San Antonio Spurs 2020-21 Season Thread: Puro Pinche Loteria

Kermit

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Is trading Rudy or DeMar or LMA really blowing it up?  And don't get fooled early on with closely collected standings.  Numbers say we're in the 10-15 range of teams.  You really think, except for the most homerish fan, that anyone looks at the Atlanta Hawks and says...... Yea, if Embiid gets hurt and Kyrie goes crazy, they really have a title shot.  I'm not sure.  Don't be satisfied with the playoffs, always look to get better.

Trading DeMar for picks or undeveloped talent probably makes us 6-10 wins worse which basically takes us out of playoff contention and creates a huge void in the veteran leader/go-to-guy role. 

I'm not satisfied with just making the playoffs, but this team has the potential to continue to build, add a max free agent, and as Derozan ages make a smooth transition from playoff team (who might be able to win a series or two each year) to a studly young up and coming squad. It's not like this is a garbage squad that will never go anywhere. With continued development of the young guys, continued good drafting, and smart use of the cap space we'll have in the near future, this team could get intself into contention. 

Trading LA makes a lot of sense. Trading Demar doesn't. He has more value to us over the next 3-4 years than the sum of assets we'd get back for him will. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Trading DeMar for picks or undeveloped talent probably makes us 6-10 wins worse which basically takes us out of playoff contention and creates a huge void in the veteran leader/go-to-guy role. 

I'm not satisfied with just making the playoffs, but this team has the potential to continue to build, add a max free agent, and as Derozan ages make a smooth transition from playoff team (who might be able to win a series or two each year) to a studly young up and coming squad. It's not like this is a garbage squad that will never go anywhere. With continued development of the young guys, continued good drafting, and smart use of the cap space we'll have in the near future, this team could get intself into contention. 

Trading LA makes a lot of sense. Trading Demar doesn't. He has more value to us over the next 3-4 years than the sum of assets we'd get back for him will. 

I mostly agree with this, but I don't think you can actually get much value for LMA. if you want to blow it up the best bet is just blowing it up. Send gay, Patty, DD, and LMA out for picks and young guys. I just think that sets the clock back three years for a realistic championship run. Right now they are one solid draft pick or few agent deal away from being able to make some noise. Blowing it up means closing the book on Pop's career.

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

Blowing it up means closing the book on Pop's career.

Yeah and that's a factor too. Pops don't grow on trees. Not many coaches could take Derozan, a bunch of young guys drafted in the 20s, and the corposes of Rudy Gay and LMA and win more than 30 games. I think we're in for some pain when Pop retires. And it'll be depressing to lose the last vestige of the 2000s Spurs.

40 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I want to agree with all of this and then I watch Demar get bodied and pieced by Dillon Brooks tonight. Dillon Brooks. 

Does it make me bitter if I make the point that the Grizzlies basically just got 2 weeks off and then we have to play them their first game back?

I guess they were missing Jo Val, but still. They were clearly well-rested and hungry to get back. It's almost a schedule loss. 

(Oh - and I forgot we were SEGABABA - so yeah, total schedule loss)

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Two weeks off isn’t a good thing. Players can get out of game shape quickly and their timing can get off. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Spurs pull out a close win.

I mean, this is an age old sports debate, isn't it?

In this instance I think it benefitted them. It was 106-100 in the 4th and then it was 126-108. That seems like fresh legs being able to dig a little deeper to me. 

The Grizzlies are young and haven't made the playoffs in awhile. I don't see them looking past anyone. If it was a different team I might agree with you.

Dillon Brooks out here nutting all over this Spurs team. Dillon Brooks. Am I missing something here? Dude is bodying up Demar and fucking shit up on defense. 

Again, this team is in trouble if all their opponents have to do is clog the paint and play zone. Can’t make a three to save their lives.

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

So glad we drafted Luka Dipshit over Brandon Clarke.

Every time I see his stat line..... it hurts.  Hurts real bad.  And I have him on my fantasy team so.....

shes-the-man-uti-1554136663.gif

And just like that.... we're the 10th seed including 2-5 division.  We could be back up to the 5th seed by the weekend, so a lot of volatility early in the season.

12 hours ago, Assman said:

I had a dream last night that Timmy came out of retirement and came off the bench giving us 15 and 10 per game. 

The funny thing is I'm 100% convinced he could. He's had, what, 3-4 years off now? I think he could play 25 mpg for 50ish games. Maybe not 15 and 10 but 12 and 8 or so seems reasonable.