TEXAS vs. Davidson ESPN2 11am

SDG

jesus christ is he is the absolute worst. why so many are so in love with him is a total mystery. they tried to do a piece on Kai Jones during the game, only Walton would not STFU and kept shouting over the guy who was trying to actually narrate the piece. ESPN is displaying a graphic that the i mother guy is trying to go through to give some back story on Kai Jones, and when he says, "he grew up in a house with 7 siblings", Walton interrupts him to ask, "Did you grow up in a house?" and people love this guy. gtfo.

Years ago he would mostly stick to the game but throw in a few cool hippie comments and it was endearing. Then he became a caricature of himself and ruined it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

18 assists to 9 turnovers is great. Kai Jones was 4-4 fg including 2-2 from 3. But I’m still not confident in this team.

Kai Jones gives me a faint glimmer of hope.  The guy would be all world and a complete match up nightmare at Kansas.

TO's will increase as the teams we play start to have better athletes but yes 18 to 9 is great.  will see where this goes.

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Years ago he would mostly stick to the game but throw in a few cool hippie comments and it was endearing. Then he became a caricature of himself and ruined it.

I think he also felt the 11AM weekday game probably gave him the license to completely ignore the game.

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think he also felt the 11AM weekday game probably gave him the license to completely ignore the game.

He’s doing the same thing in the current game. Working from home with his partner in Chicago, and the Maui invitational taking place in North Carolina might have him taking his duties less seriously. 
he probably has a diffuser with cbd oil going somewhere in his office, and a plate of edibles on his computer desk just off camera. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s doing the same thing in the current game. Working from home with his partner in Chicago, and the Maui invitational taking place in North Carolina might have him taking his duties less seriously. 
he probably has a diffuser with cbd oil going somewhere in his office, and a plate of edibles on his computer desk just off camera. 

yep. he wouldn't totally ignore the game if it were a prime time conference game. he thinks he is the show. To be clear, I really don't mind it when its bits and pieces but not letting the PBP call the game at all is bullshit. 

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is that wrong? 

I'm going to need more than a 2 game sample to make a decision.

Game 1 they actually looked like a real team.  Grated it was against UTRGV, but 41 % behind the arc was good to see given their shitty shooting over the previous years.

This team has crazy athleticism, they need to use it more.  You see flashes.

It's basically a similar start to the football team.  Looked good against UTEP...made plays, offense looked good, Defense tackled well.  

Then they played Tech and reverted.

I hopeful but would not be surprised if they finished around .500

• Hook 'Em 1

i'm hopeful based on what i've seen, and i was encouraged by today's performance. after letting Davidson start the game 10-13 from the field we pretty much outclassed them for the next 30 minutes. and yes, Davidson did get back into the game, but we showed resilience and held them off. yes, we took some stupid-ass shots down the stretch that were reminiscent of end-game decisions form years past, but we held on and we won. we also tried to get out at a faster pace and we've placed a new and much needed emphasis on offensive rebounding. i really enjoyed the game today.

also, while we probably will finish somewhere between 3rd-5th in the league, and are unlikely to be consistent enough to stay in the top 15 or maybe even 20, our size and athleticism means that we should be a tough out come tourney time. if we are actually hitting shots, then shit, the S16 and E8 are legit possibilities.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

I'm going to need more than a 2 game sample to make a decision.

Game 1 they actually looked like a real team.  Grated it was against UTRGV, but 41 % behind the arc was good to see given their shitty shooting over the previous years.

This team has crazy athleticism, they need to use it more.  You see flashes.

It's basically a similar start to the football team.  Looked good against UTEP...made plays, offense looked good, Defense tackled well.  

Then they played Tech and reverted.

I hopeful but would not be surprised if they finished around .500

Agree.  Without looking at the score, it felt like the team had to be up by 15+.  Every position on the TX looked better (in theory) than Davidson, yet, here's Davidson with a chance to win at the end.  It was weird.

Sims has never been able to play without fouling, and you're reminding me that Davidson made it a point to go after Sims at times, including the beginning of each half, and it seemed to work. The refs were blowing a whistle on damn near every Davidson drive early on, and we ended up with three guys in foul trouble in the end. Some of it isn't even Sims' fault, but i still wish he could find a way to play more minutes without getting so many foul calls against him.

Intrigued for once in a long time to see us play tomorrow v. Indiana.  They looked good against Providence today.  12:30p liquid lunch tip-off.  Too bad I gotta work and it's probably not outside drinking weather for this game.  

25 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Sweet 16 or elite 8? Haha damn it I love the derka derka bar he sets. I need your optimism man. 

i've said from the beginning that this team is one that would be a FF contender with the right coach.

On 4/24/2020 at 5:56 PM, Goo Punch said:

I'll say it right now: Roy Williams would win 25-30 games and go to the EE or Final Four with this roster. It's built for speed, and we may honestly have the most athletic lineup in America. Hamm, Sims, Kai Jones, Donovan Williams, and GB III is as athletic a fivesome as any team in country has, and that's not even considering that Andrew Jones was once a pretty damn athlete before cancer and chemo ravaged his body, so let's not count him all the way out of this list either. Shaka is an absolute moron if he doesn't run up and down like every game is a track meet with this team, and the days of Texas being painfully slow and low scoring *should* be a thing of the past, if only for one year. This is by far the best team Shaka Smart has ever coached. Anything less than a summarily satisfying season should result in his immediate termination. Good luck Shaka- you seriously shouldn't need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talent, size, experience, athleticism- we've got it. this is the best Texas team in a decade. If Shaka can get them into the tourney (please Lawd tell me this is a given), then we will be 4 or 5 seed that every 1 and 2 seed prays is in another bracket. This roster has super high potential, and will only be held back by coaching. As much as I hate it, this roster is so good that it's going to buy Shaka 2-3 more years at Texas, barring some miracle where we make a deep run this year and Shaka bolts for some other school that's stupid enough to want him. So with that said, I'm going to try and enjoy this year as much as I possibly can, and based on what I've seen through two games I do have optimism. Do i think we actually will make the Sweet 16? lol, no.  it is it plausible? absolutely. 

• Like 1

This roster with Roy Williams, Mark Few, or Bill Self? 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29g9cnhlcck4qy3qr1w0

top 10 team in the country no doubt, with top 5 potential. i'll give it to Shaka- he's assembled one helluva roster this year. if he fails to make it to the S16 with this group then he doesn't deserve another college coaching gig. not even at the NAIA level. 

• Like 1

Kai Jones was the big most affected by foul trouble today. He may have played 4 minutes max in the 1st half. He ultimately only got 18 minutes for the game. And despite a rough start from the refs, Sims actually logged 34 minutes and only 3 fouls. Donovan Williams (along with Baker) is the guy I was hoping would show demonstrable improvement over last year, but his knee surgery and eventual rehab prevented him from putting in much work this offseason.  Dude looked even skinnier than last year in the 1st game and didn't get in against Davidson. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

12 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Agree.  Without looking at the score, it felt like the team had to be up by 15+.  Every position on the TX looked better (in theory) than Davidson, yet, here's Davidson with a chance to win at the end.  It was weird.

Good Lord are you really saying this team should win a game by more than "X" number of points?

Get a fucking clue.

Unlike football, college basketball does not care if you win by 1 point or a 100.

It just don't make a shit.

After watching the first 2 games I will say that defensively the athleticism this team brings will give anyone they face trouble as long as they stay disciplined. With their range there's no reason to over help or trail cutters. If they keep everything in front of them and make folks have to play over the top, they're going to be a handful cause they should be monsters on the defensive glass with all the length they have there. The guards controlling dribble penetration is paramount as that will keep those bigs out of foul trouble and on the court for that rim protection. But that goes for Kai, GB3 & Sims as well. When they get out on the perimeter there's no reason for them to be overly aggressive, just let those littles try to shoot over you and if they try to drive use that length and athleticism to stem their penetration. No reason their feet should ever get outside the arc imo.

Offense is stll basic as we still don't run any semblance of a set. Just pick & rolls with a few dribble handoffs mixed in. I'd like to see them set a rule that the majority of 3s should come off catch and shoot opportunities. There's almost no reason for them to dribble into a 3. And if they drive with the intent on looking for cutting bigs, that in essence should be the focus of our offense. Catch it on the perimeter and if they close out too hard use that quickness to get into the paint. But not to force a finish, but rather force the D to collapse and hit one of those uber athletic bigs with rim cuts. Cause those guys CAN FINISH and score OVER just about anyone (bare in mind they will get fouled so hopefully they improve there. Sims FT stroke looks a lot better). But i'll be honest with you, throwing the ball to Sims or Kai in spots where they have to create shots for themselves other than a 1 dribble finish is a liability imo. They are not throw it into the post and let them work kind of bigs. They're more finishers to me. Granted i din't include GB in that as i've yet to see him get it in the post and try to work to get a shot. I did see him cut off a screen into the lane and get a beautiful AND-1. That kind of cutting action is gonna be deadly with him. 

Looking forward to see this team develop. As many have mentioned, there's talent size and athleticism galore. Excited to see where it all ends up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Good Lord are you really saying this team should win a game by more than "X" number of points?

Get a fucking clue.

Unlike football, college basketball does not care if you win by 1 point or a 100.

It just don't make a shit.

I teach reading comprehension to 1st graders.  I'm sure I could fit you in.

My point is that it one team looked far better than the other.  If I had turned it on midway through the 2nd half and had the score covered, I would have assumed Texas was up by quite a bit.  I'm perfectly fine with 1 or 100 point wins.  It was an observation, not a complaint.