Houston @ Texas, 6:30 on LHN

Horny Bull

Someone pointed out that the 08 squad actually had a worse ERA than this squad.  It was Ruffin, Wood and Kasparek.  While I remember those names and as decentish pitchers, I don't remember that season very well, and I have been "watching" religiously since 2000 or 2001, and also from 84-91.  And this is the worst pitching I can recall Texas ever fielding.

Looking back, that was the year we went to the Rice regional and lost our opener to St. Johns, eliminated by Rice.  We did win the Big XII tourney though.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Someone pointed out that the 08 squad actually had a worse ERA than this squad.  It was Ruffin, Wood and Kasparek.  While I remember those names and as decentish pitchers, I don't remember that season very well, and I have been "watching" religiously since 2000 or 2001, and also from 84-91.  And this is the worst pitching I can recall Texas ever fielding.

That's the year Mizzou scored 30 on us. Seriously.  In a game in which we crushed future MLB pitcher Aaron Crow.  The pitching was terrible, but Kyle Russell was knocking balls out of the park left and right, as were lots of guys all over the country.  It was a different game with the old ball.  I think Ruffin moved to the starting rotation late in the year.  We still almost won 40 games

• Like 1

Texas                  IP  H  R ER BB SO AB BF  NP   ERA
--------------------------------------------------------
Wood, Austin........  2.0  7  6  6  0  1 13 13  41  6.69
Green, Cole.........  0.2  6  6  4  0  2  8  8  32  6.34
Thomas, Stayton.....  0.1  2  3  2  1  0  4  5  21  4.05
Walker, Kyle........  0.0  0  3  3  3  0  0  3  14 11.81
McCrory, Pat........  2.0  2  1  1  0  2  6  7  30  4.82
Street, Juston......  0.2  7  6  6  0  0  9  9  21 32.40
Bishop, Drew........  2.1  2  6  6  7  0  9 16  64 23.14

From that game against Mizzou.  Remember JustOn Street?

6 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

That's the year Mizzou scored 30 on us. Seriously.  In a game in which we crushed future MLB pitcher Aaron Crow.  The pitching was terrible, but Kyle Russell was knocking balls out of the park left and right, as were lots of guys all over the country.  It was a different game with the old ball.  I think Ruffin moved to the starting rotation late in the year.  We still almost won 40 games

Also Skip Johnson's second year as pitching coach.

2 minutes ago, Tailleur17 said:

Pierce will be gone in 2 years. Then we can hire a real baseball coach.

Not sure about that, but IMO he put us behind the 8-ball tonight by starting Stevens. Nothing against Stevens, but he wasn't ready to face a team with a pulse.

Just now, zlavydra said:

Not sure about that, but IMO he put us behind the 8-ball tonight by starting Stevens. Nothing against Stevens, but he wasn't ready to face a team with a pulse.

Whatever it is, Pierce and Haig seem to value something in pitchers other than experience and talent.  Stevens have any tats?

• Haha 1