Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe Revelation (Netflix)

MillerEP

12 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

That’s the Netflix shera on the right “looking” at the poster, but who is on the left?

Thinking from their Voltron series.

BTW the Shera show, while definitely very "kiddy" and light in earlier season, was way fucking deeper towards the end than it should have been. Actually a pretty good series if you in to animation like that.

And this looks like it has a chance. REALLY good voice cast.  Especially the villains(isn't that always the case though?).

19 minutes ago, Drew said:

Thinking from their Voltron series.

BTW the Shera show, while definitely very "kiddy" and light in earlier season, was way fucking deeper towards the end than it should have been. Actually a pretty good series if you in to animation like that.

And this looks like it has a chance. REALLY good voice cast.  Especially the villains(isn't that always the case though?).

Yeah, it was something started with the 4 and 6 year old at the time. It probably went right over their heads, but by the end it seemed a little too mature for them 

Edit - so are they planning some combined animated universe?

Edited by UT_OB1

On 12/3/2020 at 12:20 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Yeah, it was something started with the 4 and 6 year old at the time. It probably went right over their heads, but by the end it seemed a little too mature for them 

Edit - so are they planning some combined animated universe?

Don't think so, even though it would make sense to do so.

But She-Ra had NOTHING in common with prior versions or with the Greyskull universe.

I always liked the short scenes on Robot Chicken.

Frat dude talking to Skeletor: Man, you're always grinnin

Skeletor: I'm not grinning, i'm fuuuuuurious

Frat dude: Nah man, you grinnin

Then at the end of the show he's still trying to make that loan payment

Bank guy: Looks like you're not gonna make that payment in time

Skeletor: yeah i have a solution for that (undoing his clothes)

Bank guy: Mr. Skeletor!!!! What are you doing? *whispers* close the door.

as the door closes 

Bank guy: No teeth alright?

Skeletor: Yeah, good luck with that 

• 6 months later...
19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

HOLY FUCK THEY NAILED THE PERFECT 80S MUSIC.

Now back to the trailer.

I've watched the trailer 3 times.  Can't wait. 

Only issue is "I have the power" seems a little lacking.

I was a He-Man, Voltron and Transformers kid growing up now I get to show this to my kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Add Thundercats, TMNT and  we got a stew going. 

Well, right around the time this is dropping, there will be a G I Joe Snake Eyes movie hitting theaters….

Also, they’ve been quietly putting Masters of the Universe retro toys in the stores (and Joe toys at Walmart but fucking ebayers keep buying them up).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Add Thundercats, TMNT and  we got a stew going. 

Fuck all that. Give me a Robotech reboot that doesn't have a bunch of stories about Minmay. Throw in a Starblazers reboot while you're at it. 

A G I Joe reboot where Cobra guys don't just jump out of aircraft or tanks when they're about to blow up would also be nice. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Fuck all that. Give me a Robotech reboot that doesn't have a bunch of stories about Minmay. Throw in a Starblazers reboot while you're at it. 

A G I Joe reboot where Cobra guys don't just jump out of aircraft or tanks when they're about to blow up would also be nice. 

Old....er

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Old....er

Those shows and the ones you want were separated by maybe 3 years. I saw them all. Starblazers was the outlier as it ran from 1979-1984 but I dont' think it hit our shores until the 80s. 

Edited by mdmost

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

or

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

This guy fucks....Robotech was what Transformers needed to be...

• Hook 'Em 2

I love how the trailer doesn't have any of the scenes that everyone is up in arms about on social media(the anti woke folks at least).

Apparently the storyline takes place after He-Man and his friends have gone their separate ways and it's up to Teela to get them all back together, because of course it is.  They also spurce up her and other females outfits to fit more modern time(meaning less revealing).

Based on that trailer alone this should be awesome.  I'm hoping that's what we get, and not a forced fed Female led narrative that I keep seeing people whining about(ala Star Wars)

GI Joe, He-Man, TMNT and all that was way after my time and honestly I hated them because the animation was shit. But, I respect the fanbase because they honestly didn't know any better. KS will do right by them.

On 6/12/2021 at 1:42 PM, freyguy said:

This guy fucks....Robotech was what Transformers needed to be...

Robotech was the best of them all.  Well done, three part story arc with adult concepts thrown in.  Doubt it would get made today, in all honesty.  But yes, Minmay was a whip.

In this latest He-Man, does he finally come out?  (Not that there is anything wrong with that....)

So I decided to show my son a few episodes of the original, because he was mildly interested after I showed him the trailer.

Holy shit the original was bad.  Like painful to watch.

I mean, as a kid I was vaguely aware that it existed to sell toys, and I've seen the documentaries on Netflix (Toys that made us, Power of Grayskull), but damn.

Animated GIF

I can sit through the 1980s G I Joe cartoons with my kid, but he and I were both ready to bail on 1980s Masters of the Universe.

I'm afraid to watch some of the other shows I really liked as a kid.

So I decided to show my son a few episodes of the original, because he was mildly interested after I showed him the trailer.
Holy shit the original was bad.  Like painful to watch.
I mean, as a kid I was vaguely aware that it existed to sell toys, and I've seen the documentaries on Netflix (Toys that made us, Power of Grayskull), but damn.
200.gif
I can sit through the 1980s G I Joe cartoons with my kid, but he and I were both ready to bail on 1980s Masters of the Universe.
I'm afraid to watch some of the other shows I really liked as a kid.

Transformers was equally unwatchable as an adult.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Masters of the Universe is one of the best bad movies of the 1980’s. Great cast stuck in a hilariously bad movie. Courtney Cox in the Short Round role is just so odd. Also Dolph hadn’t learned to speak English yet and they didn’t bother to dub him in editing. 

The How Did This Get Made? podcast on this film is really funny. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m pretty unfamiliar with Netflix’s animation department. Do they have a tent pole franchise? It feels like they need a win here. 

Right now their tentpole is Castlevania and Blood of Zeus.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m pretty unfamiliar with Netflix’s animation department. Do they have a tent pole franchise? It feels like they need a win here. 

Why do you think that?

Ive watched more anime (or cartoons that come really close to it) than I’m comfortable admitting and had before. Not sure all belong to Netflix though. I’ve watched the 2 Miller mentioned, also watched am excited for (I mean my kids…) dragon prince season 4, along with She-Ra, which was pretty good (daughter loved it)

• Hook 'Em 1

Bojack Horseman, Disenchanted, Big Mouth, She-Ra, Castlevania, Trollhunters Tales of Arcadia, F is for Family, Voltrons, Wizards, and a bunch of others.  A lot of series that debuted on other networks/services, and Netflix picked them up for extra seasons.

Dreamworks has a massive agreement to pump out animated stuff for Netflix.

She-Ra and Castlevania are probably the biggies.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...

Second part dropped a day or 2 ago. E3 had some very sexual talk for a show with this young a rating. Lynn seduces skeleton, literally talks about sleeping with him, mounts him while he’s seated, and then some touching and “sword” talk. Thought I was going to have to have the birds and bees talk with my 7 yo. Very surprised at that scene. 

On 6/16/2021 at 1:51 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Bojack Horseman, Disenchanted, Big Mouth, She-Ra, Castlevania, Trollhunters Tales of Arcadia, F is for Family, Voltrons, Wizards, and a bunch of others.  A lot of series that debuted on other networks/services, and Netflix picked them up for extra seasons.

Dreamworks has a massive agreement to pump out animated stuff for Netflix.

She-Ra and Castlevania are probably the biggies.

Blood of Zeus good, and Dota was entertaining enough as well. 

Edited by UT_OB1

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Second part dropped a day or 2 ago. E3 had some very sexual talk for a show with this young a rating. Lynn seduces skeleton, literally talks about sleeping with him, mounts him while he’s seated, and then some touching and “sword” talk. Thought I was going to have to have the birds and bees talk with my 7 yo. Very surprised at that scene. 

Breathe Out Deep Breath GIF by Progressive