Are we going to do a Bowl Pick'em Contest this year?

BigOrange1

21 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Can we ban that one dude who shows up every year to lecture everyone else about their strategy?

No shit.  Not sure if it's the same guy every year, but he comes out about halfway through the bowls criticizing strategy.   I guess picking them all correctly and assigning them points based on your confidence requires some advanced rocket surgery.  I'm pretty sure he has never won either. 

14 hours ago, PhillyD said:

No shit.  Not sure if it's the same guy every year, but he comes out about halfway through the bowls criticizing strategy.   I guess picking them all correctly and assigning them points based on your confidence requires some advanced rocket surgery.  I'm pretty sure he has never won either. 

My wife picks based on mascots. And doesn’t do poorly. 

• Haha 1

If you lose big early, you’re not supposed change your picks in later games or something because picking the favorites like everybody else will make up little ground...I think that’s what I debated with him about one year

i think this is going to be a relatively small contest this year, but i'm still down if you guys are.  if it stays at fewer than 10 people, i say we just make it winner take all ($25 entry).

and i think we should have a gentleman's agreement that at least 24 of the 29 games have to be played in order for this thing to be valid.

if you're gonna play, just go in and auto fill your picks that way your entry will be ready to go tomorrow.  you can always move up/down in confidence points and change the picks on the days of the actual games.  but with the first game being tomorrow (2:30), it's a good idea to at least get your entry submitted.

i can handle the money since its not going to be a huge group.  i can do venmo, paypal and apple pay (that is my order of preference as to how payments are sent).  just PM me with your preferred method of payment and i'll get you the info.

also it looks like there are already 12 entries.  if we get to 15 i say we do a 70/30 split between first and second place.  if we get to 30 we can do a 50/30/20 split between the top 3.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Are there any objections to me allowing the Doomlet (he's five) to participate in the money league? 

I give my word that I won't use a second entry to engage in any funny business, but if anyone doesn't like the possibility, then I will not pay an entry fee for him and will just let him think he's fully participating. 

He's currently 20th of 23 in our weekly NFL Pick 'Em, so this is probably just more money for the pot... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am in for the $25 pool because I apparently enjoy donating to you people. I tried to change my handle to reflect that and ESPN wouldn't keep the save. Their UX fucking blows and I got tired of trying to sort it out, so just memorialize this post as me participating in the $25. I'll PM OP shortly.

To add to my annual complaints about ESPN's shitful user experience, there's apparently no way to just straight up reset all your picks to being blank/unpicked/unranked once you use one of their autofill options. 

I plugged in the "most popular" picks as a placeholder last night, and it's a fucking beating to try to undo while completing them in earnest. 

One fun feature is that when you reassign a ranking, all the other rankings shuffle around accordingly, so you can never really rearrange things all at once - it's like a fucking Dutch Boy and the Dyke situation (and not the good kind...) 

I may end up just deleting my entry and rejoining so I can start from scratch, so let that be a cautionary tale for everyone else... 

Edit: it appears that you can't delete an entry and start over because of course you can't. Each user ID is allowed two entries, so use them wisely. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

On 12/13/2020 at 7:34 PM, BigOrange1 said:

...because unbeknownst to me before about 30 seconds ago, bowl season starts this saturday.

http://fantasy.espn.com/college-bowl-mania/2020/en/group?groupID=278966

password is: werefucked

$25 entry, PM me for venmo, cashapp or paypal.

don't mention gambling in the message, just put surly.

Fuck it...

Might as well blow $25 on here vs more Christmas crap