Help me create a signature cocktail

Hornius Emeritus

On 12/8/2020 at 12:21 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

The base spirit absolutely needs to be Sotol. Its the only spirit/plant native to Texas. Anything else is hogwash. Lol vodka?

Desert Door doesnt make the best sotol, but they are a Texas brand and make sotol with plants only grown in Texas. 

1 oz Sotol

0.5 oz Prickly pear syrup (Cheris brand or gtfo)

0.5 oz Aperol

0.5 oz lime

top with Topo Chico (can be regular, or lime/grapefruit flavor if u want something a lil different)

Youre welcome

I've never had sotol, but I wonder if I could use it in place of gin in a martini, perhaps heavy on the vermouth. 

Texas is a big state made up of lots of different kinds of people and geography, so your drink needs to reflect that. 

Start with a fish bowl in the shape of the Alamo. Then add one bottle of Sotol, which is a kind of liquor I have definitely heard of before, which represents South Texas. Then toss in a couple of pine cones in the most racist way possible and you’ve got your East Texas. Next, you’re going to need something from the gulf coast, a half dozen of those huge ass mutant oysters (with their liquor) should do the trick, and leave them on the half shell so that they sink to the bottom. West Texas is an obvious choice: crude oil, but you could just use Kahlua instead. Top with equal parts tomato juice, milk, and curaçao (red white and blue of the Texas flag) and then stick in a couple of lit sparklers and you’ve got yourself an all Texas drink. You’re welcome. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh, man ... the folks at Ironroot sent their Harbinger to me and I just opened it. AMAZING.  I'm leaning a lot toward naming them in the signature cocktail and then saying something like "Balcones or XXXX will also work."  Lots of citrus notes. I think it would be great in something like a sidecar.   And how is it possible that a whiskey with just 28 months in the barrel can be so damn tasty? Wow.

Ironroot Harbinger.jpg

Here is a good link to what are most of the Texas based spirits- apparently there are 530 bottles that Total Wine has access to. Texas Spirits

I sort of view "brown water" as manly, and everything else as feminine for the most part.  The warm weather aspect to me means a more voluminous drink with lots of ice.  The ingredients available "at most bars" I do not know how to interpret? As bars that make craft cocktails have a shit ton more ingredients than a regular bar.

What sort of price point or do they care?  Too bad I do not consider Dr. Pepper a usual bar ingredient, I envisioned something shaken with a Dr.Pepper floater 

I'm gonna have to think about this one a bit.

On 12/7/2020 at 7:58 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Just looked through our older cookbooks.  "The Texas Cookbook" by Mary Faulk Koock (of Green Pastures in South Austin Fame) includes a bourbon cocktail called the "Bayou Bend Special" attributed to Ima Hogg, the daughter of Gov. James Hogg, and apparently "a long sought secret" often served at her River Oaks estate.

Bayou Bend Special

• 1 thick-skinned seedless orange
  • 1 Tbs. honey
  • 1 fifth Bourbon

Slice orange and add honey to orange slices.  Put in top of a double boiler and let steep for 5 or 10 minutes.  Transfer orange slices to a jar, cover with a fifth of Bourbon, and let stand for at least 12 hours, but after 24 hours remove orange slices (if left too long, Bourbon will be bitter.)

Per Drink

• Half orange slice
  • Stemmed cherry
  • Jigger of mixed orange and lemon juice
  • Dash bitters
  • Dash orange-flower water
  • 2 jiggers of the above prepared Bourbon, all served over ice

Cheers.

Mom mom used to volunteer at Bayou Bend.  In fact Bayou Bend at Christmas was absolutely beautiful... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 7:58 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Just looked through our older cookbooks.  "The Texas Cookbook" by Mary Faulk Koock (of Green Pastures in South Austin Fame) includes a bourbon cocktail called the "Bayou Bend Special" attributed to Ima Hogg, the daughter of Gov. James Hogg, and apparently "a long sought secret" often served at her River Oaks estate.

Bayou Bend Special

• 1 thick-skinned seedless orange
  • 1 Tbs. honey
  • 1 fifth Bourbon

Slice orange and add honey to orange slices.  Put in top of a double boiler and let steep for 5 or 10 minutes.  Transfer orange slices to a jar, cover with a fifth of Bourbon, and let stand for at least 12 hours, but after 24 hours remove orange slices (if left too long, Bourbon will be bitter.)

Per Drink

• Half orange slice
  • Stemmed cherry
  • Jigger of mixed orange and lemon juice
  • Dash bitters
  • Dash orange-flower water
  • 2 jiggers of the above prepared Bourbon, all served over ice

Cheers.

Just whipped up a batch of this using Balcones Baby Blue. 

Holy crap. 

Ladies and gentlemen ... we may have a winner. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Texan Gentleman:

you’ll need blended Texan whiskey, Caffe Del Fuego, Fee Brothers Aztec chocolate bitters, and an orange peel to make the perfect garnish. Put some ice in a rocks glass, mix all the ingredients in a jar, and pour it into the glass. Top it all off with an orange peel. 

It's a twist on an old-fashioned.