What is the quintessential 60's song?

qwertyu1234

So much going on here.  You've basically got pre/post 65, and American/Brit rock.  Lots of ground to cover.

I just posted this in the covers thread, but it's pretty much garage rock at it's essence, right down to the shitty recording and fucked up arrangement.  FWIW is the runaway fav here, and I don't disagree, but I think this is in the running for pre-65/American. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 9:33 PM, DCA_HORN said:

To me the quintessential 60's song has to be in the mid to late 60's, so in my best John Cusack voice:

Top 5 quintessential 60's songs:

Buffalo Springfield-For What it's Worth

CCR-Fortunate Son

Animals-House of the Rising Son

Simon & Garfunkel-Mrs. Robinson

Bob Dylan-Blowing in the Wind

I agree. Those songs are the ones more incorporated in other media, commercials, television, movies, then any other 5 one could come up with. 

Edited by Dolemite

I agree with @cooterbrown...the decade was split in half...more bubblegum(ish) the first half, and psychedelic(ish) the second half.  The Beatles music of the decade demonstrates that point.  So many great bands and songs in the 60s!!   I ran across this gem a couple of years ago and was surprised how well it has held up.

Edited by Stella Link

But with the state of modern music I doubt that, despite the times being ripe for political commentary, we'll get a decent or compelling document of this era for future generations to create threads to discuss the merits of the music in the way we are doing it here.

The music is letting these kids down. #getoffmylawn

Edited by BoomMF

On 5/6/2018 at 11:54 PM, BoomMF said:

But with the state of modern music I doubt that, despite the times being ripe for political commentary, we'll get a decent or compelling document of this era for future generations to create threads to discuss the merits of the music in the way we are doing it here.

And then This Is America dropped.

Hope springs eternal.

On 5/6/2018 at 11:54 PM, BoomMF said:

You probably need to pay a little more attention to rap.

• Like 1

It is too difficult to pick a single song or artist to represent a decade. I couldn’t pick one within the subgroups of early 60s (Motown, early rock) or late 60s counterculture and antiwar all with country western and gospel running in the background. One decade brought the Beatles (with an evolution of their own), the Jackson 5, Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, the Stones, Creedence, the back half of Elvis Presley’s fame and the beginnings of the next era with bands like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. 

In 30 years, will people be debating the artistic contributions of Brittney, the Spice Girls, Alanis Morrisette, NSync, et al.? Hell Biggie, Tupac, and NWA probably had more contributions to the evolution of music than anyone in pop or rock. The 90s will probably be split in half like the 60s with the rise of grunge early on and the evolution of hip hop later. Well, I guess Brittney was the face that launched a million skanks....

13 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

It is too difficult to pick a single song or artist to represent a decade. I couldn’t pick one within the subgroups of early 60s (Motown, early rock) or late 60s counterculture and antiwar all with country western and gospel running in the background. One decade brought the Beatles (with an evolution of their own), the Jackson 5, Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, the Stones, Creedence, the back half of Elvis Presley’s fame and the beginnings of the next era with bands like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. 

In 30 years, will people be debating the artistic contributions of Brittney, the Spice Girls, Alanis Morrisette, NSync, et al.? Hell Biggie, Tupac, and NWA probably had more contributions to the evolution of music than anyone in pop or rock. The 90s will probably be split in half like the 60s with the rise of grunge early on and the evolution of hip hop later. Well, I guess Brittney was the face that launched a million skanks....

Bullshit. 

In 30 years, nobody  will know who the fuck any of those people are, with the possible exception of Biggie, Tupac and NWA. Why?  Because those guys (not biggie  so much IMHO) are The Beatles of  Rap. 

The Spice Girls are the hot-chick version of The Monkees, minus the TV show. NSync too.  Alanis, one could argue, has a Joni Mitchell thing working, to some extent anyway

A bunch of old white guys debating the relevance of today's music always cracks me up. Trust me the kids will be alright and will determine what's was relevant to them in the future. As much I like the music I grew up with, it bores the fuck out of most kids today.

And if you don't have at least a healthy respect for rap / hip hop by now, I don't know what to tell you. That's a shame.

12 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

A bunch of old white guys debating the relevance of today's music always cracks me up. Trust me the kids will be alright and will determine what's was relevant to them in the future. As much I like the music I grew up with, it bores the fuck out of most kids today.

And if you don't have at least a healthy respect for rap / hip hop by now, I don't know what to tell you. That's a shame.

Yeah a bunch of old white guys who grew up with rock and Motown and funk, and saw that music as it grew. Yeah what the fuck do we know.....

Ours might be the most musically educated generation in the history of man, or maybe even woman. Anecdotally speaking, my parents and my friends' parents are nowhere near as musically diverse as my friends and I. I wonder if my kids and their friends add to or subtract from that...