Edinburg player hits ref after being ejected

Walte464

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t agree with the punishment at all. The kid is getting arrested and charged with assault. The players and coaches tried to stop him and break it up. They didn’t escalate the situation. Disqualifying the entire team seems like over kill. Hasn’t something similar happened in the NFL, or other sports? The player who committed the act and/or anyone that played a part in escalating the situation should get the fucking hammer. The others had absolutely nothing to do with it. Could you imagine if (insert hot head NFL player) got his entire team kicked out of the wild card round of the NFL playoffs? Yeah, me either.

And yea I realize the nfl is a bad example, but I don’t see why you punish the other kids that have worked their whole life for that opportunity. That’s fucking devastating for them, and it’s not their fault 

Saves them the embarrassment of getting drubbed next week without his 25 tackles and 2 sack a game average. 

Posted this on the HS thread in 9.95, but damn, this is some crappy copyediting.  “Instigate a physical confrontation,” lulz.  He did a bit more than instigate. Get it together, Monitor. 

an ugly on-field incident that saw the team’s star defensive player instigate a physical confrontation with a referee.

https://rgvsports.com/news/96708/edinburg-high-forfeits-playoff-spot-to-psja-high-following-ugly-on-field-incident/

18 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

It sucks for them but they're sending a message for ever coach and player now and to come later...

Fuck around and find out

How many times has this even happened over the course of thousands and thousands of high school football games. I would imagine the message is pretty clear. I imagine the message was pretty clear to everyone on that team except for that kid. Nobody needed to learn that lesson. Just seems like a gut wrenching way to end your season if you were just a regular hard working kid on that team who tried to deescalate. I think it’s horseshit. 

Agreed. Punishing the whole team who had zero to do with it is stupid. They didn't cheat as a team. Or get caught violating UIL rules to try and gain an edge. It was one single player. This shit is so uncommon, it made national news and spread like wildfire. I think every team knows the consequences of this and knows it is wrong. But them winning the game had nothing to do with this. He is being punished for it and will deal with the consequences. You have no control over players on a field when you on the sidelines. They can lash out at any time for whatever reason. It's not like tons of players were in on it with him.

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Agreed. Punishing the whole team who had zero to do with it is stupid. They didn't cheat as a team. Or get caught violating UIL rules to try and gain an edge. It was one single player. This shit is so uncommon, it made national news and spread like wildfire. I think every team knows the consequences of this and knows it is wrong. But them winning the game had nothing to do with this. He is being punished for it and will deal with the consequences. You have no control over players on a field when you on the sidelines. They can lash out at any time for whatever reason. It's not like tons of players were in on it with him.

Suspend the head coach for the rest of the playoffs if you feel like it’s his fault for having a loose cannon on the team. I guess I’m only looking at this from his teammates perspective, but I would have a really tough time coming to grips with that. Like I said, I’m sure there are plenty of people on that team want to fight this kid now. Is that really what you want? 

When Gomer Pyle fucked up and got all his buddies in trouble in Full Metal Jacket, the rest of the platoon beat the shit out of him one night to "discipline" him.  Of course, he killed the sergeant and himself, but he didn't screw up any more. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

TX HS football rules are the same as NCAA. TX and only one other state governs their HS rules, the same as NCAA, and I think the other is like Massachusetts. The later I could be wrong but it’s in the Northeast.

There are a “few” exceptions, like the KOs at the 40 vs 35, but they are minuscule in interpretation.

4 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Guy had a history that was ignored because FOOTBAWL! Punishment of the program is the correct move.

Sucks for the other kids, but I would be shocked if they were surprised by his action.  Hang with a hothead(or roid rager), you're gonna have a bad time.

I think there is some of this.  A player and a coach were right behind him the whole time trying to catch him before he got to the ref.  If he lost it without anyone having an inkling of what he was capable of, they would not have been pursuing him pretty much as soon as he made the decision to go back on the field.

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

TX HS football rules are the same as NCAA. TX and only one other state governs their HS rules, the same as NCAA, and I think the other is like Massachusetts. The later I could be wrong but it’s in the Northeast.

There are a “few” exceptions, like the KOs at the 40 vs 35, but they are minuscule in interpretation.

And no automatic disqualification for head to head contact.  

2 hours ago, bmbmd said:

When Gomer Pyle fucked up and got all his buddies in trouble in Full Metal Jacket, the rest of the platoon beat the shit out of him one night to "discipline" him.  Of course, he killed the sergeant and himself, but he didn't screw up any more. 

72847c1779fe50bd79fa1017d3658591.gif

will not be surprised at all to see the player end up like this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

God damn I would be so mad if I was another player on that team. You work your whole football life to make noise in the playoffs your jr and Sr year. To have that taken away from you AFTER A WIN, when you had nothing to do with it? I feel like there has to be people on that team that wants to fight that dude. 

exercising full metal jacket GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I respect where you're coming from in this post.  i get it.  Understand it.  It is decent.

I stand by my support of "make a statement" position in defense of the officials, however. I feel like that is also a critical point.  "You go cowboy...or 'off the reservation' and your whole team pays."  I could live with it if they had just punished the young man who did it, but like the precedent being set.  An  individual might feel like they have nothing to lose, but what if their teammates also get taken out?  I feel that is proper leverage to keep the 'foul balls' at bay.

25 minutes ago, slorch said:

I respect where you're coming from in this post.  i get it.  Understand it.  It is decent.

I stand by my support of "make a statement" position in defense of the officials, however. I feel like that is also a critical point.  "You go cowboy...or 'off the reservation' and your whole team pays."  I could live with it if they had just punished the young man who did it, but like the precedent being set.  An  individual might feel like they have nothing to lose, but what if their teammates also get taken out?  I feel that is proper leverage to keep the 'foul balls' at bay.

That’s the thing though. There was no precedent that needed to be set. There was no example that needed to be set. This was a rouge idiot. This situation happens so rarely, it doesn’t take a “good kid” to know not to hit a fucking ref. When you see how his team responded, literally everyone handled the situation the right way except the idiot. If you want to suspend the head coach indefinitely, and have him fired at the end of the year, fine. But too many of those kids worked from pee wee football, to two a days, all the way through their senior year of football for one last run. That’s a moment that you live to share with the teammates you’ve had since you were 10. To have that stripped because of one dipshit is ridiculous. To me that sets the wrong example. I wouldn’t be ok with this if I had a son on that team. Not at all, actually. I can only control what I can control. I can’t control the actions of a rouge idiot. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That’s the thing though. There was no precedent that needed to be set. There was no example that needed to be set. This was a rouge idiot. This situation happens so rarely, it doesn’t take a “good kid” to know not to hit a fucking ref. When you see how his team responded, literally everyone handled the situation the right way except the idiot. If you want to suspend the head coach indefinitely, and have him fired at the end of the year, fine. But too many of those kids worked from pee wee football, to two a days, all the way through their senior year of football for one last run. That’s a moment that you live to share with the teammates you’ve had since you were 10. To have that stripped because of one dipshit is ridiculous. To me that sets the wrong example. I wouldn’t be ok with this if I had a son on that team. Not at all, actually. 

you could always pursue legal action  for your son, and be THAT guy...

Hell, that's likely a very popular position on this board.

30 minutes ago, slorch said:

you could always pursue legal action  for your son, and be THAT guy...

Hell, that's likely a very popular position on this board.

I just think when you put that much time and effort into a team sport (especially one like football), You have to let the kids that had nothing to do with that go out on their shield. I know it sounds all like FNL bullshit but To this day, I remember getting blown out in the playoffs my senior year, and by the middle of the 4th quarter a lot of us kinda started soaking it in like “fuck, man. I guess this is it.” All my teammates embracing each other on the sideline, all the coaches saying bs like “one last series. Fuck the scoreboard. Play as hard as you can” and all that shit. I feel like you have to give them a chance to have that moment. Stripping it and having it end so suddenly just can’t sit right with me. I’m angry for these kids lol.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

ESPN said he pretty much did the same thing last year playing soccer.  If that’s true, the school should be disciplined.

That’s exactly what happened, this is only the beginning, there will be firings and suspensions later in the year because they swept his actions on the soccer field under the rug and still allowed him to play football.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I just think when you put that much time and effort into a team sport (especially one like football), You have to let the kids that had nothing to do with that go out on their shield. I know it sounds all like FNL bullshit but To this day, I remember getting blown out in the playoffs my senior year, and by the middle of the 4th quarter a lot of us kinda started soaking it in like “fuck, man. I guess this is it.” All my teammates embracing each other on the sideline, all the coaches saying bs like “one last series. Fuck the scoreboard. Play as hard as you can” and all that shit. I feel like you have to give them a chance to have that moment. Stripping it and having it end so suddenly just can’t sit right with me. I’m angry for these kids lol.

I agree with every bit of this. I have twin seniors that got eliminated last Friday in 3A. One of em fractured his thumb and jacked up some tendons. He still played after the break because he knew they probably wouldn’t advance and that was gonna be his final HS football game, probably his last FB game ever. I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be a senior and get eliminated based off of one loose cannon. Not to mention, those kids didn’t know from week to week what Covid was going to due to their schedule or their season. Sucks for those  players to go out like that.

Edited by RMac5
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

How was this fat ass good at soccer?

He’s way more built than fat imo. Wrestled in the 220 weight class at state last year and he looks to be about 5-10 or 5-11. Clearly just a really athletic guy that’s big. He definitely has the frame to become a fatass as he ages though. 

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

It’s not fair at all, but not much in life is. I think it’s more a punishment of the coaching staff for letting a known loose cannon on the team just because he was good. I do feel bad for the rest of the team/band/cheersquad/parents, especially Edinburg’s #72, who really stopped the situation from becoming much worse. But for optics I don’t think the district had much other choice. At the very least, that’s 50-60 young men that for the rest of their lives might think twice before they act out in anger.

This.  I think this punishment was dealt because of the combination of 1) the pattern of behavior and 2) the severity of the act.  

Nobody is saying it doesn’t suck royally for the rest of the team. It does suck. It’s not fair and it doesn’t need to be.  And they all can and should blame him.   
And it’s not an isolated incident. Not even isolated in south Texas. 2 kids in San Antonio trucked a ref a couple years ago. Coach was involved in that one too.  Those 2 kids plus this choad’s 2 separate episodes and it’s starting to add up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

".....  And they all can and should blame him......"

Tough lesson. That's life. 

A couple of year after I graduated, my  high school girls team was on a bus getting ready to leave SA for the State Water Polo tournament. Coach was informed that a player had changed her report card to remain eligible( paper back in the day).  He pulled them off the bus and called the 3rd place regional team so they could take the spot. It was a long time ago, but the other girls talked shit about that player for years after.

And she deserved it. 

Sometimes in life, you work really hard for something and someone else ruins it. It sucks for the other students, but that's life. In the end though, it's just high school football, so the handwringing over the other students being punished should have a little perspective.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Nobody is saying it doesn’t suck royally for the rest of the team. It does suck. It’s not fair and it doesn’t need to be.  And they all can and should blame him.   
And it’s not an isolated incident. Not even isolated in south Texas. 2 kids in San Antonio trucked a ref a couple years ago. Coach was involved in that one too.  Those 2 kids plus this choad’s 2 separate episodes and it’s starting to add up. 

It adds up to three.