Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

Hate to say that it will probably be close to that number.  I had to do just the front bumper on my 2001 4Runner. Same as yours - chrome version. About 1500 for parts and labor. I looked everywhere for a used bumper and the chrome ones don't exist except in junkyards after a collision.  Mine only had a 5mph dent from a teenage drier. Yours has a lot more frame damage and hood and fenders.  Glad everyone is OK.

Well, with bad weather rolling in, we parked Mrs. CHIEF's GS-F and my white 4x4 F350 in the shop and brought out Mrs. CHIEF's old car, or "Hoopty" as she calls it. 253k miles and is still the best 4x4 we have ever owned. She will never be sold. 2003 V8 4Runner:

Hoopty2.png

Hoopty1.png

Bought her new in 2003. Pushbutton locking diff, full time AWD. This is the kind of weather where she shines.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, blacklab said:

maybe.

just have liability so I'm paying for it.

If I can get it fixed for a few thousand I will, over 4k and I'll be looking for something different.

That sucks BL. This guy is in DFW, but generally has a ton of parts if you are tracking anything down to repair it.

http://www.4runnerhouse.com

Joey owns and runs it and he is great to deal with. 

Thanks topo.

Wife has a few friends who's husbands have body shops. Sent some pictures off this morning.

Getting estimates on straitening out the frame, hood and front quarter panel and just getting it running. If I can just get it good enough to pull the boat to the lake and back l'll be happy and get something else for everyday driving. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Well, with bad weather rolling in, we parked Mrs. CHIEF's GS-F and my white 4x4 F350 in the shop and brought out Mrs. CHIEF's old car, or "Hoopty" as she calls it. 253k miles and is still the best 4x4 we have ever owned. She will never be sold. 2003 V8 4Runner:

Hoopty2.png

Hoopty1.png

Bought her new in 2003. Pushbutton locking diff, full time AWD. This is the kind of weather where she shines.

CHIEF

Heres one close to yours.2004 Toyota 4-Runner power windows power locks cruise, garage kept, 155K,, excellent condition, $6800spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/13/2021 at 1:54 PM, blacklab said:

maybe.

just have liability so I'm paying for it.

If I can get it fixed for a few thousand I will, over 4k and I'll be looking for something different.

It's totaled. You should start looking for a used 4Runner. It's got over 4k in body damage. It will need a new radiator, new engine, new mounts, and the frame is bent/broken and may not even be repairable. Good luck with your neck.

On 2/15/2021 at 5:11 PM, blacklab said:

Thanks for shitting on my parade BHM

Everybody talk me out of buying this 2010 FJ

00C0C_3eXpnugtkaLz_0jm0ew_600x450.jpg

Sorry pal. I had a 40th Anniversary FZJ80, OME lift, ARB bullbar with winch, locking diffs, BFG MTs. It looked like a ARB or Slee catalog. Anyway, the engine blew the HG mid summer going up a long hill and by the time I knew it was hot, had cracked the block. I loved that truck, but I had to move on.

It's like losing a beloved dog. You have to get a puppy. Buy the FJ Cruiser. If you don't like it you can sell it for close to what you paid (or maybe even more).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:

Sorry pal. I had a 40th Anniversary FZJ80, OME lift, ARB bullbar with winch, locking diffs, BFG MTs. It looked like a ARB or Slee catalog. Anyway, the engine blew the HG mid summer going up a long hill and by the time I knew it was hot, had cracked the block. I loved that truck, but I had to move on.

It's like losing a beloved dog. You have to get a puppy. Buy the FJ Cruiser. If you don't like it you can sell it for close to what you paid (or maybe even more).

What did you replace the 80 with?

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

What did you replace the 80 with?

This was all in about the last four years or so. The 80 had 225k on it (it was my second 80 series after the 1994 I got new and sold with 235k on it so I could buy the 1997) and the idea of putting in a new engine (even a rebuild) plus everything else I would have needed to do to justify putting that much into a used truck was just not palatable. 

I miss it every day.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

This was all in about the last four years or so. The 80 had 225k on it (it was my second 80 series after the 1994 I got new and sold with 235k on it so I could buy the 1997) and the idea of putting in a new engine (even a rebuild) plus everything else I would have needed to do to justify putting that much into a used truck was just not palatable. 

I miss it every day.

I can see missing an 80 offroad, but the 200s are just so nice on the road it's not even comparable.  They're really not even comparable to 100s.  I love my 100 but it's not in the same ballpark as the new one.

42 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I can see missing an 80 offroad, but the 200s are just so nice on the road it's not even comparable.  They're really not even comparable to 100s.  I love my 100 but it's not in the same ballpark as the new one.

I understand but I drove nothing but an 80 series for nearly 25 years. The 200 series is excellent but it's a pale, pale comparison off-road, and the thing I really liked about the my old truck was knowing that I could get anywhere I wanted. Snow/mud/rock, no problem, drive 90 MPH to get there, no problem, etc.

The 200 is missing some of that.

1 minute ago, BHMCruiser said:

I understand but I drove nothing but an 80 series for nearly 25 years. The 200 series is excellent but it's a pale, pale comparison off-road, and the thing I really liked about the my old truck was knowing that I could get anywhere I wanted. Snow/mud/rock, no problem, drive 90 MPH to get there, no problem, etc.

The 200 is missing some of that.

I think you're just not pushing it hard enough.  200s can do some pretty amazing things.  They're not triple locked 80s, but what is, with the possible exception of an Aston DBX?  Where can't you get to in a 200?  You're talking about some sketchy shit (as well as armor, a lift, 35s, and probably lockers/regearing) at that point.

27 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I think you're just not pushing it hard enough.  200s can do some pretty amazing things.  They're not triple locked 80s, but what is, with the possible exception of an Aston DBX?  Where can't you get to in a 200?  You're talking about some sketchy shit (as well as armor, a lift, 35s, and probably lockers/regearing) at that point.

I need to figure it out some. I'm going to put some more aggressive tires on it and then go from there. Most of where I drive offroad is very hilly, very slippery red clay/mud. Few passenger vehicles handle it well, but the 80 certainly did. The "features" on the 200, like TRAC, are built for other terrain and I need to figure out how to get around their impulse to cut power to stop wheel spin, etc. Sometimes you just need the gas.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

I need to figure it out some. I'm going to put some more aggressive tires on it and then go from there. Most of where I drive offroad is very hilly, very slippery red clay/mud. Few passenger vehicles handle it well, but the 80 certainly did. The "features" on the 200, like TRAC, are built for other terrain and I need to figure out how to get around their impulse to cut power to stop wheel spin, etc. Sometimes you just need the gas.

TRAC system only engages in 4L correct?  

Guess mine is different. When I try to engage TRAC with the terrain select knob in 4H I get a message on the instrument panel thats says change to 4L first. When in 4H the system won’t engage. 

I can put it in 4L. Select terrain from TRAC, then shift back to 4H and the terrain icon remains on in the cluster. The TRAC icon will not come on at all for me in 4H, just the dash message to switch to 4L. (2018). ????

Edited by ChickenSandwich

16 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Guess mine is different. When I try to engage TRAC with the terrain select knob in 4H I get a message on the instrument panel thats says change to 4L first. When in 4H the system won’t engage. 

I can put it in 4L. Select terrain from TRAC, then shift back to 4H and the terrain icon remains on in the cluster. The TRAC icon will not come on at all for me in 4H, just the dash message to switch to 4L. (2018). ????

Are you talking about DAC (Downhill Assist Control)? I think you have to be in 4L for it to work. Not familiar with TRAC, but I haven't driven our 4Runner regularly for 3-4 years.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

I have Multi Terrain select Mud,snow,gravel,moguls, dirt etc. also have crawl control, Active Traction Control and locking diff and DAC.  All features except DAC require 4L to engage. 

*apparently multi terrain can be selected for certain modes in 4H (mud/sand, not rock mogul or mud/.) Learn something every day

Edited by ChickenSandwich

10 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I have Multi Terrain select Mud,snow,gravel,moguls, dirt etc. also have crawl control, Active Traction Control and locking diff and DAC.  All features except DAC require 4L to engage. 

*apparently multi terrain can be selected for certain modes in 4H (mud/sand, not rock mogul or mud/.) Learn something every day

TRAC is the skid control. The button to turn it off is in the instrument panel to the left of the steering column. 

On 2/15/2021 at 5:11 PM, blacklab said:

Thanks for shitting on my parade BHM

Everybody talk me out of buying this 2010 FJ

00C0C_3eXpnugtkaLz_0jm0ew_600x450.jpg

I've got a buddy that has one and tows his fishing skiff with it. He says every time he has to back the trailer down to get the boat out he curses it and swears he's going to get rid of it for something with better sight lines for backing a trailer. Apparently you can't see an empty trailer at all backing it down the ramp. I guess the newer ones with a rearview camera help, but I'd have to retrain my brain to look at a screen and not over my shoulder. 

23 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

I'm sure MUD can help you out.  I'd ask there first.  Have you tried locking the center diff first?

Edited by Chewbacca

My 200 series LC (2013) was a life saver in this bullshit weather.  Wife has been skeptical of keeping it long term as a daily, esp. since we could get so much for it these days.  That of course all changed when I was able to secure a large quantity of chardonnay from the lone open liquor store in the area. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2