2020-21 Houston Rockets: Luv Ya Blue?

Slacks

Tomorrow is a big game. Winner wins the season series. Going to be harder without the tank commander, though Wood might also be out.

Also, go Bulls. Beating Miami would be a good thing tonight. Got to keep them in the play in games.

What is Detroit doing?

Minnesota up 2 on Utah with 18 seconds remaining as well.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Never mind so we only have our pick if it stays in top 4, Portland and Milwaukee swap? 

No. We get our pick 1-4, or the worst of the picks between us, OKC, and Miami. So if Miami makes the lottery, that is now our floor as opposed to the 18-22 range. We also have the Portland and Milwaukee picks.

So ideally we want Miami to lose and end up in the lottery. I think Portland's pick is protected through the lottery, so we want them and Milwaukee to lose early in the playoffs and for us to get the magic ping pong ball.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

We also have Detroit's 1st round pick but they are as bad as us, and it has pick protections for many years. It's likely not going to be conveyed.

Anything can happen down the stretch, but last night's loss to the Timberwolves likely cements our tank. We are going to have the worst record in the Association.

Edited by HtownHorn

On 4/27/2021 at 1:39 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

Never mind so we only have our pick if it stays in top 4, Portland and Milwaukee swap? 

basically what we want:

miami to lose out (won't happen, but we want them to finish as low as possible as a fail safe if the ping pong balls don't go our way).

portland to be the #8 seed in the west (their pick is lottery protected, so we want them in the playoffs, but as low as possible).

milwaukee to lose out (again, won't happen but we want them as low in the standings as possible due to the pick swap we have with them - our 2nd for their 1st).

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

basically what we want:

miami to lose out (won't happen, but we want them to finish as low as possible as a fail safe if the ping pong balls don't go our way).

portland to be the #8 seed in the west (their pick is lottery protected, so we want them in the playoffs, but as low as possible).

milwaukee to lose out (again, won't happen but we want them as low in the standings as possible due to the pick swap we have with them - our 2nd for their 1st).

I could be wrong here- but the teams in the playoffs don’t pick by record do they?  Don’t they pick by how far they advance?  With record being the tie break if they advance the same number of rounds?  So, Milwaukee doesn’t necessarily need to lose all its games so much as lose in the second round?  Portland in the first?  

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I could be wrong here- but the teams in the playoffs don’t pick by record do they?  Don’t they pick by how far they advance?  With record being the tie break if they advance the same number of rounds?  So, Milwaukee doesn’t necessarily need to lose all its games so much as lose in the second round?  Portland in the first?  

And after lots of googling I think I was indeed wrong and it’s just record. Must be the nfl only that does it the other way. 

I'd try to resign Olynyk. He may want more than the our broke owner will want to spend, but he's a valuable rotation player.

Too bad we have to pay the Tank Commander another $90M. I would tell him just to stay at home next year and develop the team around Porter, Tate, Wood, Wilson, Brooks, Martin, and 3 1st round picks.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Any better odds of falling no lower than #4 though?

No.  Odds are the same of falling out (and falling out means #5) at either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.  

3rd worst would be ideal since if they pick didn't convey that would give OKC the least likely chance of scoring pick #5 from us in what is supposed to be a 5 person draft.  But that doesn't look likely to happen at all.  Even still- going 5-2 or 4-3 to make a run at 3rd to last would be pretty ideal I think.  

Can someone explain to me “Dame time”? Like how does a superstar that leads his team to a 6-8 seed every year and loses in the first round get his dick sucked by everyone like he’s MJ? I don’t get it. The last few years he gets praised because he wins a couple of games in the playoffs and that’s it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Can someone explain to me “Dame time”? Like how does a superstar that leads his team to a 6-8 seed every year and loses in the first round get his dick sucked by everyone like he’s MJ? I don’t get it. The last few years he gets praised because he wins a couple of games in the playoffs and that’s it. 

I get what you're saying, but he has a penchant for hitting close/late shots to tie games or take the lead.

Since he came in the league in 2012, he has 37 go ahead/take the lead shots in the last :30.  Next closest is Westbrook at 29.

Leads the NBA in "clutch time" points (defined as last 5 min of a game within 5 points)

True shooting percentage in "clutch time" is 76.8%.  That includes 2's, 3's, and FT.

There have been, like, 4 walk-off, series winning shots in NBA playoff history...Dame has two of them. Granted, those were pretty much the only two series in his career that he played well in, but those are going to understandably earn him a lasting reputation. Not to mention his pension for regular season big shots as Tylerocks alluded to.

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

End of an era. When I first became a Rockets fan as a kid during the 86 Finals run, he was calling the games. Incredible career. The voice of Houston sports and legend. He doesn’t have the national reputation of Vin Scully but he was Htown’s version and universally beloved. 3 pointer the old fashioned way and other classic sayings. It won’t be the same watching Rockets home games.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

i like worrell, but man is he a fucking homer.  when it's annoying to me as a rockets fan i can't imagine how it sounds to a neutral or opposing fan.

my guess is he wasn't super excited about calling 2-3 more years of awful basketball so he decided to call it a career.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, aggie08 said:

There have been, like, 4 walk-off, series winning shots in NBA playoff history...Dame has two of them. Granted, those were pretty much the only two series in his career that he played well in, but those are going to understandably earn him a lasting reputation. Not to mention his pension for regular season big shots as Tylerocks alluded to.

Jordon over Ehlo, the 2 dame shots- what’s the other one?  

I guess my point is other than fuck the blazers is all those teams played in bigger games later on. Rockets made the finals, mj won 6 rings, the Sonics I guess didn’t do anything with that 1989 team? Dame hitting clutch time shots in the regular season to be a 7/8 seed is impressive though. Retract all my shitting on him. No I don’t. Can’t wait for more postseason dame time as they lose 4-2 in the first round. Again. Harden has done more and gets shit on and this dude gets his dick sucked for one round wins. 

17 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i like worrell, but man is he a fucking homer.  when it's annoying to me as a rockets fan i can't imagine how it sounds to a neutral or opposing fan.

my guess is he wasn't super excited about calling 2-3 more years of awful basketball so he decided to call it a career.

If you ever found Worrell annoying, you have never listened to the Spurs commentators.

Worrell loves his Rockets, yes, but he was always fair when commenting on the opposition and its players.

Bill is all class and he will be missed.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Any realistic chance we will be able to move Wall and Gordon for picks this off season? Would love to come into next year with just our future guys and not give minutes to older vet guys with massive contracts ts.

No chance with Wall. I am starting to see articles about buying him out, so that he can go play for a contender. They would want to stretch whatever buyout money could be agreed upon. I doubt Wall will play another game for the Rockets. Gordon might have some value, because it's likely his deal is for 2 more years ($37M), as there is no way he's getting the final year guaranteed with the current incentives attached to it.

I think we are looking at hopefully this for next year.

PG - Cunningham (1st pick in the draft), Augustin

SG - Porter Jr., Brooks

SF - Tate, Thomas, Oliver

PF - Martin Jr., Wilson

C - Wood, Olynyk

Plus two other 1st round draft picks.

Something like $63M in total salary, likely well below the team floor.

Edited by HtownHorn