Tonsillectomy as an adult

Have any of y’all gotten your tonsils taken out as an adult? I know it’s a pretty minor procedure for children but I’ve heard the recovery is actually pretty miserable for adults. Long story short I have to have thus procedure done at the start of the new year. For those that have been through it, what should I expect?

My daughter had it done but she was like 21?  We worried some about the stories and while I am sure it can be a bitch, she didn't think it was that bad, just a day or two of real discomfort and by day three on her way about her business except for eating.

IF it were me I would pig out a bit as you will lose some weight.  Find some soft foods or goo for calories. I was going to say milkshakes but for some reason I think they forbid straws (probably pressure related for the stitches).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

You talking about the pain, or was there some type of complications with the surgery?

Post op complications. When the nurse removed the suction tube she was kind of rough about it and I started bleeding. Nearly drowned on my own blood. That was a sight to wake up to. Fun fact, it was the same room my Grandfather passed away in. Small town hospitals were sketchy in the 70's.

6 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Have any of y’all gotten your tonsils taken out as an adult? I know it’s a pretty minor procedure for children but I’ve heard the recovery is actually pretty miserable for adults. Long story short I have to have thus procedure done at the start of the new year. For those that have been through it, what should I expect?

You have it right. A couple weeks of not so fun.

6 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

So when you say no fun, were you able to resume regular activities? Trying to figure out when it transitions from being intolerable to just a minor annoyance as far as recovery goes.

I still have my tonsils - I have a very close family member who is an ENT. You will be able to go to work after 3 days but no exercise and limited speaking and soft foods. With just about anything, the second to third day are the worst and then improvement each day until it is healed in 10-14 days.

• Like 2

I had a tonsillectomy when I was 25 years old and thank G-d I did. I rarely get a sore throat anymore and when I do it’s not a very big deal. Recovery was not too terrible. Took a week or so. I thought I had completely recovered a few days later and I went out to a bar and took some sort of citrusy shot, lemon drop or some crap, and that burned like an MF. Besides that I don’t remember any big problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/15/2020 at 5:33 AM, Bevo said:

With just about anything, the second to third day are the worst and then improvement each day until it is healed in 10-14 days.

I was gonna say 2 weeks, but @Bevo wrapped it up.

Edited by RPM
link fail

1 hour ago, Walte464 said:

Had it done at 22, was fuckin miserable the first week. Tons of pain meds, sleep and soft foods. Got back to going on week 2 but i wasn’t doing anything 100% for at least 2 weeks.

I read this to my wife and she laughed her ass off.  Near death birth, with 8+ pound baby, and passing some freaky as fuck softball sized clot out of her torn and then sewn up privates after being the case study in neonatal the day before.  She was walking 3 miles a day in like a week.  

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

I read this to my wife and she laughed her ass off.  Near death birth, with 8+ pound baby, and passing some freaky as fuck softball sized clot out of her torn and then sewn up privates after being the case study in neonatal the day before.  She was walking 3 miles a day in like a week.  

That’s awesome to hear, pour her a glass of bourbon for me. Not everyone recovers the same on every procedure, quit being such a fuckin cocksucker if you don’t know a person’s situation.

On 12/22/2020 at 8:05 PM, horn4life said:

How does your wife like you announcing to the world that her downstairs is a wreck?

On 12/22/2020 at 12:19 PM, Bob Lives! said:

I had a tonsillectomy when I was 25 years old and thank G-d I did. I rarely get a sore throat anymore and when I do it’s not a very big deal. Recovery was not too terrible. Took a week or so. I thought I had completely recovered a few days later and I went out to a bar and took some sort of citrusy shot, lemon drop or some crap, and that burned like an MF. Besides that I don’t remember any big problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/23/2020 at 8:15 AM, freyguy said:

I take it the gag reflex is becoming too unbearable?

This is why I’m getting it right here. Other than a sore throat, I almost never get sick. But lately it’s been happening more and more and it’s becoming more and more unbearable when it happens (no covid). After going to the doc for the 2nd time about it he said to see an ENT doc, and they told me this should fix it for the most part. 

On 12/25/2020 at 2:04 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

This is why I’m getting it right here. Other than a sore throat, I almost never get sick. But lately it’s been happening more and more and it’s becoming more and more unbearable when it happens (no covid). After going to the doc for the 2nd time about it he said to see an ENT doc, and they told me this should fix it for the most part. 

So you’re the one