Black female golfers have cops called for playing "too slowly"

Pancho

Trump's America

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/24/pennsylvania-golf-club-apologizes-for-calling-police-on-black-women-members

Thompson said the man from the second hole, identified as former York county commissioner Steve Chronister, his son, club co-owner Jordan Chronister and several other white, male employees approached the remaining two women and said they took too long of a break and they needed to leave the course.

The women argued they took an appropriate break, and that the men behind them were still on their beer break and not ready to tee off, as seen in a video Thompson gave the newspaper. The women were told that the police had been called, and so they waited.

At the second hole, a white man whose son co-owns the club came up to them twice to complain that they weren’t keeping up with the pace of play. Thompson, an attorney and the head of the York chapter of the NAACP, told the newspaper it was untrue.

On the same hole, another member of the group, Sandra Harrison, said she spoke with a Grandview golf pro, who said they were fine since they were keeping pace with the group ahead of them.

Despite that, the women skipped the third hole to avoid any other issues, she said.

It’s part of golf etiquette that slow-moving players let groups behind them play through if they are holding things up, and often golf courses have personnel who monitor the pace of play, letting golfers know when they are taking too long.

2 minutes ago, msbesq said:

Jeff Greenfield, the political commentator, once described Pennsylvania as Philadelphia to the East, Pittsburgh to the West  and Alabama in the middle.

Very Appalachian, indeed.  The police seem to have handled this better than their Philly counterparts at the Starbucks, but there's one important distinction.  These ladies appear, by virtue of their membership at the club, to be "licensed or otherwise privileged" to remain on the property, despite the owners' or others declarations of trespass.

I get that a slow group can be annoying af, but who calls the cops on a golf course?

Here's kind of an interesting question.  The club has apologized and offered to meet to discuss the event and how to go forward.  One of the ladies says that is insufficient  and someththing else needs to happen.  Logically, I suppose, that something else is a lawsuit.  How helpful is that, really?

I would submit that discussions like this are probably more fruitful than a lawsuit, which is just going to aggravate people and cause them to retrench their retrograde positions, but that doesn't seem to satiate the great American thirst for vengeance of some sort.

Which brings to mind another topic that is slightly off-topic.  Americans really seem to thirst for vengeance for legitimate or perceived wrongs.  I think it's what drives modern "litigiousness" in the civil dispute setting and has led us to incarceration nation on the criminal side.  Taint healthy.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Couldn't they have just like given them penalty strokes or stuff ?

Only if it were a tournament. The police have better things to do than mess with this nonsense. I wonder if the women were walking or riding carts, because most country clubs discourage fivesomes from walking. Also, how long was the was the round taking and how long was the break? 

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How many replies until someone posts how the North is so much more racist than the South. 

Never understood the point of those replies except everyone wants to be a victim. 

Well, thanks my man, no one needs to now that you've posted it.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How many replies until someone posts how the North is so much more racist than the South. 

Never understood the point of those replies except everyone wants to be a victim. 

Its not a victim mentality, its being honest that racial issues are not limited to the south and are actually pervasive in other parts of the country. It's not letting people get away with the attitude that blatant racism is confined to a certain few states and the rest of us get to point at them and laugh. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Its not a victim mentality, its being honest that racial issues are not limited to the south and are actually pervasive in other parts of the country. It's not letting people get away with the attitude that blatant racism is confined to a certain few states and the rest of us get to point at them and laugh. 

Exactly.  No one of good conscience likes to be called a racist or be told they live in a racist region.  Especially by someone who lives in an equally racist region.  The "north" has been lording its moral superiority on race issues over the "south" for 150-plus years.  Granted, the genesis of that was slavery, but after emancipation, the "north" lost any claim to current moral superiority on race issues.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Exactly.  No one of good conscience likes to be called a racist or be told they live in a racist region.  Especially by someone who lives in an equally racist region.  The "north" has been lording its moral superiority on race issues over the "south" for 150-plus years.  Granted, the genesis of that was slavery, but after emancipation, the "north" lost any claim to current moral superiority on race issues.

Well the fed. gov't didn't do too well with Indian relations either..

Edited by Onboard 2.0

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I, for one, support the cops being called for ANYONE (regardless of race, color, sexual orientation) who plays too slow on a golf course.

Slow play is worse than rape.  It's about time somebody treated it with the appropriate level of urgency.

The younger dude was a complete prick.  Why should they leave?  Seems they really had done nothing wrong, and in my many rounds of playing golf, many times drinking excessively, pace of play is addressed politely and responded to accordingly.  That whole thing was bullshit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The younger dude was a complete prick.  Why should they leave?  Seems they really had done nothing wrong, and in my many rounds of playing golf, many times drinking excessively, pace of play is addressed politely and responded to accordingly.  That whole thing was bullshit.

He really was.  And you could tell he was just about to explode with some nbombs and shit.  As aggravating as slow play can be, his response was entirely disproportionate.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Here's kind of an interesting question.  The club has apologized and offered to meet to discuss the event and how to go forward.  One of the ladies says that is insufficient  and someththing else needs to happen.  Logically, I suppose, that something else is a lawsuit.  How helpful is that, really?

I would submit that discussions like this are probably more fruitful than a lawsuit, which is just going to aggravate people and cause them to retrench their retrograde positions, but that doesn't seem to satiate the great American thirst for vengeance of some sort.

Which brings to mind another topic that is slightly off-topic.  Americans really seem to thirst for vengeance for legitimate or perceived wrongs.  I think it's what drives modern "litigiousness" in the civil dispute setting and has led us to incarceration nation on the criminal side.  Taint healthy.

Why is it the ladies' responsibility to meet and discuss things?  They're under no obligation to be nice to the racist asshats who called the cops.  The racist asshats should be the ones to fix things.

5 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Why is it the ladies' responsibility to meet and discuss things?  They're under no obligation to be nice to the racist asshats who called the cops.  The racist asshats should be the ones to fix things.

I still don't get the jump to racism, maybe it was just sexism, maybe they were just assholes. Everything so far is one side of the story and no one is claiming racial slurs were said, just because this happened to a minority does not automatically make it racist. 

43 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

These black women didn't just bow down and do exactly what he said do exactly when he said do it.

7 minutes ago, hornbri said:

I still don't get the jump to racism, maybe it was just sexism, maybe they were just assholes. Everything so far is one side of the story and no one is claiming racial slurs were said, just because this happened to a minority does not automatically make it racist. 

Right. I'm sure they have called the police to remove every group that slow plays.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Right. I'm sure they have called the police to remove every group that slow plays.

Or their could just be more to the story. The jump to conclusions to play the race card when only one side of the story is heard is part of the problem. 

5 hours ago, heso said:

I thought the appropriate response was to drive your ball into them while they’re still in the fairway. 

This is true, but you better be damn sure there's no one else in front of them lowing them down. I've had people hit up on to me. I hit their ball right back at them.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Bernard said:

This is true, but you better be damn sure there's no one else in front of them lowing them down. I've had people hit up on to me. I hit their ball right back at them.

Bernard

And that is always the proper response when someone drives their ball into your group.  Golf etiquette and shit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, d2o said:

I don't even understand why the police showed up. 

If you call the police to tell them that the golfers in front of you are playing too slow, shouldn't the police just tell you to fuck off?

Edited by Beau Vine
pronouns, how do they work?
  • Like 2

Not many women play at my club, so I wouldn’t know.  They have the tennis courts on lock down though.  

I can’t imagine getting that worked up.  It’s supposed to be fun.  I get enough stress at work. If there is slow play, and there isn’t anyone in front of them, ask to play through. And do it quickly.  

9 hours ago, msbesq said:

Jeff Greenfield, the political commentator, once described Pennsylvania as Philadelphia to the East, Pittsburgh to the West  and Alabama in the middle.

I thought it was Carville.  

Anyway, I spent the better part of 6 months in York doing a medical project.  I'm not the least bit surprised at thsi.