Florida star Keyontae Johnson collapses on the court- in critical condition

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

A little quick to point the finger at covid, unless doctors or his family have said something to that effect. 

Yeah. Who knows. Stuff like this happened plenty before covid came around. I haven't seen an uptick in athletes suddenly collapsing after having covid.

29 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

In 1990, Hank Gaithers of Loyola Marymount died on the court.  Underlying heart condition.  Hadn't watched this in decades.  Brutal.

I’m gonna pass.  Didn’t watch the video of the current incident, and no desire to watch this again.

• Like 1

In all probability, he has the same thing Hank Gathers had, and we just deal with it better now.  We, as a society, have decided that having life-saving medical equipment at sporting events is a good thing and worth the cost.  My FIL has the same thing and he has a pacemaker implanted in his chest.

Better news... Conscious, and even Facetimed with his team... 😁 

Florida star Keyontae Johnson able to speak after collapsing during game 

Florida forward Keyontae Johnson is speaking with family members and doctors and was even able to FaceTime his teammates on Tuesday, his parents said in a statement released by the school.

Nika and Marrecus Johnson added that they “feel so much love and support from everyone.”

“We’re beyond grateful for the care and attention that Keyontae has received throughout these past several days,” they said.

Johnson remains in stable condition in hospital. He collapsed on the court during a game at Florida State on Saturday. He was moved to Gainesville via helicopter Monday with his mother by his side.

“We will continue to share updates about Keyontae‘s health and progress,” his parents said. “We have seen how much people love and care for him. We hope people recognize that information that doesn’t come from us or the athletic department may not be accurate.

“We are working closely with Keyontae‘s doctors and the UAA to provide information to everyone who cares so deeply about Keyontae and has been praying for him.”

USA Today on Monday quoted Johnson’s grandfather, Larry DeJarnett, as saying the player had been in a medically induced coma.

The Southeastern Conference’s preseason player of the year crumpled to the floor coming out a timeout and received emergency medical attention. He was moved to a stretcher and carried to a waiting ambulance as teammates, coaches, staff, fans and others watched in disbelief.

ESPN declined to show video of the incident. According to witnesses, Johnson was standing and suddenly fell forward and landed on his face. His eyes were open and he had blood on his face and neck, according to photos obtained by the Gainesville Sun.

Johnson averaged a team-high 14 points last season to go along with 7.1 rebounds. He also led the Gators with 38 steals.

Like many of his Florida teammates, Johnson tested positive for Covid-19 during the summer. Although the cause of Johnson’s collapse has not been revealed, the coronavirus can lead to myocarditis, a viral infection of the heart muscle. At its most severe, myocarditis can lead to sudden cardiac arrest and has been a documented cause of death for young, otherwise healthy athletes.

The SEC mandates strict protocols, including rigorous heart testing, before players can be cleared to return to play following positive Covid-19 tests.

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The SEC mandates strict protocols, including rigorous heart testing, before players can be cleared to return to play following positive Covid-19 tests.

Let's hope that he actually underwent that testing. I'm sure the SEC "mandates" plenty of shit that flies under the radar.

On 12/16/2020 at 11:12 AM, conVINCEd said:

In all probability, he has the same thing Hank Gathers had, and we just deal with it better now.  

I wonder about this. The most common post-COVID cardiac concern is post-COVID myocarditis. From what I've read, it seems like the majority of myocarditis cases have symptoms shortly after infection. I haven't been able to find data on the incidence of myocarditis starting after recovery of symptoms or if initially asymptomatic. Because of that, I don't know how likely it is that he would be suffering from an extreme symptom of myocarditis this far out from his COVID diagnosis if he wasn't previously having symptoms.

Anyway, with all of that being said, I would imagine that any post-COVID screenings for myocarditis would include an echocardiogram and/or a cardiac MRI (which would be easy to do at a major academic hospital). Either one of these two studies should pick up findings that are common in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, which I believe is what Hank Gathers had.

Actually, now that I think about it, a combination of EKG, Echo, and Cardiac MRI should pick up the majority of things that would cause something like this. So I'm curious if we'll ever hear the diagnosis or what their screenings include/were they done.

https://www.gatorsports.com/story/basketball/2020/12/22/florida-gators-keyontae-johnson-has-season-ending-heart-issue/4006117001/

Following the collapse that left Johnson unresponsive, he was transferred last Monday from Tallahassee Memorial to UF Health in Gainesville, where an MRI on his heart led to a diagnosis of acute myocarditis, according to a person with first-hand knowledge. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensibility of the situation.

At Florida, we do an EKG and an echo on every athlete that comes to us, so we have that on record already. So if someone gets COVID, and we repeat this cardiac workup, we are able to compare back to what they were when they came in as a freshman or transfer here. So we have a pretty good idea if there were any changes,” Florida team physician, Dr. Jay Clugston, told TV20 in August. “There does seem to be more cases or cardiac effects from this virus than maybe we have seen from others, although, we are looking a lot more closely than we have in the past. I think all of us are cautious about it.”

While Johnson’s acute myocarditis can’t be definitively linked to his COVID diagnosis, it could prompt the SEC and other conferences to further test athletes who have contracted the virus on concern the inflammation could develop later. Miami starting safety Al Blades Jr. was diagnosed with post-COVID myocarditis earlier this month after receiving a cardiac MRI, and concerns over the condition factored into the initial decision by the Big Ten, Pac-12 and other leagues to postpone fall sports. 

Not great.

I assumed they were already checking athletes for myocarditis. But this passage makes it seem like the practice is still under review:

While Johnson’s acute myocarditis can’t be definitively linked to his COVID diagnosis, it could prompt the SEC and other conferences to further test athletes who have contracted the virus on concern theinflammation could develop later.

Reading between the lines here, but it looks like Mo Bamba just got cleared of the same sort of issues months after getting COVID back in the spring.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/magics-mo-bamba-clear-of-injury-report/

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

• 1 month later...