Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

Prices are crazy right now. New model is supposed to come out in a year or two.

Yeah, I would not want to be buying any vehicle right now. I sold my Tacoma for a full-size back in January because we needed more cab space, and we almost waited. So glad I didn't, because the same truck I bought I could trade back for 7k more than I paid. If you can wait it out, I would. 

7 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Yeah, I would not want to be buying any vehicle right now. I sold my Tacoma for a full-size back in January because we needed more cab space, and we almost waited. So glad I didn't, because the same truck I bought I could trade back for 7k more than I paid. If you can wait it out, I would. 

Used truck prices are stupid right not.  Did a quick look on my daughter's (nopics) 2012 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4.  My wife worked for GST at the time and could order vehicles below dealer cost.  MSRP was $32,463, Dealer cost was $30,211 and our cost was $28745 + TTL.  It's in great shape, she only has 55K miles on it and KBB is showing $26.9K as trade in.   

That's crazy.  

Well, I only care about the cavalry blue of the 18, but there is no way I am going to pay that premium (even 3 years old) for paint. 

My sanity and financial stability is hinging on this job.  I am beyond nervous and anxious, so was taking my mind off things with some fantasy (which I hope becomes reality).  In that fantasy, I would likely get the 2021 4Runner Venture.

Prices are kind of crazy, but it is what it is.  My tacoma has a KBB value of $10-13k and its a 2013 with 200500 miles.  Fucking crazy.

• Like 1

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, I only care about the cavalry blue of the 18, but there is no way I am going to pay that premium (even 3 years old) for paint. 

My sanity and financial stability is hinging on this job.  I am beyond nervous and anxious, so was taking my mind off things with some fantasy (which I hope becomes reality).  In that fantasy, I would likely get the 2021 4Runner Venture.

Prices are kind of crazy, but it is what it is.  My tacoma has a KBB value of $10-13k and its a 2013 with 200500 miles.  Fucking crazy.

yeah, I traded in my 11 base 4x4 with 100k miles in January before things got stupid for 17k and thought I robbed the guy blind. Then saw him sell it 8 days later for 21. 

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Cavalry blue is a great color. They made the Tacoma in it for one year (2019) as a non-Pro color. Not sure why they didn't do the same with the 4Runner. I guess it just wasn't very popular as they killed it for VooDoo blue pretty fast. I love mine.

DB7F04A8-E3DA-45BB-AE8F-9427CEDDC744.jpeg

• Like 1

Cavalry blue is a great color. They made the Tacoma in it for one year (2019) as a non-Pro color. Not sure why they didn't do the same with the 4Runner. I guess it just wasn't very popular as they killed it for VooDoo blue pretty fast. I love mine.

DB7F04A8-E3DA-45BB-AE8F-9427CEDDC744.thumb.jpeg.90a287b4b1026f94a7c0c73ecee4ad0d.jpeg
Cavalry is far superior to Voodoo.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I wish they had more of their fun colors on the Landcruisers.  I like the pearl white I got, but would love an Army Green LC.

Lunar rock was 2021 right? I hadn’t seen a confirmed color for 2022. Some link showed a possible electric line green but I’m guessing it’ll be a new red.

Well you all just made me check the KBB for my 2015 Double Cab 4x4 TRD Sport, 70k miles and I'm shocked the value is that high. I knew it'd hold decent value, but damn that's nuts. It's not that much less than what I bought it for.

I bought a 2015 with one of the main reasons being to get the 4.0L V6 before they stopped selling it in the Taco. Love the truck and plan on keeping it for as long as she'll allow.

Sold the bronco last month when we moved back to Texas. Was to be the boys’ first driver in a few years but the lack of safety features was fine for Wyoming but not so much for austin/Georgetown.  Probably end up buying them a 15 year old wrangler in the next few years but maybe at that time I’ll be able to find an FJ for cheap or just get a Taco of some vintage. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice. Apparently OrangeBoxx has really, really, really abhorrent customer service anyway, so you won doubly.

I made my own drawers for the back of mine. I like them, but they were expensive to make then (3-4 years ago), and I can’t imagine the cost it would take today with how high lumber is now.

50 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Nice. Apparently OrangeBoxx has really, really, really abhorrent customer service anyway, so you won doubly.

Yeah. I saw those reviews too and that was the second biggest reason after price to not order from there. May look into going to one of those maker places with cnc machines to make the sides right but this works for now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, blacklab said:

The bolt on the bottom of my trailer hitch.

If I need to flip the hitch (which I have had to do) or replace with a different size ball I have to use this wrench

I bought a six inch socket wrench at Harbor Frieght to do this

19 hours ago, blacklab said:

I always had a box of stuff in the back of the truck which would contain things like an air compressor, tools, tow strap, etc. When I totaled my 4runner and bought my FJ a few months ago I moved the box from the 4runner to the FJ. The thing that stunk about the box in the back of the FJ is it would slide around. It would also invariably end up looking like this after a few weeks of me being lazy1136739086_ImagefromiOS(13).thumb.jpg.5a890d4e3b851b7278be7346723ab464.jpg

So I started looking around at things like orangebox https://www.orangeboxxfabrication.com/online-store/FJ-Cruiser-c37537319

1139412214.jpg

Really cool design but at ~$300 to do both sides seemed pretty steep and I'm a pretty big cheap ass. 

Tried to find some of the "Molle" material to build my own but couldn't find anything anywhere. I started thinking about what else I could use and remembered I had some shelves I no longer used that look like this sitting in the attic unused:

10079861-Elfa-ventilated-wire-shelve.jpg

Available at container store I had the 20"x2' ones that were perfect

The orangeboxx and other solutions use the existing hook locations to tie in so I looked up the bolts are 6M so I headed off to lowes to find some long bolts. The longest they had were around 3 inches so I went to amazon. They didn't have anything longer than that so I bought a 1 meter threaded bolt along with some finger bolts.

I took out the bolts from the 3 places along the drivers side back, cut the threaded bolt to the right size, put the threaded bolt into the bolt locations, followed by the plastic hook, a regular bolt, a finger bolt, the shelf and then a second finger bolt and it ended up like this

2096146780_ImagefromiOS(12).thumb.jpg.ea686f342cec6e37532edd46f5e98330.jpg

627518562_ImagefromiOS(11).thumb.jpg.c103908990c5fa5a34f65d6b25f8365d.jpg

445483670_ImagefromiOS(10).thumb.jpg.722057087ec5c66720055d56bf77edfd.jpg

Tool roll that I had before mounted nicely using the straps it already had

634109819_ImagefromiOS(4).thumb.jpg.9145898bd2fa1894d9cab94c7bdc5b06.jpg

For the other items mounted I bought a couple of Molle bags that have straps that snap on, then bought a big roll of velcro tape for the others

505969810_ImagefromiOS(3).thumb.jpg.8b4c91588b7effe10d759be099708e8b.jpg

Now everything is out of the way, the golf clubs and groceries can go in the back with out a problem, and all the wasted space is being used for something.

Air compressor went on the other side. Behind the shelf I have a come along, tow straps, socket set, tire repair kit, AC converter along with some bungee cords. Hanging I have tool roll, first aid kit, flashlight, hammer, tape, big wrench. tow rope, molle bags with small parts/nuts/bolts/light bulbs etc.

Links:

Shelves - $20

https://www.containerstore.com/s/platinum-elfa-ventilated-wire-shelves/d?q=Wire+Shelves&productId=10006045

Threaded rod - $7.80

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081MH24VB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bolts $5.89

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QPF8Z2F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finger bolts - $10.99

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6BGHL1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Molle Pouch 2 pack - $11.99

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GKPTDXD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Velcro tape - $18.99

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZ38HPT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tool Roll $19.40

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GK4U208/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Total cost all in - $95

Total cost for just the brackets $44.68. I have enough parts to do the other side, just need another shelf, so $20 more and I'll have both sides.

Compare the $65 I spent to the  $283 at orangeboxx and I think this is a winner.

You say you are a cheap ass so this may go unheeded, but I’d buy a few auto lock carabiners from rock exotica and one or two screw lock ones as well. Very versatile for camping, rigging, and emergency use.  I’d link one but there are different shapes and styles. About $20 per. The auto locks have a breaking strength of about 6000 lbs with the gate closed, and the screw locks are even stronger, and then the steel ones are basically bombproof but heavier and more expensive. 

DMM Ceros Locksafe Carabiner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078X39RXK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KZMN7MD5YCRX5D14CRVR

i use this to hold my keys. It’s a belay carabiner and the internal spring clip is meant to keep the belay line properly oriented in it, but it works great for keeping the key rings all together on one side.  And I have it on my person basically all the time.  It is a little large if you keep your keys in your pocket much of the day though. When we have the camper, just throw on the camper key ring. Etc. 

4 hours ago, blacklab said:

They claim the cross pattern where the handle meets the head is good for hammering. 

Well it looks badass enough that it’s worth having even if it’s not completely functional.

The funniest thing about my fire starter, which is more of a round stick rather than what I posted above, is that it’s been attached to my backpack on a carabiner along with a compass, and has been through at least 10 different airports without getting confiscated.  They don’t even know what it is.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 2:28 PM, blacklab said:

Yeah. I saw those reviews too and that was the second biggest reason after price to not order from there. May look into going to one of those maker places with cnc machines to make the sides right but this works for now.

Out of curiosity how bad are the blind spots now since you added that? It looks great though

I saw that.  Insane.  27year old vehicle with only 1000 miles and a cult following is going to be a niche item but that’s ridiculous.  Half that price would get a refurb just as nice and modernized. I love those old 80 series. I just read where the engineers designing the new 300 series LC were using the 80 as a benchmark for the off road metrics.  There wasn’t much meat to the article but it’s cool to see them give a nod to the 80.