Killing Eve - BBC

VinyVango

• 3 weeks later...

We pretty much watched all 16 episodes in the last month, loved Season 1, was OK with the tonal changes early in Season 2 (that always happens), but it really lost its way the last half of S2. I’m not sure you can turn a cat and mouse dynamic into a buddy concept without issues, and the story had issues. Villanelle and Eve can’t become Riggs and Murtaugh.

I think Comer/Villanelle was great thruout, but Oh’s Eve seemed to get dumber, Catherine went from serious, gloomy supercopwoman to this sharply dressed spyslut and Konstantin, one of the world’s best evildoers and expert assassin wrangler morphed into a silly guy munching loudly on chips and popcorn in a surveillance van. 

Lots of plot holes, including how does Aaron Peele, perhaps the most secretive and guarded tech billionaire, leave his hotel work area wide open and his computer unprotected, allowing Villanelle to view his snuff films? He would probably also be able to monitor her phone and Eve’s stupid messages. 

There were still great moments, like the woman getting thrown into the street. But it was just disappointing to watch what was so good morph into something that was head scratching.

Yeah, this show went from awesome to suck really fast. Eve's motivations are completely muddy and frankly I don't give a shit about her any more.

The showrunners don't know how to make Villanelle awesome. She's immature, but she's also supposedly to be very crafty and good at her job. When did she show that in the second season? They're so clueless. You know why they didn't show what transpired between Villanelle and Ghost in the shipping container? Because they couldn't come up with anything. We're supposed to assume that Villanelle does something awesome offscreen.

Agree about Catherine and them wasting Konstantin.

14 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Figures you'd like her. She's a bluenose afterall. I think her dad was the Everton team physio.

FTR, I like her too. I think she's fantastic.  

i read that in my brief research on her as well...definitely makes her slightly more awesome.

Season 2 got derailed for me when they enlisted Villanelle to work with them to infiltrate/catch/kill the CEO psycho... It was hard to digest the sudden partnership, cooperativeness and semi serial-killing sins forgiven BS... The season was much better when Villanelle was gutting Johns in Amsterdam and/or stalking and terrorizing Eve's husband.  That said, overall it's still better television the most options and the actors are excellent.

• 9 months later...

The 2nd episode was good.  Villanelle's new apartment in Barcelona was gorgeous.  It was good to see Villanelle back to doing what she loves, frightening children and killing people.  I thought her protege had potential but I guess not.

On 4/20/2020 at 6:48 PM, WBT said:

I thought her protege had potential but I guess not.

I thought he might not survive 1 scene. 

there needs to be a term for characters who are introduced for Villanelle to kill, like the redshirts in Star Trek. Villanoob? Killanelle?

On 4/20/2020 at 8:48 PM, WBT said:

It was good to see Villanelle back to doing what she loves, frightening children and killing people.

The glee on her face while threatening the baby and then her cackle after Dasha left it in the trash can were amazing.

This season is much closer to Season 1 than Season 2 in quality so far.  I'm not sure why Villanelle wouldn't have killed Caroline though.

It's looking a little better, but is Villanelle supposed to be so inept that she thinks that falling 7 feet from a ladder will kill someone? I mean, it's her job. Shouldn't she make sure the target is dead before she starts perusing the spice aisle?

On 4/28/2020 at 10:21 AM, ajax said:

It's looking a little better, but is Villanelle supposed to be so inept that she thinks that falling 7 feet from a ladder will kill someone? I mean, it's her job. Shouldn't she make sure the target is dead before she starts perusing the spice aisle?

or not taking a second shot at a sitting duck in Carolyn to make sure the job is done?  umm.

On 4/17/2019 at 10:59 AM, Jograves said:

I didn't see this past Sunday's episode yet. This is really hard time of year to keep up with my dvr between NCAA and NBA basketball, baseball, hockey playoffs, and the nice weather. Maybe I'll wait until several episodes buildup before I get back into this. 

This post from last year makes me sad

• 4 weeks later...

man...

i did not like this season.  the plot didn't feel like a storyline as much as stuff just happening, and really, who even remotely cared about it? i didn't.  the only likable character was still likable but written in a way that was inconsistent with the previous 2 seasons.  there was no suspense.  no continuity.  what's going to make you want to keep watching?

Yeah not much happened and the resolution to Kenny's murder really fizzled out.  I guess we're to think that Caroline's boss told Konstantin to kill him but I'm surprised they didn't show us more in flashback or something.

I liked it a little more than Season 2 but it has really fallen off since PWB left.  I don't know how you center a show around sad Villanelle who doesn't want to kill anymore.