Thinking of adding a new monitor for home office

C-Man

Having been relegated to my home office since mid-March, I've been working off my work ThinkPad and MacBook. I was thinking of buying a standalone 24-inch monitor to plug either machine into for an extra screen and just have a bigger, clearer display. Seeing some deals on Amazon for HP or Samsungs in the $110-$175 range. That's probably about what I'd want to spend at this point. Suggestions? I will need ability to plug both machines into the monitor -- have the Thunderbird USB-C outputs on MacBook (but have a "docking" cord/station for HDMI/USB, etc) and the ThinkPad has regular outputs for HDMI and USB.

Coworker With Two Computer Screens Not Fucking Around

8/13/12 9:10AM

SEE MORE:NEWS

FORT WORTH, TX—Credible sources within your office reported Monday that the guy on the third floor with two computer screens on his desk is not fucking around. "Amazing—he comes in here, sits down next to me and my one sorry-ass screen, turns on his two screens, and starts tearing it up," marketing assistant Todd Piotrowski said as the guy dragged a window from one screen to the other, which sources confirmed was like watching fucking Minority Report or something. "He's got three, maybe four programs open on each screen, plus some sort of group video chat running nonstop—he's going balls to the wall over there. How is he doing all this with only one keyboard?" Piotrowski also speculated that if there’s a limit to how many tabs you can have open in your web browser at once, this guy's gonna hit it.

https://www.theonion.com/coworker-with-two-computer-screens-not-fucking-around-1819573756

• Hook 'Em 1

After getting used to multiple 4k monitors, trying to use a single laptop screen is like watching TV through a tube.   

Being a remote employee, I could do my job literately anywhere in the world,  as long as I have a fast internet connection....and external monitors.

There's physical size, and there's resolution.  Getting a 24" monitor that is 720p is still drawing with crayons, just bigger crayons.

• 720p = 1280x720
  • 1080p = 1920x1080
  • 1440p (2k) = 2560x1440
  • 4k = 3840x2160

There are 1440p monitors to be found in the price range you are looking, such as:

https://www.newegg.com/axm-2768-27-qhd/p/15Z-00MH-00006?Item=9SIAB9H8R37432&Description=1440p monitor&cm_re=1440p_monitor-_-9SIAB9H8R37432-_-Product&quicklink=true

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

bumping for shot in the dark help on a dual monitor problem

I've got an old Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (native res 1920x1080) and a new ThinkVision P24h-20 (native res 2560x1440). Got them both connected to a dock (ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen2) connected to my laptop (Thinkpad T490, Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 display adapter) - I've tried various combinations but currently the new monitor is on displayport and the old one on HDMI.

The issue I'm having is, I can't get them both to display at their native resolution. Currently, I have them both at 1920x1080, which obviously looks not great on the new higher resolution monitor. By unplugging the other one, I can get it back to native resolution, and I can, by mucking with the intel display command center thing get it to go to 2560x1440 with the other display connected, but then that display will only show some super small resolution. It shouldn't be limited by max resolution or max number of displays - the laptop screen isn't on or detected when this issue is happening, and even with the laptop screen up it should be fine. I've tried reinstalling the drivers with no luck. Obviously have tried changing the display resolution from the display settings - the correct resolution disappears from the drop down menu. Same thing if I go into advanced display settings and list the modes for the adapter

image.png.f837a91a9084dad4b9e3e2145f8f4f86.png

bugging the shit out of me. Obviously this is a corporate laptop, I've bugged our IT hoping maybe there's some corporate spyware that limit something or generally this is a problem that other people have experience, but that guy seems not sure wtf either. any ideas?

19 hours ago, elfenix said:

i would guess the problem is with the dock

Maybe... I'm not sure if I've tried running one off of the hub and one off of the laptop, that may work. I had *thought* I had eliminated that as a technical limitation, although I'm getting confused if I'm understanding what they're describing in the specs - 

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-usb/TP-USB-C-DOCK-GEN2-US/p/40AS0090US

image.thumb.png.48fabd5c8c274f93cc518a17218e7137.png

image.png.aa2a7082fb685c7f6d926cf1aab64e94.png

either way I guess I'll roust up an hdmi cable (I was wrong, I actually currently have one on dp and one on a dp->hdmi cable, although I did earlier have it hooked up via hdmi) and try that