Illinois fires Lovie Smith, hires Bret Bielema

texifornia

14 hours ago, Blotto said:

Well played Bert, you stupid fat fuck. Leaves the best team in the Big 10 West after 3 rose bowls because he felt the need to "spread his wings" which must be code for getting fat. now he's back in the Big 10 West signing on with basically the worst team. 

This link is great because you can see bert's mass and hence gravitational force increase year by year. He's heading towards Mangino territory. 

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/football/college-football-the-rise-and-fall-of-bret-bielema/collection_9261b19c-7f55-5927-bae2-8e15542fe31d.html#1

Also no bert thread is complete without 

Jen-Bielema-bikini.jpg 

Not one single curve on her...Gross lol

I think Bielma is a damn good fit for them. Illinois actually should be a decent job, their state is not totally barren of talent and it’s a good school. I know next to nothing of what kind of resources they give the program but the Lovie Smith hire seems to indicate they want to win.  No reason they can’t be a Wisconsin type B1G also ran. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/20/2020 at 8:54 AM, nnm said:

It’s like they’ve captured the essence of the life of the typical surly poster. 

hey fuck you  - I resemble that remark 😂😂😂

but it is awesome to have Bert back in the B1G,aaaa where he went from coaching a front-running program to trying to resurrect a dead program. The Illini have gone 41-68 over the last decade, including 7-6 in 2011.

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

All joking aside, why? Unless they got the guy on the cheap, which I seriously doubt. They are the perfect school to try the same thing K-State did. Grab a successful coach from the lower ranks and give him a shot.

Because of Bert's Big Ten record and history. Look at how well he did at Wisconsin. 12-1 his first season in 2006, then later on he won 3 straight Big Ten titles in 2010, 2011, and 2012.  

On 12/20/2020 at 6:41 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

I think Bielma is a damn good fit for them. Illinois actually should be a decent job, their state is not totally barren of talent and it’s a good school. I know next to nothing of what kind of resources they give the program but the Lovie Smith hire seems to indicate they want to win.  No reason they can’t be a Wisconsin type B1G also ran. 

They should be going to low level bowls at least every year, and a big one once a decade or something.  Grew up in Illinois.  Never understood with the wealthy alumni and Chicago how the program could be so consistently poor.

26 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Because of Bert's Big Ten record and history. Look at how well he did at Wisconsin. 12-1 his first season in 2006, then later on he won 3 straight Big Ten titles in 2010, 2011, and 2012.  

You sort of proved my point. His initial success came right after Alvarez stepped down. Years 2010-12 were the transition years between Tressal and Urban. His Rose bowl teams were awful, and he is the only Wisky coach to lose back to back Rose Bowls. And Jesus his Arkansas teams were really bad. 

When faced against equal competition, his teams folded.

28 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

You sort of proved my point. His initial success came right after Alvarez stepped down. Years 2010-12 were the transition years between Tressal and Urban. His Rose bowl teams were awful, and he is the only Wisky coach to lose back to back Rose Bowls. And Jesus his Arkansas teams were really bad. 

To lose 3 straight Rose bowls lol 

On 12/20/2020 at 9:22 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

Hardy played in the mid-90s. 

They also made a Rose Bowl after the 2007 season when Ohio State got kicked upstairs to the LSU Invitational in New Orleans. 

That team had some badass LBs. Hardy, Howard and Rice.

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Not exactly.

His 2010 team was anything but awful. Beat #1 Ohio State by two touchdowns, scored 70 or more 3 times, defense anchored by a guy named JJ Watt, all 5 offensive lineman were drafted and played in the NFL, and they were ranked 4th in the AP heading into the Rose Bowl game vs TCU.  

39 minutes ago, kegman said:

That team had some badass LBs. Hardy, Howard and Rice.

They sure did. John Holocek was really good too. Bucky Godbolt talks about how the Ohio State teams they used to beat back then had a lot more "first off the bus guys", guys that you see and you're like "ho lee fuk", and maybe that's true, but I never felt like Illinois was at that much of a talent disadvantage. They generally had better quarterbacks and they had their share of badasses on the defensive side of the ball. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2020 at 9:17 AM, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

did anybody see Mangino's last game at DKR?  I was there, he literally walked onto the field 5 minutes before his players because he walked so slow he'd hold things up if he came out with the team.

More like he was afraid he and the team would get stuck in the tunnel and they would have to forfeit. 

• 6 months later...