Driving me crazy. Mirroring HBO Max to tv via HDMI

Knoxtnhorn

I've got the HBO Max app now on my Chromebook.  

When I watch a show on the Chromebook as is, it works just fine.

When I connect the Chromebook to an HDMI cable to feed onto my tv, the screen mirrors perfectly.  As soon as I go to an HBO Max show and press play, I get neither video nor sound on both the tv AND the Chromebook. The movie is actually playing as I can see the time ticking off on the scroll at the bottom.  

What's even more odd is that I pulled up a YouTube video to troubleshoot.  I get the video, but no sound.  As soon as I pull the HDMI cable out of my Chromebook, both HBO Max and YouTube work perfectly.

Suggestions?

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I've got the HBO Max app now on my Chromebook.  

When I watch a show on the Chromebook as is, it works just fine.

When I connect the Chromebook to an HDMI cable to feed onto my tv, the screen mirrors perfectly.  As soon as I go to an HBO Max show and press play, I get neither video nor sound on both the tv AND the Chromebook. The movie is actually playing as I can see the time ticking off on the scroll at the bottom.  

What's even more odd is that I pulled up a YouTube video to troubleshoot.  I get the video, but no sound.  As soon as I pull the HDMI cable out of my Chromebook, both HBO Max and YouTube work perfectly.

Suggestions?

Have you tried not mirroring but just using the tv as a single display? Some of that copy protection stuff likely in play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, beer said:

Has anyone managed to just cast it to a tv?  I cant get that working either.  Are they preventing this on purpose?

HBO Max is available on Android, Android TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, iOS, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Samsung smart TV platforms (from 2016 and onward — in fact, the “new” app is actually just an update to the existing HBO Now apps on those platforms). There’s also a desktop web player for streaming on Mac, Windows, and Chromebook devices.

Notably missing from that list: Amazon’s Fire TV and Roku, neither of which can access HBO Max. (Both platforms do offer HBO Now apps, but they haven’t been updated to HBO Max and can’t access the additional content).

https://www.theverge.com/21272223/hbo-max-app-how-to-watch-download-price-subscription-stream-shows

we have a tcl roku tv, and cannot make it work either. stupid fucking problem to have.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 1:13 PM, hayden_horn said:

https://www.theverge.com/21272223/hbo-max-app-how-to-watch-download-price-subscription-stream-shows

we have a tcl roku tv, and cannot make it work either. stupid fucking problem to have.

We have a TCL Roku TV and the HBO Max app showed up a week or so ago. Maybe give it a look or search to see if you can add it.