Casting YT TV atva place with no internet

Reset: This is at a cabin with no internet. We have a TV out there, but it is a dumb TV. I have a chrome stick I can plug in.

What can I do to cast from a S10+ to the TV? Chromestick requires a network. Maybe get a cheap router even though there will be no internet, but use the phone as the connection via Hotspot? Need some suggestions.

Without going the router route, can you connect the Chromestick to a hotspot from your phone and stream it? I use a fire stick in my car for kids on road trips using my phone as the hotspot wifi network, works fine. Seems like would work the same. Eliminates the casting issues also. 

Edited by Lobwedgephil

21 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Without going the router route, can you connect the Chromestick to a hotspot from your phone and stream it? I use a fire stick in my car for kids on road trips using my phone as the hotspot wifi network, works fine. Seems like would work the same. Eliminates the casting issues also. 

chrome stick won't do that any time i've ever tried.  you need something else like a fire or roku stick and use phone as a hotspot.

edit: apparently, asus routers connected to the phone via usb can tether through the phone. it'll still use your data plan on the phone and it probably won't charge as much as a dedicated charger so your battery might die. 

Edited by elfenix

On 12/3/2020 at 8:06 PM, markstanco said:

Reset: This is at a cabin with no internet. We have a TV out there, but it is a dumb TV. I have a chrome stick I can plug in.

What can I do to cast from a S10+ to the TV? Chromestick requires a network. Maybe get a cheap router even though there will be no internet, but use the phone as the connection via Hotspot? Need some suggestions.

your answer is mirracast - just don't buy a shitty adapter. do some minor research

that said, you may be fucked because i am not 100% sure mirracast works.

other option is some kind of USB-c to HDMI cable that will then plug in the back and mirror your screen that way

just know you have to test it somewhere because YTTV and Netflix are screwy due to security/encryption

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

Simple- Go Drop a hair over $200 on a smart TV  in the 40 inch range.  Connect the TV to your phone hotspot and you will have whatever you want.  Plus with a new TV likely some sort of BS promotional of some extra channels.  Samsung has TV+ for a ton of extra channels, and I think Vizio has something similar with their own streaming built in.  Plus you have all the APPS on the TV preinstalled and you phone is just the hot spot, not casting.

The extra shit and easy setup will be worth the cost of the TV as well as the likely resolution improvement.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not sure how the router idea would work as you'd essentially need to connect a WiFi network (the hotspot) to another wifi network (the router).  

I'm sure it's possible, but maybe not on a cheap one.  

Whoever said the fire or Roku stick has the idea.  They are cheap and would connect directly to your phone's hotspot network.