'I don't wish either of them well': The demise of the Southwest Conference, 25 years later

Don Johnson

15 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That is a myth, right up alongside the idea that Bob Bullock told the University of Texas "YOU BETTER TAKE BAYLOR OR YOU WON'T GET ANY MONEY!" and our reaction was anything other than "we'll see you in court". 

That article is 90% horseshit. 

Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story.

Fuck Arkansas. Fuck Baylor.  I loved the Pony Express and SMU, but Craig James turned out to be a complete bitch, eh?

I enjoyed the Big XII of the 2000's.

Glad not to have anything to do with A&M any more.  I liked playing Colorado and Nebraska. WGAF about Mizzou?

Edited by slorch

30 minutes ago, slorch said:

Glad not to have anything to do with A&M any more. 

which is too bad, because the A&M-Tech series was one of the highlights of the season from about 1995 until Leach was shitcanned

The 59-28 win over Franchione's bunch was so disappointing because (as I recall) going in there was legitimate hope that Leach would try to run up 80+ on those sorry bastards. I really thought he'd do it.

14 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I mean, they were cheating in college football.  It's not like they were chuckling about assaulting people.

Having had no dog in the fight, it was hard for me to be "mad" at SMU about anything.  The whole scenario is inherently absurd and comical.

This.  SMU got what was coming to them.  Think about this for a minute.....they lost 45 scholarships over two seasons....and that was the lighter of the two probations they received.

People act like USC got hammered recently with 30 over 3.

The death penalty was 30+ years ago.  It ended terribly.  There's nothing to do but laugh about it in retrospect.  That's how pretty much everyone talks about what happened.  Its like a rock band detailing their excesses even though you know it ended in disaster.  Its still funny to talk about.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Fuck Arkansas. Fuck Baylor.  I loved the Pony Express and SMU, but Craig James turned out to be a complete bitch, eh?

Glad not to have anything to do with A&M any more.  I liked playing Colorado and Nebraska. WGAF about Mizzou?

I mean, we had a fucking trophy game with Mizzou and don't really care about them.  I disliked them, but not the way I dislike KSU in football or KU in basketball.

That said, I still wish the Big 8 was all together inside of the same conference.  I really had no issue with the original Big 12 as it made more sense for the Texas public schools to pair up with the other Plains states schools than it did for them to go to the West Coast or Southeast.  It was an entertaining conference, and every outlier, save for CU, was at least close to the other schools in their division.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

Fuck Bob Bullock and his threats. 

Bullock summoned Texas and Texas A&M's presidents to his office in early 1994 as the merger neared. "You're taking Tech and Baylor, or you're not taking anything," Bullock told them. "I'll cut your money off, and you can join privately if you want, but you won't get another nickel of state money."

Besides Ann Richards, Bob is the main reason Baylor was included. #BlameBob or #BlameBullock

• Like 1

9 hours ago, slorch said:

Nobody in the SEC cares about them.  They've won 2 division titles and they are still an afterthought.

It was glorious in the day growing up listening to Kern Tipps and Connie Alexander broadcast the SWC games over the Humble radio network. But the end came when it should have and with the money driven budgets, it was the big dogs got fed while the others starved.  Good article.

When I was a kid I was at an A&M booster's house, playing football with his son, when a guy came over to pick up an envelope.  Before leaving, he threw a few passes to me and my buddy.  The Aggy starting QB, IIRC. Might have been Kevin Murray.  Was driving a new Monte Carlo. Wikipedia says he arrived in CS in fall '83 which fits the timeline perfectly.

I was the 8th out of 13 BU grads in my family, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that in the 80s there were BU players on the payroll at our family's business. Sometimes they worked.

On more than one occasion I sat in the back seat of my uncle's suburban while he drove Grant Teaff around to visit recruits and boosters before dropping him off back at the airport.  Of course all this stuff happened when I was 9 or 10 so I don't remember names.

Edited by BearSchlong

I believe the ten team conference with no conference champ should be the model.  Play a round robin so teams like NU and OU play every year.  Should have been these ten teams and it would have been a damn good conference

OU, Texas, Nebraska, A&M, Colorado, Kansas, Okie State, Texas Tech, Iowa State, and Missouri.

No Baylor.  No KSU.

14 or 16 conferences are just stupid.  A&M gets a home game against Florida, Georgia and Tennessee once every 12 years.

26 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I believe the ten team conference with no conference champ should be the model.  Play a round robin so teams like NU and OU play every year.  Should have been these ten teams and it would have been a damn good conference

OU, Texas, Nebraska, A&M, Colorado, Kansas, Okie State, Texas Tech, Iowa State, and Missouri.

No Baylor.  No KSU.

14 or 16 conferences are just stupid.  A&M gets a home game against Florida, Georgia and Tennessee once every 12 years.

I'd like to see KSU in, but otherwise this is very solid.  Academically very solid as well.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

No Baylor.  No KSU.

replace ISU with arkansas and that would be solid.  

There's a conference realignment thread for that.

Sure Baylor got in because of politics, but LHN is what broke up the B12.  Unpopular idea around these parts but it's true.

SWC wasn't sustainable but it sure was a heck of a lot of fun while it lasted.  Slept on many a buddy's couches in Austin, CS, Houston, and Dallas.

Edited by BearSchlong