What superstitions do you have?

BrazilHorn

I have a couple:

1) Every holiday season for the past 25 years or so I have had to have the Anchor Holiday Beer. I don't how I got started on this but for some reason I have in my head that I need to imbibe this at some point during holiday season: Thanksgiving to Christmas in order to have good luck in the upcoming new year.

2) I will not complete the sentence that starts with: "By the pricking of my thumbs...." I read that Stephen King book as a kid and I guess it jacked me up.

I realize that neither of these are rational but they are both two that I have set in my mind.

How about you mofos? What weird superstitious quirks do you have?

27 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I have a couple:

1) Every holiday season for the past 25 years or so I have had to have the Anchor Holiday Beer. I don't how I got started on this but for some reason I have in my head that I need to imbibe this at some point during holiday season: Thanksgiving to Christmas in order to have good luck in the upcoming new year.

2) I will not complete the sentence that starts with: "By the pricking of my thumbs...." I read that Stephen King book as a kid and I guess it jacked me up.

I realize that neither of these are rational but they are both two that I have set in my mind.

How about you mofos? What weird superstitious quirks do you have?

Anchor Christmas is a great freakin’ beer. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Volume on car stereo/TV/Home Theatre has to be an odd number.

My EDC includes a "scrip" coin that my grandfather gave me; from the  "company" that put many of my relatives in the ground and buried two great uncles in a mine collapse. On one occasion, I drove two hours round trip from the airport after realizing that I had left home whiteout it.

I don't wear anything blue on the week of the Michigan Game, and I never eat blue M&Ms.

So, not superstitious... just a little stitious.

38 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

wait, you count your claps/

Yeah, it's a thread called "strange superstitions", shit like this is gonna come up.  When there's lot's of applause, I can't hear anything else anyway so my brain just subconsciously counts my claps and the applause is dying down and about to end, I just "get a number" and either stop if it's odd or add one more clap if it's even. 

Maybe it's gonna away since Covid-19 since I haven't clapped for anything in about a year.  Will we still applaud after pandemic is over?  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, it's a thread called "strange superstitions", shit like this is gonna come up.  When there's lot's of applause, I can't hear anything else anyway so my brain just subconsciously counts my claps and the applause is dying down and about to end, I just "get a number" and either stop if it's odd or add one more clap if it's even. 

Maybe it's gonna away since Covid-19 since I haven't clapped for anything in about a year.  Will we still applaud after pandemic is over?  

Didn't think it was weird as much as challenging.  

My weird superstition is putting a thumb drive of my mom's memorial service picture montage on my motorcycle fobs; feels like having a guardian angel w/ me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Didn't think it was weird as much as challenging.  

My weird superstition is putting a thumb drive of my mom's memorial service picture montage on my motorcycle fobs; feels like having a guardian angel w/ me. 

Oh, it's weird; just a worthless thing my brain can do.  Luckily for me in middle age, my clapping is slower and more condescending..  So it's easier to count.   

Actually, realized I have one.  It harkens back to listening to the classic rock station in high school all the time, including on drives out for early morning duck and goose hunts.  If I hear Carry on my Wayward Son and La Grange on the way to go hunting or fishing, we're gonna get some birds/fish.  One or the other helps, but both - that's a stone-cold lock for a good hunt.

I count subconsciously and then consciously end on an odd number as the applause is dying down, as a superstition.  You know...like the thread title suggests.  It’s weird because in most other walks of life, I prefer even numbers.  Probably just a finance thing.  Dunno. 

Well played Judge Smails

proof of the subtle comedic genius of Ted Knight.  When Lou asks him, for the purposes of who will tee off first, “I have a number of tees in my hand your honor.  Odd or even?”  But Ted’s intonation and facial expression...when he says “Odd”, he is saying that it thinks it’s strange that Lou is walking around with a bunch of golf tees in his hand.  So many beautiful moments brought to us by Ted Knight.  RIP.  

Well that's just odd.  Consider the 'Harmon Kardon Spinal Tap' audio upgrade in your next vehicle.  The stereo stops at 11.  But that's all you fucking need baby.