. ask steve jobs or bill gates. opportunity knocks, you open the fucking door. you don't stay inside jerking off.

go make your money, kid.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i do not understand any criticism of these kids making business decisions. some of yall act like college football isn't a business. it's a fucking huge business, and it makes billions on the backs of these kids making business decisions. oh, sure, they get food, board, and a scholarship, but that's a pittance compared to the money they bring in. if they are good enough for the league, and are this close to generational money, man, once the season is effectively over, they should fucking shut it down. it would be irresponsible not to do so. 

if you were on the college chess club, and microsoft offered you millions for some app, you aren't finishing college either. ask steve jobs or bill gates. opportunity knocks, you open the fucking door. you don't stay inside jerking off.

go make your money, kid.

He could be battling all kinds of smaller injuries that diminish his capacity, but are not enough to sideline him.  Let him rest up and prepare for the combine.  Wish him the best.  

People would probably say the same thing when players everywhere else do it. Even NY6 games are exhibitions and if a player has nothing to gain from playing I wouldn’t blame them for opting out. Many feel they do have something to gain if they can put up good tape against high level competition or want to get a W in a major bowl, and that’s great too. Aside from an actual playoff game though, I’d never blame someone with draft potential for opting out of a bowl game.

I haven’t seen anyone opt out of a championship or a playoff game, that’d be a different story and it’d also be a very bad look they’d have to answer for in the interview process.

Didn’t Nick Bosa opt out in 2018? They were Big 10 champs and win the Rose Bowl to finish number 3.

He had been injured but doctors said he was good to go to play.

I don’t like it in normal years when guys do this, even when it’s just the bowl game.   Being part of a team and having teammates and coaches count on you should mean you uphold your end of the bargain, just like in any other job.  It’s not even a “amateur athletics and school spirit are sacred!” thing as much as just basic responsibility.
However, I don’t blame anyone for opting out in this Covid year, even if that’s probably not the main motivation.  Some guys sat out the whole year.   Everyone gets a free year of eligibility.  People are told they can’t even gather indoors in groups and we have stay at home orders in some places, but at the same time we demand Cosmi flies to Kansas twice to play in football games that are now basically irrelevant for our team goals?  
He’s supposed to risk injury or illness and jeopardize a multimillion dollar payday when non-athletes can get away with working remotely, saying they need groceries brought out curbside because it’s too risky to go into the store, and even literally quarantining?  Just because he’s a football player on the team we like (and an unpaid one at that)?  

Absolutely this. Especially since this is not a normal year. Practically the whole season is one big exhibition year, not even counting against your eligibility.

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

If I remember correctly, he left when they were undefeated and didn’t return for the big 10 championship game or the rose bowl

I stand corrected. Quick google shows he was out "indefinitely" when he had surgery. No idea if/when he would've made it back. That's a bit different than opting out in the end the way Cosmi is though. Also, worth noting that Bosa is the kind of prospect that could've killed someone and gone top 5.

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Smart and selfish. Sometimes it's OK to be selfish, but don't be suprised when you're criticized for it.

I'd say the people criticizing him expecting him to risk millions to play meaningless games after the team already lost the chance to play for a conference title are the selfish ones. 

Herman already made his millions and will never have to slave away at a real soul-sucking job in his life. Cosmi hasn't yet but I'm sure he wants to. 

• Hook 'Em 2

That's why Cosmi was smart to opt out once there was nothing to play for. That could be him right now throwing away a ton of money

But what you fail to understand is that overweight, middle aged men who are so tough that they pay for someone else to mow their lawn really wanted to see him give one more week of unpaid labor in a meaningless game in a meaningless season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 9 months later...