Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

Got rid of my first day order Bronco Badlands and replaced it with a 4Runner Off Road Premium.  No ragrets.

I had been planning on buying a hard top for the Bronco. This issue is Ford doesn't sell one. Instead, you have to buy all the components and have the service center assemble it. The cost ranges from $10,000-$16,000. Fuck that.  There are 3 outfitters selling pre-orders for their hard tops, all of which are far superior to the OEM hard top.  The issue there is they've been taking pre-orders for over a year and have not delivered one hard top. No way I'm dropping $7,000 on vaporware.

I decided I can't do another summer with the soft top. The Bronco was basically unusable since the temp inside would never drop below 85-90 degrees.  Add in the road noise and all the goddamn rattling of the modular construction and I was done.  I'm also glad to be done with all the technology.  There's been a dozen recalls already on the Bronco. It's nice not having all that shit. I've got Sirius XM and Car Play.  I don't really need any other shit.

• Like 1

I'm kicking around the idea of getting my son a FJ for his first car. My first car was a '91 4Runner and I had an '03 Taco as well. I drove the 4Runner until it had 200k miles and started to have engine issues/lose compression. I drove the Taco for 130k and only got rid of it because we started having kids and I needed more space.

My question is, how many miles are too many when looking at a used 'Yota? The FJs have really held their value and there isn't that much savings for one with 200k vs. 125k miles.

Opinions?

4 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I'm kicking around the idea of getting my son a FJ for his first car. My first car was a '91 4Runner and I had an '03 Taco as well. I drove the 4Runner until it had 200k miles and started to have engine issues/lose compression. I drove the Taco for 130k and only got rid of it because we started having kids and I needed more space.

My question is, how many miles are too many when looking at a used 'Yota? The FJs have really held their value and there isn't that much savings for one with 200k vs. 125k miles.

Opinions?

@Anton Chigurh to the white courtesy phone.

Also @blacklab to the white courtesy phone.

Never owned a Cruiser, but if it's the 4.0 V6 (I'm pretty sure it is) then really all you need to worry about is how well it was taken care of. Those Motors are pretty damn bulletproof if taken care of. Miss mine from my 11 Taco.

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Hook 'Em 1

Timely thread bump.  Took the 4Runner to Toyota for oil change and state inspection - at least I saved $40 on the oil change vs Firestone.  Asked them to look at 2 other things while it was there - brakes and the door lock button on the driver door wasn't actually locking the doors - it made the noise, but the door would still open so I could only lock w/ the key fob.  They wanted $730 to fix the lock, and on top of that, the parts wouldn't be in until the next day.  Fuck that noise, I'll just live w/ the inconvenience.  

56 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Opinions?

FJ is a good first car. It's slow so it should keep the speeding in check, and it's amazingly safe. One FJ got rammed by multiple semi trucks going around 60 during the ice storm a few years ago in FW and the driver lived. 

I bought mine with 125k miles, have put 13k on in a year and a half and have only had one issue I had to take to the shop, a transfer case leak that cost $2k to fix. There's several posts in the FJ forum about guys not having it in the shop till 200k+ miles. The ones I looked at with >200k miles all seemed worn out compared to the one I got.

The big thing you need to watch out for is rust. Toyota had some issues around that time with the coating on the frames. The 2010 I bought was from Canada and was rusting out. I had just totaled my 4runner and hurt my back so I didn't crawl under it when I bought it. I crawled completely under my 2012. Dealer thought I was nuts when he saw me completely under the truck crawling around. I took the 2010 to a body shop to get the frame/underside sand blasted and repainted and he crawled under and 5 seconds later came back up and said "sell it now".  I bought it for $21k, drove it for a year and a half and sold it for $18 to a dealer. I saw it listed at a used car lot in Phoenix for $25k. I bought the 2012 for $28k, but it had a few thousand in addons including bumpers, roof rack and a winch. 

Later year models have more features and off road options than the older ones. If I totaled this one I'd look for a 2012-2014 with around 100k miles. If I was buying one for my kid I'd probably be ok with a 2007-2010 with 200k on it. Should run fine and have a once a year or so starter/alternator/fluid leak that will set you back $500-$1000. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Timely thread bump.  Took the 4Runner to Toyota for oil change and state inspection - at least I saved $40 on the oil change vs Firestone.  Asked them to look at 2 other things while it was there - brakes and the door lock button on the driver door wasn't actually locking the doors - it made the noise, but the door would still open so I could only lock w/ the key fob.  They wanted $730 to fix the lock, and on top of that, the parts wouldn't be in until the next day.  Fuck that noise, I'll just live w/ the inconvenience.  

I actually have the Master Power Window door lock thing if you need it. It's for 2010-2015 4runner. Had a similar issue on my 4 runner but it wasn't the part I needed.

Opinions?

Pretty much what blacklab said, though 2010 is when the upgrades happened, so 07-09 vs 2010+.

I’d try for the lowest mileage 2010+ in the price range, but as already stated, make sure it’s not rusty.

Mine has 148k and none of the Toyota parts have broken. I’ve upgraded the suspension, but no failures or leaks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The new Landcruiser 58 trim will start at ~ 57.5K:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46868011/2024-toyota-land-cruiser-price/

2024-toyota-land-cruiser-1958-004-64c92d3f646f0.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.847xh;0,0.0918xh&resize=1200:*

So, just a tad higher than the “mid 50s” rumor, but not horrible. I am wondering how many actual options there will be, or if it will be similar to the older models where they have very few non-standard options.

So far I think the known ones are leather, tech package, and swaybar disconnects?

So, just a tad higher than the “mid 50s” rumor, but not horrible. I am wondering how many actual options there will be, or if it will be similar to the older models where they have very few non-standard options.

So far I think the known ones are leather, tech package, and swaybar disconnects?

It does seem like this is about it.

So the Land Cruiser trim of course has the different headlights, plus multi terrain select and swaybar disconnect standard, then you have 20” wheels, a moonroof, and the premium package (includes leather) as options. That seems to be it (not including accessories).

The base 1958 is only available in black, silver, or white, and has zero options outside of accessories (roof rack and rock rails are included here).

https://www.toyota.com/configurator/build/step/model/year/2024/series/landcruiser/?bap_guid=004901b1-eaf0-4e60-9897-f2f98918c550
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, blacklab said:

FJ is a good first car. It's slow so it should keep the speeding in check, and it's amazingly safe. One FJ got rammed by multiple semi trucks going around 60 during the ice storm a few years ago in FW and the driver lived. 

I bought mine with 125k miles, have put 13k on in a year and a half and have only had one issue I had to take to the shop, a transfer case leak that cost $2k to fix. There's several posts in the FJ forum about guys not having it in the shop till 200k+ miles. The ones I looked at with >200k miles all seemed worn out compared to the one I got.

The big thing you need to watch out for is rust. Toyota had some issues around that time with the coating on the frames. The 2010 I bought was from Canada and was rusting out. I had just totaled my 4runner and hurt my back so I didn't crawl under it when I bought it. I crawled completely under my 2012. Dealer thought I was nuts when he saw me completely under the truck crawling around. I took the 2010 to a body shop to get the frame/underside sand blasted and repainted and he crawled under and 5 seconds later came back up and said "sell it now".  I bought it for $21k, drove it for a year and a half and sold it for $18 to a dealer. I saw it listed at a used car lot in Phoenix for $25k. I bought the 2012 for $28k, but it had a few thousand in addons including bumpers, roof rack and a winch. 

Later year models have more features and off road options than the older ones. If I totaled this one I'd look for a 2012-2014 with around 100k miles. If I was buying one for my kid I'd probably be ok with a 2007-2010 with 200k on it. Should run fine and have a once a year or so starter/alternator/fluid leak that will set you back $500-$1000. 

How bad was the rust on your '10? This one on BAT is currently sitting at $4,900 but the rust underneath looks atrocious.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-toyota-fj-cruiser-116/

2007_toyota_fj-cruiser_IMG_1158-1-61234.

2007_toyota_fj-cruiser_IMG_1157-1-61230.

Way worse than that, rust on every bolt under the truck. 
I wouldn’t buy that, even if it was for a kid and expected to be totaled in 3 years. It’s going to have issues with the brakes, power steering and other little things

• Hook 'Em 1

They've usually made up for the lack of choices by having unique colors and high quality paint. In this case, who knows? I still think the idea of a hybrid LC starting in the $50s is bad ass and look forward to the new model. I may even buy one in five or ten years once my 200 series needs a new home. 

I've driven a 55, 2 80s, a 100 and a 200. Nothing but LCs for me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2