Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

On 2/18/2021 at 8:44 PM, Bigpoppapump said:

Test drove one and couldn’t handle the blind spots.

I like them and they hold their value extremely well. They have three windshield wipers on the front and that just really bothers me for some reason. 

sorry about your 3rd gen @blacklab but glad it kept you safe

The boy is turning 16 soon and getting a Taco.  For his birthday he wants something cool for his (well, my) truck, but he's not sure what yet (rack, bed cover, remote start, something with teenage high school parking lot cred).

Any recs for online or local (north Austin to Waco) shops to check out?  I'm ignorant.

And one day I hope to find one of these for myself.  We had one when I was a little kid and it still kills me that it was sold.  Probably still rolling around somebody's deer lease, or making drug/severed human head runs in Central America somewhere.
1976-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ55-Smurf-Blue

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Damor said:

The boy is turning 16 soon and getting a Taco.  For his birthday he wants something cool for his (well, my) truck, but he's not sure what yet (rack, bed cover, remote start, something with teenage high school parking lot cred).

Any recs for online or local (north Austin to Waco) shops to check out?  I'm ignorant.

And one day I hope to find one of these for myself.  We had one when I was a little kid and it still kills me that it was sold.  Probably still rolling around somebody's deer lease, or making drug/severed human head runs in Central America somewhere.
1976-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ55-Smurf-Blue

Upgraded wheels/tires always makes a truck look better.

Love that 55.  

Bought the FJ today. After everyone telling me how small it is inside, it seems way wider and roomier for the driver than the 4runner. The blind spots are a bitch and you can't see shit out the back so I'm getting a back up camera for sure.

Get a few of those stick on blind spot mirrors, and make sure to adjust the normal mirrors to where they start where the body ends, and you’ll be good.

Backup camera is good, too. I have a later model that has a factory one, luckily.

And yeah, it definitely is plenty large enough for the driver. More room than in a GX, too, in my experience.

Thanks, y'all.  Tonneau cover and superfluous brush guard/bull bar are the leaders in the clubhouse.  Any recommendations on local installers or online dealers?

It's otherwise quite nicely equipped, should have included a pic.

PXL_20210225_130320834_2.thumb.jpg.59742237f2c0ad51c40ea1c394dcf7e4.jpg

Yeah, I do deserve some shit for letting a 16yo drive this (and I am tempted to steal it for myself), but:

-- I was really proud of him because he bird-dogged this thing himself.  Found it, contacted the seller, asked all the questions, went with me to get it checked by a mechanic, basically ran the whole purchase process aside from cutting the check.  He did a good job.
-- The guy we bought it from put a ton into it and took great care of it, and basically it came hugely upgraded at a price not much different from other Tacos on the market.
-- Either he'll drive it for the next 15 years, or more likely will get passed to his younger brother and then it will be mine when they are done with it.

This is my first Yota since bouncing around in the back of the 55.  I'm very impressed.

12 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Would y’all tow a 4-5k lb boat or camper trailer with a Lexus Gx? Towing capacity is 6,500 lbs. or do I really need to step up to a truck or stronger suv?

When towing I like to leave a 20% error margin so 6500lbs towing capacity equates to 5200 lbs.

But keep in mind that a fully wet and loaded camper trailer or boat is going to weigh considerably more than its listed dry weight.

Also, the short wheel base on the GX (compared to a truck) is going to make for a less pleasant towing experience. But, I towed my boat and Airstream with a Tahoe for ten years, and each of those wet and loaded were around 5K lbs, so it's not the worst thing in the world.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Damor said:

Thanks, y'all.  Tonneau cover and superfluous brush guard/bull bar are the leaders in the clubhouse.  Any recommendations on local installers or online dealers?

It's otherwise quite nicely equipped, should have included a pic.

PXL_20210225_130320834_2.thumb.jpg.59742237f2c0ad51c40ea1c394dcf7e4.jpg

Yeah, I do deserve some shit for letting a 16yo drive this (and I am tempted to steal it for myself), but:

-- I was really proud of him because he bird-dogged this thing himself.  Found it, contacted the seller, asked all the questions, went with me to get it checked by a mechanic, basically ran the whole purchase process aside from cutting the check.  He did a good job.
-- The guy we bought it from put a ton into it and took great care of it, and basically it came hugely upgraded at a price not much different from other Tacos on the market.
-- Either he'll drive it for the next 15 years, or more likely will get passed to his younger brother and then it will be mine when they are done with it.

This is my first Yota since bouncing around in the back of the 55.  I'm very impressed.

Good luck most every 16 year old I new wrecked there first car. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

When towing I like to leave a 20% error margin so 6500lbs towing capacity equates to 5200 lbs.

But keep in mind that a fully wet and loaded camper trailer or boat is going to weigh considerably more than its listed dry weight.

Also, the short wheel base on the GX (compared to a truck) is going to make for a less pleasant towing experience. But, I towed my boat and Airstream with a Tahoe for ten years, and each of those wet and loaded were around 5K lbs, so it's not the worst thing in the world.

I’d have no problem towing a boat but a travel trailer at that weight would be a lot for the GX. We had a travel trailer around 5k lbs and my half ton is about as small as I would have been comfortable with. In the wind the walls of a travel trailer create a completely different towing experience.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, blacklab said:

Bought the FJ today. After everyone telling me how small it is inside, it seems way wider and roomier for the driver than the 4runner. The blind spots are a bitch and you can't see shit out the back so I'm getting a back up camera for sure.

Good call man. Get the camera and you're all set. 

Not that anybody cares but as an update on my 200 series and off-road, I spent a day in the woods working through all the different traction systems and settings. Very slick red clay mud, lots of ruts, extremely hilly roads. I have shitty street "all terrains" that I'm about to replace but haven't decided what I'm going to replace them with yet.

Overall, I was very impressed. The CRAWL feature is nothing short of amazing. It bogged down once at the top of a steep hill when there was no traction to be had, but I just hit the gas and used wheel spin to make it over. It is so, so tempting to put aggressive tires on this but I know that I will regret it since 95% of the time I will be on road. So I'm thinking classic KO2's, though I don't really like them in the mud. Good compromise with acceptable road manners.

28 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Not sure where you’re at bhm, but the ko2’s are great on snow. They are not good on ice however. 

I'm in Alabama. There's a constant trade-off between grip off-road and traction on ice. You want bad on ice, go with old school BFG MTs, like I had on my 80 in Baltimore. As long as you didn't need to turn or stop, they were awesome.

1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:

Not that anybody cares but as an update on my 200 series and off-road, I spent a day in the woods working through all the different traction systems and settings. Very slick red clay mud, lots of ruts, extremely hilly roads. I have shitty street "all terrains" that I'm about to replace but haven't decided what I'm going to replace them with yet.

Overall, I was very impressed. The CRAWL feature is nothing short of amazing. It bogged down once at the top of a steep hill when there was no traction to be had, but I just hit the gas and used wheel spin to make it over. It is so, so tempting to put aggressive tires on this but I know that I will regret it since 95% of the time I will be on road. So I'm thinking classic KO2's, though I don't really like them in the mud. Good compromise with acceptable road manners.

Glad you go the offroad traction figured out.  I need to play around with CRAWL one of these days.

If you're going to ever see snow, I wholeheartedly endorse the Toyo AT3s.  Spent last week in the mountains with them and they are great in the white stuff.  They are surprisingly quiet, too.  If no snow, KO2s are always a good choice.

Really like the Wildpeak AT3Ws I have on the 100 as well, but they are quite a bit heavier (something like 11# more per tire than the Toyos).

37 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Glad you go the offroad traction figured out.  I need to play around with CRAWL one of these days.

If you're going to ever see snow, I wholeheartedly endorse the Toyo AT3s.  Spent last week in the mountains with them and they are great in the white stuff.  They are surprisingly quiet, too.  If no snow, KO2s are always a good choice.

Really like the Wildpeak AT3Ws I have on the 100 as well, but they are quite a bit heavier (something like 11# more per tire than the Toyos).

I'm still trying to figure it out. I think there's maybe a .1% chance I will ever see snow. Actually, believe it or not, the BFG MTs were excellent in snow. Just not on ice.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

When my last set of KO2s were done on the Tundra, I went to Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I've got about 10,000 miles on them now and I've been really happy with them. As quiet as KO2s, great traction everywhere I've needed it, and they were a few bucks less than the KO2s. 

That is useful information. What about weight? Any driving differences? Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

That is useful information. What about weight? Any driving differences? Thank you. 

Nittos are 66lbs each, KO2s are 69lbs each per the discount website (295/60/R20). I think they ride as good or better than my KO2s, but they were pretty worn down by the time I changed them out so that may be coloring my opinion. 

CHIEF Jr.'s tire and rim combo is pretty killer. He runs 20" XD's with 34.5" Cooper STT Pros on a stock Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a 1" lift on the front (basically a leveling kit). It has that "stuffed" look at that height. The tires are about $400 a pop, but luckily, he has a couple of flats, so we have them staggered, and by two at a time.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-stt-pro

JRims.png

He wears them down to the nub, These need to be replaced,

CHIEF

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

When my last set of KO2s were done on the Tundra, I went to Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I've got about 10,000 miles on them now and I've been really happy with them. As quiet as KO2s, great traction everywhere I've needed it, and they were a few bucks less than the KO2s. 

I think I'm going to the Nittos on our Jeep when it's time to change them out, which is definitely within the next year. 

I have Terra Grapplers on my LX and KO2s on my Tacoma.  It's hard to tell which performs better, I doubt there's much terrain where one could take you that the other couldn't.  The Nittos are quieter, IMO.  I'm a fan of them and would buy them again.     Ride quality... to many factors to say.  My LX with the Nittos drives a lot smoother but it's got that Lexus adjustable height control and the variable suspension damping...  It's probably more due to suspension but it rides smoother than the Tacoma on KO2s with Biltstien 5100s.  

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Have these on 4 runner. Did great in the snow and ice in Austin. Low road noise on Hwy and seem to ride well (haven’t been in real mud, just trails). Have 28k on them so far and zero issues. Seems like plenty of life left too

*side tread looks good too

Edited by ChickenSandwich

I have Ridge Grapplers on my Jeep. Great tire but my only beef is that they pick up gravel like a mofo. A problem that wasn’t as pronounced on multiple sets of KO2’s and a set of Toyo Open Country RT’s that I’ve run in the past.

Quiet and great traction though.

I run the p-rates wild peaks on my 4Runner. I went with the load range c instead of E due solely to the weight of the tire. They’ve done great so far and we’re significantly cheaper than KO2s. I ran the old terrace grapplers on my tundra (10 years ago) and strongly disliked them; barely got 40k miles

I run the p-rates wild peaks on my 4Runner. I went with the load range c instead of E due solely to the weight of the tire. They’ve done great so far and we’re significantly cheaper than KO2s. I ran the old terrace grapplers on my tundra (10 years ago) and strongly disliked them; barely got 40k miles
Wildpeaks are same price as everything else these days. Used to be significantly cheaper, but no more.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
14 minutes ago, cknight said:

Wildpeaks are same price as everything else these days. Used to be significantly cheaper, but no more.

Just checked and you’re right; I want to say it was close to $200-$250 cheaper to go with wildpeaks over bfg’s a year ago

1 hour ago, cknight said:

Totally unrelated, but is that a Boykin in your avatar? Been researching the breed a bit and thinking of getting one for a duck/ dove retriever. I love their size, my last lab was 48 lbs in her prime and she could go all day. She hunted until she was 12, and lived to 15. 

12 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Totally unrelated, but is that a Boykin in your avatar? Been researching the breed a bit and thinking of getting one for a duck/ dove retriever. I love their size, my last lab was 48 lbs in her prime and she could go all day. She hunted until she was 12, and lived to 15. 

Yeah it is; best dog I’ve ever had and shot hundreds of birds over her. Feel free to send me a message and we can talk. Another member on here has a male from the same litter and breeder.

• Hook 'Em 1

If any of you guys with 3rd Gen 4runner or Taco needs any parts for your truck let me know soon before I send it off to the junkyard.

Front seats were redone with leather a little over a year ago and are in perfect shape.

Alternator is also around a year old.

I am probably putting the wheels and tires from the 4runner on the FJ so if you want/need original 2010 FJ wheels with cheap tires on them I'll have those too.

5 hours ago, blacklab said:

If any of you guys with 3rd Gen 4runner or Taco needs any parts for your truck let me know soon before I send it off to the junkyard.

Front seats were redone with leather a little over a year ago and are in perfect shape.

Alternator is also around a year old.

I am probably putting the wheels and tires from the 4runner on the FJ so if you want/need original 2010 FJ wheels with cheap tires on them I'll have those too.

What year?  Looking for wood grain radio bezel but only 2000-2002 will work

On 2/25/2021 at 8:41 PM, Your Mom said:

I have Terra Grapplers on my LX and KO2s on my Tacoma.  It's hard to tell which performs better, I doubt there's much terrain where one could take you that the other couldn't.  The Nittos are quieter, IMO.  I'm a fan of them and would buy them again.     Ride quality... to many factors to say.  My LX with the Nittos drives a lot smoother but it's got that Lexus adjustable height control and the variable suspension damping...  It's probably more due to suspension but it rides smoother than the Tacoma on KO2s with Biltstien 5100s.  

I’ve had several sets of both on current truck, and had the opposite experience.  I got about 20% more out of the terras, but they were louder for sure. Been running KO2s (3rd set since last TG) because I lost a belt on one of the TG with about 10k left and it pissed me off. That truck has over 200k between those tires, but is heavier than the tacos so ymmv.  TG was seeing 55k, KOs seeing about 45.   I don’t run tires to the nub but do run them down to within 5k or so of the wear bars. 

On 2/25/2021 at 5:00 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

IMO the Ridge Grapplers are probably the best overall truck tire out there.  They are quiet, good value and last a long time. 

35 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

IMO the Ridge Grapplers are probably the best overall truck tire out there.  They are quiet, good value and last a long time. 

I think that's what I'm going with. My main problem with the AT tires (including KO2s) is that they were so compromised that I was never happy with them no matter what I was doing. They sucked in mud. They sucked in rain. Etc. So I may as get a little more aggressive tread pattern since I am already compromising on road performance and noise.