San Antonio Spurs 2020-21 Season Thread: Puro Pinche Loteria

Kermit

54 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Luka is making a fan out of me. We may have something here, fellas. That kid is probably one of our better defenders the last three games. I didn’t think he had it in him, especially in that end of the court. 

I was going to post something about him. He might actually turn into a player. He looked so lost last year but he's very athletic and fluid for his size, and he's got a good looking shot. His becoming a plus defender wasn't really on my radar, but he's been impressive. And they really need another big, especially one who can stretch the floor and play defense, in the worst way. 

Say what you will about this organization, but they sure as shit know how to develop young players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I hate Luka's face almost as much as I hated Tony's face.

That's hilarious, I kinda like Luka's face. I like the fact that he's taking pride in his defense more. 

Last night was fun. The past few weeks (COVID break aside) have been fun. I'm hoping for a win tomorrow to go into ASB with some momentum, and come out of it with even more (in the form of Derrick White FINALLY being a full part of this rotation, and the return of Devin).

10 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

That's hilarious, I kinda like Luka's face, NTTAWWT. I like the fact that he's taking pride in his defense more. 

Last night was fun. The past few weeks (COVID break aside) have been fun. I'm hoping for a win tomorrow to go into ASB with some momentum, and come out of it with even more (in the form of Derrick White FINALLY being a full part of this rotation, and the return of Devin).

fify

I don't hate anyone's face that's a Spur. Well, Richard Jefferson, but he hasn't been a Spur in a long time thankfully. Also Kawhi. Anyway...

What in the motherfuck is on Luka's left arm? Please tell me that's like a family member that passed away or something.

I know it's the Knicks and all but Julius Randle is an all-star this year averaging 23/11 and Samanic at least held his own when he was matched up against him.

If this kid actually turns into something combined with the rest of the young pieces... they might be on to something. Conventional wisdom is that they need a superstar to win a title, and I don't really see anybody on their current roster ever qualifying as one, but they are accumulating some really nice young talent. Maybe they have enough assets to move for a disgruntled star? Maybe they are able to sign one in free agency who sees himself as the missing piece? Regardless, they are in a lot better spot and have a much brighter future than I would have predicted when the season started.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know it's the Knicks and all but Julius Randle is an all-star this year averaging 23/11 and Samanic at least held his own when he was matched up against him.

If this kid actually turns into something combined with the rest of the young pieces... they might be on to something. Conventional wisdom is that they need a superstar to win a title, and I don't really see anybody on their current roster ever qualifying as one, but they are accumulating some really nice young talent. Maybe they have enough assets to move for a disgruntled star? Maybe they are able to sign one in free agency who sees himself as the missing piece? Regardless, they are in a lot better spot and have a much brighter future than I would have predicted when the season started.

Is DJM too old? If he continues to progress the way he did this year, his career could have a Kawhi-like arc. Dude has only started 145 games at this point, which is about where Kawhi was after the 2014 championship.

I don't know if he'll be a star, but I don't know that I'd put it out of reach for him. He obviously isn't getting the credit for it yet, but he's playing at a near all-star level this year. The two guys right above him in WS/48 are Ja Morant and Devin Booker. And his usage is pretty low.

Edited by BradInATX

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Is DJM too old? If he continues to progress the way he did this year, his career could have a Kawhi-like arc. Dude has only started 145 games at this point, which is about where Kawhi was after the 2014 championship.

I don't know if he'll be a star, but I don't know that I'd put it out of reach for him. He obviously isn't getting the credit for it yet, but he's playing at a near all-star level this year. The two guys right above him in WS/48 are Ja Morant and Devin Booker. And his usage is pretty low.

He's been great and way exceeded expectations this season, but I have a hard time imagining his ceiling being close to the nephew's. Still, it's hard to ignore the progress he's made, especially on offense. Here's a comparison of Kawhi's fourth season to DJ's current season (his fourth). It's not as far off as I'd thought and considering that DJ missed an entire season due to injury...

Rk Player Season Age G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1 Kawhi Leonard 2014-15 23 64 64 31.8 6.2 12.8 .479 1.0 3.0 .349 5.1 9.8 .519 .520 3.2 3.9 .802 1.3 5.9 7.2 2.5 2.3 0.8 1.5 2.0 16.5
2 Dejounte Murray 2020-21 24 31 31 30.9 6.5 14.2 .454 1.1 3.3 .330 5.4 10.9 .491 .492 1.8 2.2 .812 0.6 6.5 7.1 5.3 1.6 0.1 1.5 2.1 15.8

16 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

He's been great and way exceeded expectations this season, but I have a hard time imagining his ceiling being close to the nephew's. Still, it's hard to ignore the progress he's made, especially on offense. Here's a comparison of Kawhi's fourth season to DJ's current season (his fourth). It's not as far off as I'd thought and considering that DJ missed an entire season due to injury...

Rk Player Season Age G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1 Kawhi Leonard 2014-15 23 64 64 31.8 6.2 12.8 .479 1.0 3.0 .349 5.1 9.8 .519 .520 3.2 3.9 .802 1.3 5.9 7.2 2.5 2.3 0.8 1.5 2.0 16.5
2 Dejounte Murray 2020-21 24 31 31 30.9 6.5 14.2 .454 1.1 3.3 .330 5.4 10.9 .491 .492 1.8 2.2 .812 0.6 6.5 7.1 5.3 1.6 0.1 1.5 2.1 15.8

Yeah, this season for DJM is really his third. If DJ has another nice year of progress, his numbers could be as good or better than Kawhi's in your comparison. But, if we're using my parallel (basically saying Murray's season minus one = Kawhi's season), DJ is two years older, which could mean he's peaked out more.

Also Murray isn't a giant cunt, which gives him a leg up on Kawhi.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, this season for DJM is really his third. If DJ has another nice year of progress, his numbers could be as good or better than Kawhi's in your comparison. But, if we're using my parallel (basically saying Murray's season minus one = Kawhi's season), DJ is two years older, which could mean he's peaked out more.

Also Murray isn't a giant cunt, which gives him a leg up on Kawhi.

If you only use the NBA seasons don't you also overlook that Kawhi played two years in college and DJM only one? In their 4th years Kawhi is a year older, and DJ also missed a year due to injury.

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I feel like Pop is trying to cram too many guys into the rotation. I get that assessing what he has is a big part of where we're at as a franchise but at some point I'd like to play to win every game. 

Such as?  Reads like you're advocating in shortening the rotation.  How so?

18 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Such as?  Reads like you're advocating in shortening the rotation.  How so?

It's a little trickier with Aldridge in and out. Lyles, Eubanks and Diop have been getting a ton of minutes. Diop is still in a very developmental stage. I'm not really sure what Eubanks brings to the floor. Lyles has been playing well but I'm not sure he should ever be a 30 minute a night type guy for us.

Again, Aldridge has come and gone. Keldon missed a few games. I never like second guessing Pop - just commenting on what I'm seeing. Our rotation at the 4 and 5 spots seems all over the place.

OKC seems to bring out the worst in them. That's a bad loss. That's about the most sloppy I can remember them playing all year. For all of their faults, they have done a great job protecting the ball most of the season. 

@ztejasthe front line rotation is wonky because our front line is bad. When the poodle is your best player over 6'9", you know you're in trouble. His being in foul trouble cripples their defense and LA being out kills their depth. Even Rudy has been playing some 4 so they're really short handed. They should just roll with Luka. It's the best thing for them long term and maybe even short term. 

Even though Lyles has looked better recently, he plays losing basketball. I don't know what it is about the guy - he's got good size, decent athleticism and some skill - but he just doesn't get the job done. 

11 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They should just roll with Luka. It's the best thing for them long term and maybe even short term. 

I think that's what I'm getting at. If you're going to buy into the kid then buy into him. I don't get what taking him off the court for Eubanks is supposed to do. 

11 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

I expect nothing to happen like it always does when any trade rumors involving the Spurs come out.

Also - holy shit, Vucevic is just under 25/12/4 on the season. 

Edited by ztejas

14 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Of course.  The league is zigging so Pop wants to zag.  His fascination with traditional bigs is motivated by the obvious.  

Let's see:

Rk Player Season Age G MP PER TS% 3PAr FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG%   OWS DWS WS WS/48   OBPM DBPM BPM VORP
1 LaMarcus Aldridge 2014-15 29 71 2512 22.8 .528 .074 .256 7.7 22.9 15.5 9.2 1.0 1.9 7.2 30.2   4.9 3.7 8.6 .165   3.2 -0.3 2.9 3.1
2 Nikola Vučević 2020-21 30 36 1220 24.2 .571 .317 .128 5.7 30.7 17.8 21.1 1.4 1.7 7.2 29.4   2.4 1.6 4.0 .156   5.9 0.1 6.0 2.5

That's the last season for LMA in Portland.  Feels much the same.  I'd say it'd probably cost LMA (feel bad for the guy, but he's going to ring chase next year) and probably White, who's been injured all season but was probably our best overall young player last year.  He's a little older when he came out so I think he's already 27 or close.

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

I had a feeling this was going to happen. I think it's best for both parties. 

Shame it's gonna end this way.  The indignity of the Andre Drummond treatment.  He was a good soldier when he didn't have to be.  Hope we can find somewhere he can get some minutes and then go ring chasing next year.  

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Shame it's gonna end this way.  The indignity of the Andre Drummond treatment.  He was a good soldier when he didn't have to be.  Hope we can find somewhere he can get some minutes and then go ring chasing next year.  

I hope you guys like Myers Leonard.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He was a good soldier when he didn't have to be.

Yes and no. Was a pouty bitch when he first arrived cuz the team didn't revolve around him and it showed in his play. Shame, too, cuz if he had try harded, the Spurs might've done something in Timmy's final season. Believe he admitted as much (that he sulked at times that first season).

But, yeah, he's been a good soldier ever since. Not a good fit in today's game, but a good soldier, nevertheless.

On 3/8/2021 at 8:05 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Of course.  The league is zigging so Pop wants to zag.  His fascination with traditional bigs is motivated by the obvious.  

Let's see:

Rk Player Season Age G MP PER TS% 3PAr FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG%   OWS DWS WS WS/48   OBPM DBPM BPM VORP
1 LaMarcus Aldridge 2014-15 29 71 2512 22.8 .528 .074 .256 7.7 22.9 15.5 9.2 1.0 1.9 7.2 30.2   4.9 3.7 8.6 .165   3.2 -0.3 2.9 3.1
2 Nikola Vučević 2020-21 30 36 1220 24.2 .571 .317 .128 5.7 30.7 17.8 21.1 1.4 1.7 7.2 29.4   2.4 1.6 4.0 .156   5.9 0.1 6.0 2.5

That's the last season for LMA in Portland.  Feels much the same.  I'd say it'd probably cost LMA (feel bad for the guy, but he's going to ring chase next year) and probably White, who's been injured all season but was probably our best overall young player last year.  He's a little older when he came out so I think he's already 27 or close.

On 3/8/2021 at 8:20 PM, Kermit said:

Trading Derrick White for that stiff would be a stupid mistake. I can see them unloading Lonnie Walker though. 

Vucevic is shooting .412 from 3 on 6.5 attempts per game and dishing close to 4 dimes per game. He also shoots .851 from the line. If he's a stiff he's the greatest stiff in NBA history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Yes and no. Was a pouty bitch when he first arrived cuz the team didn't revolve around him and it showed in his play. Shame, too, cuz if he had try harded, the Spurs might've done something in Timmy's final season. Believe he admitted as much (that he sulked at times that first season).

But, yeah, he's been a good soldier ever since. Not a good fit in today's game, but a good soldier, nevertheless.

Pop admitted he didn't use him in the right way as well and they got together like men, ironed it out, and then LMA was a good player for the Spurs.  His first year, he actually had one of the best years of his career, so it really wasn't some huge disaster.  He wasn't a superstar, he was never a superstar, but a good AS level player for 4 years and then what he is now.  I think there's a place for him in today's game.  He can still pick and pop and has his fadeaway off the block, but yea, he's not a face up, dive or spot up at the 3 point line guy either, although he's tried the last year and half.  Dude just got old and the Spurs never cashed in on him.  Another dude that could play, but obviously wasn't part of the rebuild, who the Spurs won't get much for.  Yea, some cap room and maybe what?  Couple of 2nd rounders?  Maybe a late first for LMA and 2nd? 

If you don't think he's a good fit in today's game, then it's weird we'd be interested in Vuc, who is a very good player, but has his own warts on defense (good rebounder).